Are all atheists just unspiritual self-absorbed robots?

BillRM

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Let see the steady state theory of the universe was never accepted as the override theory and for your information the big bang theory was accepted long before Hawking was born.

Yes the god of the christian bible is evil by human moral standards can you just see the millions of innocent children being drown in their parents arms during the flood for example.

Quote:
You want it all handed to you on a silver platter? Again, it's not a physics or math text but God gave us an intellect and wanted us to figure out how to have dominion over the earth by ourselves.

Not giving information is one thing but here we are talking about incorrect information.
Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 05:06 pm
@BillRM,
Meh... Next you will tell me the Big Bang theory is older than the bible.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 05:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
my language is in fact Dutch.

Ah, No wonder you didn't understand your English.

That's ok though. It seems you didn't understand my English either.

Setanta wrote:

Leadfoot has scant room to criticize anyone else's command of English.

I concur.

Leadfoot wrote:

I assume you are talking about science related facts. It's not a science book but what you said is not true. Before Stephen Hawking made his recent statement about the universe springing into existance from nothing, the bible said all was void and then everything sprang into existence with but a word from God. We can quibble about the source but the fact is that physicists assumed for many years that the universe was always here. There is lots more but I really don't think you give a ****.

I do like this though:

Leadfoot wrote:
You want it all handed to you on a silver platter? Again, it's not a physics or math text but God gave us an intellect and wanted us to figure out how to have dominion over the earth by ourselves. But there are even more important things he wanted you to figure out as well.

So what are these more important things he wants us to figure out? Thankfully, we don't have to ponder this matter for long. The answer is of course given in the very next post:

Leadfoot wrote:

Action Comics Issue #1, June, 1938

Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 05:16 pm
@najmelliw,
OMG! Caught me in THREE (3) typos. There goes all my cred...
Quote:

So what are these more important things he wants us to figure out? Thankfully, we don't have to ponder this matter for long. The answer is of course given in the very next post:

Leadfoot wrote:
"Action Comics Issue #1, June, 1938"

The Dutch just don't get God's sense of humor.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Amoh5, Lead foot, seriously. I really am worn out on arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin or equivalent arguments. Please show me a solid, fact-based, fallacy-free reason to think that such a supernatural creator-being exists. I'm not swayed by what makes me feel good. I can live happily without daydreams of what might be.

And still you feel compelled to comment. Why waste your time?

Good question. Why do you continue to waste your time spreading your religious fantasies when you have so far completely failed to convince anyone?
FBM

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
8 Things You Probably Didn't Know Babies Can Do Before They Turn 12 Months Old

Don't know how accurate that is but, Pretty mystical, huh?

I repeat: I don't see anything mystical about it at all. Please explain how you get mysticism from this.
Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:08 pm
@FBM,
Quote:

I repeat: I don't see anything mystical about it at all. Please explain how you get mysticism from this.

Don't take it so seriously FBM, just ****'n with ya.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 07:16 pm
@FBM,
Quote:

Good question. Why do you continue to waste your time spreading your religious fantasies when you have so far completely failed to convince anyone?
Hell, I told you long ago I can't convince anyone. I just came over to compare notes with a fellow self deluded nut case that started this thread.

You won't find me on any of the spectator sports threads trying to save them from their delusions. So why are you here? Surly you know you can't save us either...
FBM

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 08:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
a) It's good intellectual exercise.
b) It's good for society when people resist anything and everything that promotes satisfaction with ignorance, discrimination, oppression, faulty reasoning, denialism and all the ills that humankind suffers because of those things.
Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 09:24 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
b) It's good for society when people resist anything and everything that promotes satisfaction with ignorance, discrimination, oppression, faulty reasoning, denialism and all the ills that humankind suffers because of those things.
And you set yourself up to make that call on simple speech? That same sentiment has been used by a lot of people. Hitler, the KKK, radical Islam, the Catholic church, McCarthy, etc. How far are you willing to go?
hingehead

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Hitler,

I call Godwin. Bye.
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:15 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
And you set yourself up to make that call on simple speech? That same sentiment has been used by a lot of people. Hitler, the KKK, radical Islam, the Catholic church, McCarthy, etc. How far are you willing to go?

Posting online.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:46 pm
I think even though we may all have different perceptions whether it be atheism, theism or whatever, we should still be able to communicate in a respectful manner. Not have some predjudice idea against another perception and behave in a disrespectful manner, because that reminds me of racial predjudice. People thinking they are more superior than someone else is a delusion. We all fall from grace at sometime in our lives. However, perfection is a goal for a lot of us whether it is possible or not. As a Christian I get accused of not having a grip on reality. I know life is just a lot of blood, sweat and tears. But I also know that life is also about "positive thinking" and thats where Lord Jesus comes in for me. I wonder what keeps the mind positive for other perceptions atheism, deism, selfism or whatever?
hingehead

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:06 pm
@Amoh5,
I'm of the Tim Minchin school, for the most part.

http://www.timminchin.com/2013/09/25/occasional-address/
FBM

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:21 pm
@hingehead,
Thanks for that. It was well worth the watch. For those who don't feel like following the link:

0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:38 pm
@hingehead,
Thanks, hinge and FBM for the introduction to him, I think he's very good.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Thu 8 Oct, 2015 08:03 am
@hingehead,
I just finished work and read the Tim Minchin speech, very impressive indeed. Hard work, dedication, healthy body and a sense of humor are indeed virtues for success, not to mention his graduation achievement. His sense of compassion towards less fortunate people tells me he is a master of his own mind. A very positive and inspirational human being I would say. He must have been brought up around some very positive people. I'm always happy to see people achieving and improving their quality of life. We need positive people like Tim and many others to help us get pass all the negativities and imperfections of life. I think we all have something positive we can contribute to help our fellow human beings, regardless of our different perceptions whether it be atheism, theism, deism or whatever. Wellness, happiness and prosperity for all humankind must be our only objective which can only be achieved by "positive thinking".
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 8 Oct, 2015 08:26 am
@hingehead,
Quote:

I'm of the Tim Minchin school, for the most part.

http://www.timminchin.com/2013/09/25/occasional-address/
Minchin is obviously a talented guy but also one of contradictions. He starts out by telling you authoritatively and absolutely that there is no meaning to anything. This he repeats several times throughout his talk and recommends the works of some of his favorite people (all atheists of course). Then in the midst of his 10 tips for living he says to always be examining yourself for biases. (! except for Tim's of course! ) Also, 'Be a teacher and spread your ideas' (presumably as long as you agree with his premise of meaninglessness). Then he wraps it up by saying not to define yourself by the things you oppose. (again, unless you oppose finding any meaning in life for which opposition is mandatory).

Sorry Tim, I'm not buying.
hingehead

Thu 8 Oct, 2015 12:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
Wow. What an incredibly unsurprising conclusion for you to come to, courtesy of spurious logic and a deep lack of comprehension.

Bravo!
Leadfoot

Thu 8 Oct, 2015 12:47 pm
@hingehead,
I took the trouble to point out the contradictions in Tim's diatribe.
You apparently can't be bothered to point out mine. If you can, I'm listening...