5 month old , bored already??

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:42 am
I am always worried about being a good mom. In fact I probally obsess over it. Like many of you have seen in my prior posts! Smile
Anyways.. I was noticing my 5 mnth old and her behaviors lately , really seem to lead me to think... she is bored.....
?????
Is this possible? Maybe I am doing too much with her? Maybe I am doing too little??
Our days consist of.. ( in this order ) waking, stretching , eating, talking , reading a book , nap time, walks outside sometimes lunch outside , music, small nap , toys- stuffed or colored blocks, playing on the floor, reading a book. then family comes home and she is passed around before getting ready for bed.
All through out the day I am talking to her. I tell her everything. What I am doing, I explain colors, let her touch trees, rocks, grass, furniture etc.. all the while explaining things. Lately, she just seems really bored. She isnt interested , and when I read a book to her she gets upset.
Am I just worrying too much? Embarrassed Or is this a common thing with kids?

Thanks for and advice...
The ever obsessive mom
Melissa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,539 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:44 am
LOL! Maybe she's just tired. Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:45 am
As a kid who needed "me time" from an early age, I suspect that might be it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
Teething?

I seem to remember there is a growth spurt around there that causes grumpiness, too.

Can you tell me more about what you mean by "bored"? What specific behaviors she's doing that make you think that?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Smile Is she yawning while you read?
Does she have any down time?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:17 pm
Re: 5 month old , bored already??
shewolfnm wrote:
I am always worried about being a good mom. In fact I probally obsess over it. Like many of you have seen in my prior posts! Smile
Anyways.. I was noticing my 5 mnth old and her behaviors lately , really seem to lead me to think... she is bored.....
?????
Is this possible? Maybe I am doing too much with her? Maybe I am doing too little??
Our days consist of.. ( in this order ) waking, stretching , eating, talking , reading a book , nap time, walks outside sometimes lunch outside , music, small nap , toys- stuffed or colored blocks, playing on the floor, reading a book. then family comes home and she is passed around before getting ready for bed.
All through out the day I am talking to her. I tell her everything. What I am doing, I explain colors, let her touch trees, rocks, grass, furniture etc.. all the while explaining things. Lately, she just seems really bored. She isnt interested , and when I read a book to her she gets upset.
Am I just worrying too much? Embarrassed Or is this a common thing with kids?

Thanks for and advice...
The ever obsessive mom
Melissa

That could be a lot of deliberate stimulation... I did a lot of that with my kids, but not deliberately for x amt of time/day... I would get tired, too, if that were my schedule when I wanted to learn at my own pace... I am betting it's a growth spurt unless you see teething behavior. Are you trying to foster a love of boks and reading in your dd? I would suggest you get one of those bead things and let her follow your moving the beads over the thing... THAT is supposed to trainthe eye to follow words... Just relax a bit and enjoy your baby! They are little for only such a short time! (sez a mom of 5 w/ages ranging from 23-5)

Aloha, PP
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
I do think she is teething. I started seeing signs about a month ago. I give her cold toys to chew on through out the day.
WHen I say I am reading to her, I dont mean that I am reading a novel.. hehe.. I have small picture books that have a few words in them . I put her on my lap and open the pages , talk about the colors , show her the words, talk about what she sees etc... That is when she get s 'bored'.
She gets this look on her face like that of a big sigh.. starts rubbing her eyes, will 'talk' very loudly , turn away and then I put down the book and let her play on the floor. Other times during the day she has that same look. Like she is just worn out. The amount of eye contact she gives has gone down , little diddies that I sing to her that used to interest her now dont, certain sounds that would catch her attention now dont, she seems to have lost interest in rolling on the floor, cooing, pulling herself up.. for the most part. Does this kind of tired behavior happen before a growth spurt?
I give her plenty of time byherself during the day. Usually about an hour - 1/2 hours ( broke up during the day of course) and I dont 'make' her read or do other stuff. I just have a time of day that I will start reading to her to try to give her a sence of structure.
-----Sigh---- I read over my post and I realize I sure DO focus more on what I can do for her then just enjoying my baby.

Maybe that is it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:49 am
Definitely, relax and enjoy her. I'm impressed at your efforts and scheduling; I wasn't nearly so organized. We just kind of drifted from one thing to another; we had a core schedule (maybe 15% of the day) and then the rest was whatever struck our fancy.

I still have a terrible time remembering specifics (what exact age correllated with what), but I think it was around there that sozlet liked books with pictures of babies. She definitely didn't like all books all the time -- she had preferences. This one was a big hit around there, I think:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0517800802.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Wow! Babies!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
This one, too:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0789436507.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.gif

Baby Faces

That series (DK padded books) were all early favorites.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:16 am
shewolf--

You don't come across as an introverted, withdrawn type. Perhaps your daughter has your need for action and motion and getting out and about?

This is the season for water play--supervised, of course--and walks and playground observation. A few sessions of playground observation will give her all kinds of ideas on How To Bug and Bewilder Mommie.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 04:56 pm
That is a good idea Noddy. I never thought about that. I mean, I do take her outside to our backyard, sometimes to even eat lunch. ( well her lunch is in a glass jar. :-) ) I have never thought to take her to a park or something like that.
I think we will do that next week while Dad is off to work.

Who is the author of those books Soz? Where would I find them? Barnes & Nobel ? Or places like Toys R Us?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:08 pm
The links (names of the books under the pictures) take you to Amazon (though not through A2K -- if you buy 'em, use this link, and A2K will get a few cents), you can buy them there. They're at most bookstores, though.

The first one is by an author named Peggy Gentieu, the other is from a series by a publisher (no specific author) called Dorling Kindersley, they have a ton of books, lots of different series for different ages, this one is from their "padded board book" series. Really good for the tiniest kiddies.

Definitely on the walks - novelty - parks - new faces thing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
So babies at her age like baby faces? Or just faces in general? What else are they attracted too besides bold colors and simple drawings?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:40 am
Slight change of focus--don't forget music.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:37 am
In terms of books, sozlet especially liked looking at baby faces. In terms of outings/ sociability, she just liked to get out in public now and then, see and be seen. ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
I found that toddlers--at least male toddlers--were very interested in attracting worshippers in public places.

Little Old Ladies were welcome, but not terribly exciting as admirers. Boys--teenagers down to run-around babies--were very high status and worth a great deal of effort.

Kids should come with rulebooks, but the human race is so varied that there isn't enough paper to print one for each parent.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:00 am
Hi Melissa. You sound like a great mom who is worrying too much, but the next time you see her MD, you might ask him or her to make sure there is nothing amiss. Meanwhile, here are some ideas for breaking up the day and getting that baby excited. Very Happy First of all, have you thought about NOT talking to her all the time? Let her initiate a little of the conversation. Of course, you smile grandly and ham it up... but let her greet you first. Do you play bee in the barn? Peek-a-boo? Motorboat? Horsie? Let her "pretend" to walk? Toss her around a little? Does she have a big box or something to mess with? Does anybody drag her around in a wagon?

Mostly I agree that getting out and about is a good idea. Was it Spock who suggested a daily outing of an hour or more? It's good for mom and baby. This should be more than just a stroll around the neighborhood. Take her to a store. Show her big or colorful or different... even the mall if it is as hot where you are as it is here. Does she know about animals? The zoo? A children's museum?

Your baby may also be getting to the point where she wants to meet other kids. Do you have any friends with children? It doesn't matter their ages, too much... anybody under ten is likely to be really interesting.

Waterplay is a blast. Nothing more fun that getting wet, having fun and squealing about it. Does she have a small pool? Remember, you don't have to fill it all the way full. Just an inch and let her lie on her tummy for a bit. Then add some more water and let her sit in it and splash.

A lot of people have sand boxes but I like some of the other tactile fillings better... wheat berries are oily and lots of fun to feel. Don't worry, she won't eat much.

This is summer... have you had picnics? What is she eating? Anything fun? Does she have a swing? How about a bouncer? My kids adored this and it hung near the kitchen while I cooked. (According to the catalog -- suggested from 3 months on.):

http://www.baby-boom.co.uk/acatalog/TippitoesDoorwayBouncerSmall.jpg
0 Replies