SU-34: Coming after Obunga's ISIS butt buddies....

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 04:01 pm
@oralloy,
I see no reason why Russia shouldnt bear the responsibility of cleaning up this mess. (As long as their **** flies strait ).
I think ultimately the Russians will want to depose Al Assad in the end game. Hes a liability to them and they readily admit it.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 04:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I see no reason why Russia shouldnt bear the responsibility of cleaning up this mess. (As long as their **** flies strait ).
I think ultimately the Russians will want to depose Al Assad in the end game. Hes a liability to them and they readily admit it.

No one can answer what come next in a positive way. And look what happened to Iraq after Saddam, Libya after Gadhafi and Yugoslavia after Tito. Some places need a tough leader, without them they descend into chaos. Putin is not wrong about Syria.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 05:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
lets wait till its supposed to be over. Russia leads the world in incompetence. As far as "Carrier Killers" , remember, there are two kinds of ships, SUBMARINES and TARGETS
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

lets wait till its supposed to be over. Russia leads the world in incompetence. As far as "Carrier Killers" , remember, there are two kinds of ships, SUBMARINES and TARGETS

Russia circa 1995, not Russia 2015.

You are very behind the times my friend.

And keep in mind that Putin is the only person on the planet who has defeated these "we want to burn down the world" bastardization of muslim extremists on the battlefield . Considering how much our country sucks at this job a little respect of Vladimir Putin is in order. The fact that The Professor cant manage this task should not keep you from pulling your head out of your ass.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Our carriers used to be able to bomb from a very great distance (far enough to stay out of range of any anti-ship missiles) using the A-6 Intruder. It was very short-sighted of us to not replace that capability when we retired the last A-6s in 1997.

More recently the US government was developing an unmanned bomber for our carriers, which would also allow them to strike from a safe distance, but the Navy has been sabotaging the project because they see it as a threat to manned aviation.

The only reason our carriers don't have the ability to strike from a safe distance is because we are choosing not to have such a capability.

That said, I agree with your assessment of the value of submarines.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That said, I agree with your assessment of the value of submarines.

you guys are stuck back in WW2. Today it is about drones, good computer software, and satellites. The actual putting the explosives on the target is the easy part, finding the target is the hard part.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 07:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
you guys are stuck back in WW2. Today it is about drones, good computer software, and satellites.

Drones, software, and satellites won't keep a sub from sinking enemy vessels.

hawkeye10 wrote:
The actual putting the explosives on the target is the easy part, finding the target is the hard part.

Our submariners are up to the task.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 01:57 am
Quote:
The Russian leader is winning accolades from many in Iraq and Syria, who see Russian airstrikes in Syria as a turning point after more than a year of largely ineffectual efforts by the U.S.-led coalition to dislodge the Islamic State militants who have occupied significant parts of the two countries.

The reactions underscore that while the West may criticize Putin for supporting Syrian President Bashar Assad, there is some relief in the region at the emergence of a player with a coherent - if controversial - strategy.

"Putin does more than just speak," said Sohban Elewi of Damascus, summing up the views of Syrians on opposing camps who regard U.S. policy in Syria and Iraq as fumbled and confused.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_MIDEAST_PUTIN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Putin does not have to pass a high bar to be the most competent player on the field.

Quote:
Another cartoon shows a bare-chested Putin holding IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi by the collar of his jalabaya, looking very intimidating. He says to al-Baghdadi: "Where do you think you're going? I'll flatten you like flour," a popular Iraqi expression.

Al-Baghdadi, holding a cellphone, shouts: "Obama, save me!"
Laughing
gungasnake

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 02:48 am
http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/excellent-footage-russian-battle-helicopters-blasting-socks-isil-video/ri10422
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 03:06 am
Quote:
Two shells have struck the Russian embassy compound in the Syrian capital Damascus as hundreds of pro-government supporters rallied outside in support of Russian air strikes.

A BBC Arabic correspondent in Damascus says some people have been injured.

The explosions triggered widespread panic and smoke was seen coming from the embassy compound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34515498
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 05:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Al-Baghdadi, holding a cellphone, shouts: "Obama, save me!"

The Iraqis have been tedious for some time now. The only people in the entire region who haven't been double crossing us are the Kurds.

If we want to shift strategies in the region, we should consider supporting an independent Kurdistan, carved from both Iraqi and Syrian land, and help the Kurds capture whatever Iraqi/Syrian territory they desire for their new state.

Turkey might whine at us, but oh well.

EDIT: I suppose "entire region" is a vague term. I certainly don't mean to suggest that the Israelis are double crossing us.
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 05:21 am
I find myself in the odd position of agreeing wholeheartedly with Oralloy. Ironically, in 2013, not long before ISIS erupted on the scene, Turkey had completed negotiations with the PKK for a cease-fire and a disarming of Kurdish forces in southeast Turkey. The unfortunate consequence of this was that when ISIS invaded Iraqi Kurdistan, the Kurds did not have the arms and ammunition to effectively resist them. The Kurds have been over the last few decades the most reliable fighting force in the region, apart from the Syrian military. We should at least arm them and supply them with the wherewithal to fight ISIS and drive them out of Kurdish territory.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 05:22 am
@oralloy,
I always wondered why we treat the Kurds as second class cousins from West Virginia.

They are like the Sikhs,they could be damn good friends.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 09:42 am

Popular Mechanics has a speculative article describing a hypothetical conflict between the US and Russia in Syria, and how it could quickly escalate:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a17730/what-a-us-russian-war-in-syria-would-look-like/
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 01:41 pm
Turkey warns U.S., Russia against backing Kurdish militia in Syria

Turkey has warned the United States and Russia it will not tolerate Kurdish territorial gains by Kurdish militia close to its frontiers in north-western Syria, two senior officials said.

"This is clear cut for us and there is no joking about it," one official said of the possibility of Syrian Kurdish militia crossing the Euphrates to extend control along Turkish borders from Iraq's Kurdistan region towards the Mediterranean coast.

Turkey fears advances by Kurdish YPG militia, backed by its PYD political wing, on the Syrian side of its 900 km (560-mile) border will fuel separatist ambitions among Kurds in its own southeastern territories. But Washington has supported YPG fighters as an effective force in combating Islamic State.

more...
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 01:54 pm
@InfraBlue,
On gets the sense that Turkey is the next country in the region to blow up, they are under great strain and their leadership sucks. I would not be surprised if they drop out of NATO soon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 02:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Turkey has warned the United States and Russia it will not tolerate Kurdish territorial gains by Kurdish militia close to its frontiers in north-western Syria, two senior officials said.

"This is clear cut for us and there is no joking about it," one official said of the possibility of Syrian Kurdish militia crossing the Euphrates to extend control along Turkish borders from Iraq's Kurdistan region towards the Mediterranean coast.

Turkey fears advances by Kurdish YPG militia, backed by its PYD political wing, on the Syrian side of its 900 km (560-mile) border will fuel separatist ambitions among Kurds in its own southeastern territories. But Washington has supported YPG fighters as an effective force in combating Islamic State.

more...

I'm sure that we could arm the Kurds well enough that they could protect themselves adequately from Turkish aggression.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:55 pm
SU-34 being referred to in news articles as a bomber and not a fighter.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:59 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

more...

I'm sure that we could arm the Kurds well enough that they could protect themselves adequately from Turkish aggression.

HAHAHAHAHA

Neither the US or Russia gives a flying **** what the bosses of Turkey want. The Turks are not going to go to war with either is us, so they can **** off.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:59 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

more...

HAHAHAHAHA

Neither the US nor Russia gives a flying **** what the bosses of Turkey want. They are not going to war with either of us, the elite of Turkey are just barely hanging on to power and everyone knows it.