SU-34: Coming after Obunga's ISIS butt buddies....

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 10:38 am
MAD *has* worked pretty well. Total nuclear disarmament advocates are dream'n.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 02:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
There has to be a better way. We've come within inches of Armageddon several times during the cold war due to computer malfunctions.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 02:40 pm
@gungasnake,
I still worry more about human miscalculation.
Human drivers vs Google self driving car comparison anyone?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 05:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I fully expect that the Assad/Russia/Iran team will change battle plans now, will prioritize sealing the Syrian/Turkey border to Daesh. Last I heard this border had been about 300 miles but was down to about 50. I highly doubt that the kurds will allow Daesh resupply, so doing this will remove Erdoğan from the board. His idiotic downing of a Russian plane is justification for taking out Erdoğan before attention is turned to the final solution to Daesh.

Looks like I was correct (not that this is unusual natch):

http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/europe/2015/11/russia-hits-turkey-changing-syria-game-151129172933416.html

If Putin can now seal the Syrian/Turkish border to both Daesh and the anti Assad militias everything changes. Looks to me like Erdoğan is about to pay a very hefty price for his act of aggression, for ******* with Putin.
roger

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 05:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Would you consider it an act of aggression if the US protected its own borders?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 05:19 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Would you consider it an act of aggression if the US protected its own borders?

Turkey was supposed to be a pal of Russia, this is like the US shooting down a Canadian jet that according to the US floated across US air space for 17 seconds and then we shot it down as they were headed back to Canada, with the plane crashing several miles into Canada....it would not be an act of protecting the US, it would be an act of aggressive stupidity against a friend. And the Friendship would be over.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 07:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
very good analogy.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 07:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
I'm hoping to die of old age before ever seeing a self-driving car....
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 07:37 pm
@gungasnake,
Well, I'll let go of the steering wheel when they pull it out of my cold dead...

Some things are worth risking death for.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 05:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Turkey was supposed to be a pal of Russia, this is like the US shooting down a Canadian jet that according to the US floated across US air space for 17 seconds and then we shot it down as they were headed back to Canada,
Turkey was working at decent relations that were only agreed to after the death of Soviet Russia.
The analogy is kinda lame unless you would consider , instead of Canada, it should be CUBA, and the US was bombing Mexico by over-flying Cuba. Cuba gave us several warnings (as did Turkey to Russia) and then scrambled.(Course, we would have sent different apparatus)
So, like Russia once fired on and brought down a Commercial airliner as it flew off course over the Sakhalin Is, . As roger said, is Russia the only one who you grant the right of protecting their borders under threat of an increasingly ambitious Russian leader.

I think you and gunga are bent on fellating Putin , I really dont understand your stances (OH YEH, you both hate Obama )
NSFW (view)
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:02 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I think you and gunga are bent on fellating Putin , I really dont understand your stances (OH YEH, you both hate Obama )

A great deal of what Putin has done over the years is revolting. But he leads, he knows how to move the levers of power to get what he wants, which is highly appealing when I look around the West and see a bunch of ineffectual leaders who seem to have little or no idea of where to go, and who lack the inclination/ability to take the harder roads. And it is refreshing to see a leader so beloved by his people that they they line up behind him still in times of hardship.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:19 am
@hawkeye10,
thats total BS. One can LEAD like the king Lemming, but it all goes over a cliff.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 11:07 am
Putin is very clearly the best leader Russia has had since Tsar Peter. Bork Obunga is just as clearly the worst any advance state has ever had since Nero.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 03:07 pm
Back on the subject of warplanes, it's funny, but if we are serious about helping the few good guys in the fight against ISIS, it's an ugly old school 1960s era plane that the Airforce has been trying to kill since the late 1980s that is most useful. The A10 Warthog is unmatched in close air support. And it's 'cheap' too.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 03:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Back on the subject of warplanes, it's funny, but if we are serious about helping the few good guys in the fight against ISIS, it's an ugly old school 1960s era plane that the Airforce has been trying to kill since the late 1980s that is most useful. The A10 Warthog is unmatched in close air support. And it's 'cheap' too.

And the f-35 cant do the job very well, and it is super expensive. I am beginning to think that the A-10 is going to be like the B-52, keeps going and going.......

I think I read though that if these things are going to have to go more than a half dozen more years that they are going to need to be remanufactured, as they are near the end of their useful life.
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 05:34 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
like the B-52, keeps going and going.......

The B-52s and B-1bs are about to go to the scrapyard, unless we give them to Israel (which we might do).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 06:16 am
Putin is certainly the most successful thief who has ever ruled Russia.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 07:42 am
@Setanta,
And the gayest.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 01:00 am
@hawkeye10,
Russia spends a fraction of what we do on military affairs but, funny thing, Russia's military is actually geared towards winning wars; ours is geared towards lining the pockets of fat-cats. Things like modern aircraft carriers or that horrible F35 fighter/bomber are basically fat-cat pocket-lining technologies and once you realize that, then everything else you read about them makes sense. They are quite admirably suited for that primary purpose in fact.