Why vote? GOP doesn't see the need

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:53 am
Sagamore wrote:
Fishin' is attempting to muddy the waters of discussion with a trick question. His intent, no doubt, was to point out that no democrats voted in the primaries of the states listed. Fishin' knows that he has listed the caucus states, who do not have a primary election per se. They opt to selct their delegates through the caucus process and not through direct election as one would do in a primary state. Nice try but as transparent as glass. I don't even see your point, though.

The list Fishin gave us is incorrect in part. Delaware did have a primary on 2.3.04 which kerry won with 50.4% of the vote. DC also had a primary.

Thanks Sagamore, the devil is always in the details isn't it Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
Sagamore wrote:
Fishin' is attempting to muddy the waters of discussion with a trick question. His intent, no doubt, was to point out that no democrats voted in the primaries of the states listed. Fishin' knows that he has listed the caucus states, who do not have a primary election per se. They opt to selct their delegates through the caucus process and not through direct election as one would do in a primary state. Nice try but as transparent as glass. I don't even see your point, though.

The point is that most of the states that dropped Republican primaries held caucuses instead and since Democrats have traditionally had more caucus states than Republicans have, their bitching about it now and crying about how it's an attempt to hide dissent is a typical pot calling the kettle black.

Since that is exactly what the author of the original piece and Redheat are doing it's directly on point in the dicsussion and since at least 3 of the 5 states that moved to the caucus system the decision to make the change was made by legislatures controlled by Democrats so they can hardly cry that it's a Republican ploy to hide dissent.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:42 am
fishin' wrote:
Sagamore wrote:

The point is that most of the states that dropped Republican primaries held caucuses instead and since Democrats have traditionally had more caucus states than Republicans have, their bitching about it now and crying about how it's an attempt to hide dissent is a typical pot calling the kettle black.

Since that is exactly what the author of the original piece and Redheat are doing it's directly on point in the dicsussion and since at least 3 of the 5 states that moved to the caucus system the decision to make the change was made by legislatures controlled by Democrats so they can hardly cry that it's a Republican ploy to hide dissent.

So what you're saying is even though the article lists the states that HAVE PRIMARIES and not caucus's that it's your contention is that they did? Laughing

Why don't you enlighten us all and list the states that have switched in the last 2 years. That way we can finally put the matter to rest. Then maybe you could list which states that HAD primaries as addressed in the article switched in 2004 to a caucus state.

Otherwise your point is irrelevant.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:48 am
Redheat wrote:

All hail Redheat! The final arbitter of what is and isn't relevant! lmao

I'll address your other comments later. I have a meeting to get to.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:53 am
fishin' wrote:
Redheat wrote:

All hail Redheat! The final arbitter of what is and isn't relevant! lmao

I'll address your other comments later. I have a meeting to get to.

Quote:
oth·er·wise [ úər wz ]

adverb

1. or else: if things had been different
"I overslept," said Joe, "otherwise you would have heard from me earlier."

2. differently: different from or opposite to something stated

It seems you were unfamiliar with the word "otherwise" so I thought I'd help you.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:59 am
Ya know, redheat, mischaracterizations such as those expressed by you indicate to me precisely what it is about The Democratic Party which over the past decade has brought about, for the first time in nearly a century, Republican control of The Executive Office, both Houses of Congress, and the majority of State Governorships and legislatures. Keep up the good work. Its much appreciated, I assure you.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:20 am
timberlandko wrote:
Ya know, redheat, mischaracterizations such as those expressed by you indicate to me precisely what it is about The Democratic Party which over the past decade has brought about, for the first time in nearly a century, Republican control of The Executive Office, both Houses of Congress, and the majority of State Governorships and legislatures. Keep up the good work. Its much appreciated, I assure you.

Timber you seem to love that word "mischaracterizations" however you never actually provide anything that would allow someone to make the same conclusion.

Laughing Oh that's what brought over control? So when the Democrats controlled congress that means the Republicans were "mischaracterizng"? or was it "different"? If they fail to hold onto the Congress and the WH that would mean what?

See here I always thought control went back and forth between parties since our nation began. I never knew it was all due to "mischaracteriaztion" Shocked

Anyway do you have something to comment concerning that actual article and points being laid out?

Do you think it's right that Repbulicans didn't have access to a primary? Do you think it is wise to prevent voting in a Democracy?
0 Replies

Karzak

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
Well, to throw a little common sense into this, the dems had several candidates in the primaries, a republican primary would have resulted in Bush, the republican incumbant, being chosen without any doubt.
SO what reason was there to have a primary?

None, of course, it would have just been a waste of resources.

But as we all know, the rabid, sensless ABB crowd will blame anything and everything on Bush, logic be damned.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:19 am
Redheat wrote:

Timber you seem to love that word "mischaracterizations" however you never actually provide anything that would allow someone to make the same conclusion.

I point in particular to your unsubstantiable interpolations of the statements of others. For example and evidence, reread your own posts.

rambling on, you wrote:
Laughing Oh that's what brought over control? So when the Democrats controlled congress that means the Republicans were "mischaracterizng"? or was it "different"? If they fail to hold onto the Congress and the WH that would mean what?

See here I always thought control went back and forth between parties since our nation began. I never knew it was all due to "mischaracteriaztion" Shocked

In fact, you need look no further than that twisty bit of nonsequitur.

then you wrote:
Anyway do you have something to comment concerning that actual article and points being laid out?

Do you think it's right that Repbulicans didn't have access to a primary? Do you think it is wise to prevent voting in a Democracy?

Pay attention. See:
Quote:
... Given that it is not unusual for a state party, as an economic consideration, to not hold a primary when that party's candidate is an incumbent without inter-party challenge ... why undertake the expense to present a contest in which the outcome is a foregone conclusion ... it is clear the reason for cancelled Republican primaries is simply lack of reason to hold a primary.

I recommend you spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with Logical Fallacies. They can be employed much more effectively than so far has been evidenced by your interactions.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
Quote:
I point in particular to your unsubstantiable interpolations of the statements of others. For example and evidence, reread your own posts

Sure you do and where is your evidence?

Quote:
In fact, you need look no further than that twisty bit of nonsequitur.

Confused yeah whatever

Quote:
Pay attention. See:
Quote:
... Given that it is not unusual for a state party, as an economic consideration, to not hold a primary when that party's candidate is an incumbent without inter-party challenge ... why undertake the expense to present a contest in which the outcome is a foregone conclusion ... it is clear the reason for cancelled Republican primaries is simply lack of reason to hold a primary.

I recommend you spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with Logical Fallacies. They can be employed much more effectively than so far has been evidenced by your interactions.
[/QUOTE]

Of course it was a Republican saying this. Can you show me any other state that did this under a Democratic Incumbent? Plus once again you regale yourself in your contrived prowess at vocabulary but still offer nothing of substance or little support for your claims be they wrapped in a big word or not.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 12:46 pm
Redheat wrote:

Of course it was a Republican saying this. Can you show me any other state that did this under a Democratic Incumbent? Plus once again you regale yourself in your contrived prowess at vocabulary but still offer nothing of substance or little support for your claims be they wrapped in a big word or not.

In '68 Humphrey received the Democratic nomination while having won a grand total of no primaries. Unopposed, other than by fringer Lyndon LaRouche, in '96, Clinton essentially did not participate in the primary process, never formally declaring himself a candidate. In 1980, 34 states held Democratic primaries, while in '84, there were 30 such contests, in '88 there were 37, '92 saw an all-time high of 40, and in '96 there were 35 Democratic primaries.

Were those words conveniently small for you?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
Quote:
Were those words conveniently small for you?

You do understand that it wasn't the ability of my being able to comprehend your vocabulary but the way you hid behind it that I was commenting on?

Actually I guess you didn't did you? Confused

As for the rest I'm researching. However are you claiming in those years the Primaries were cancelled? I did a search on that and found nothing. Still looking though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
I made no reference to your vocabularial accomplishment, redheat, I merely inquired after your convenience; again you presume to project.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:46 pm
Quote:
"After Chicago, and Humphrey's subsequent defeat in the general election, the impetus for change was, if anything, stronger and broader based" (Bartles, 1988, pg. 20). After 1968, Democrats formed a commission to recommend reforms in how they chose their nominee. It was unofficially called the McGovern-Fraser Committee. Among the Committee proposals eventually adopted were that all states adopt primary/caucus rules (some had none), make times and dates available to the public, choose delegates during the convention year, ending the winner-take all primary, and ending various forms of discrimination (DiClerico and Uslaner, 1984, pg. 9-16). Some of these reforms were also adopted by the Republican party because "many Democratically controlled legislatures...instituted presidential primaries for their states that were in many cases to be conducted for both parties" (Haskell, 1996, pg. 28). There was a sharp increase in the number of state presidential primaries in the aftermath of 1968, but a national primary was not one of the reforms adopted, not surprisingly because "most members of the McGovern-Fraser Commission...favored a reformed convention rather than establishment of regional or national primaries" (Davis, 1980, pg. 244). Perhaps the best chance to adopt a national primary, since its inception, was lost.

Source

Quote:
After the Iowa and New Hampshire contests, the schedule changes every presidential election as other states jockey to increase their influence over the candidate selection process by holding their caucuses or primaries at different times. As a result, the overall presidential primary schedule is not usually known for certain until just a few months before the primary elections begin.

Past Presidential Primary Election Schedules

Source

Quote:
DEMOCRATIC PARTY 1996 Primary

TOTAL NUMBER OF VOTES CAST: 10,963,044

Source

1996 there were just as many Republican primaries.

Fact is timberlake from what I've been able to gather either states had a Primary or a caucus, I found NO evidence of a state having neither as has been done for Bush.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
For the '04 cycle, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, Utah and Washington all cited cost concerns and/or questions as to the relevance of the excersize in light of Kerry's unassailable frontrunner status as reasons for cancelling or considering the cancelling of their scheduled primaries. North Carolina cancelled her scheduled February primaries due to failure of redistricting, replacing them with caucauses, as, citing declining primary election turnout, did New Mexico.

An academic article you may find of interest:
Quote:
Some states to drop primaries
By Andrew Buttaro

Facing record deficits, several states have decided to cancel their presidential primaries for 2004. The states claim that they cannot afford the elections in a time of fiscal austerity, saying that increasingly late primaries are becoming irrelevant.

Many political observers have said this nascent trend is unsurprising, as the primary system is in disarray and dire need of reform. Opponents of the current system argue that the primaries are front-loaded, meaning that the leading candidate is chosen by campaign donors after the first few primaries, and the rest are ineffectual formalities ...

As an aid to your research, I offer a website I've found valuable both for its own content and for links provided to external content, the ICPSR American National Election Study.

I further submit the notion the GOP, or The Democrats, would choose to abjure participation in a primary contest as a means to stifle inter-party dissent is patently absurd. Your mileage may vary, and I'm sure it does. I contend cost/benefit is the sole deciding consideration in any choice of whether or not to hold a primary election.
0 Replies