Joe Wilson: His Response

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 09:19 pm
I haven't seen this posted here yet. It's a pretty interesting read. But long... Sorry if it's a repeat.It is essential that the errors and distortions in the additional comments be corrected for the public record. Nothing could be more important for the American people than to have an accurate picture of the events that led to the decision to bring the United States into war in Iraq. The Senate Intelligence Committee has an obligation to present to the American people the factual basis of that process. I hope that this letter is helpful in that effort. I look forward to your further "additional comments."

Sincerely,

Joseph C. Wilson, IV
Washington, D.C

Does this clear anything up, do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 881 • Replies: 19
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:07 am
Does that clear anything up? Other than that Wilson is desperately trying to spin a smokesscreen so he can back himself out of his own trap, not really. Here's something that blows away a buncha Wilson's smoke:

Quote:
The Wilson-Plame Affair (Cont'd)

By Michael Getler
Sunday, July 18, 2004; Page B06

There was no ambiguity in the conclusion of the massive report released by the Senate's bipartisan Select Committee on Intelligence on July 9. "Most of the major key judgments" made by the intelligence community about Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction were "either overstated, or were not supported by, the underlying intelligence reporting. A series of failures, particularly in analytic trade craft, led to the mischaracterization of the intelligence."

The Post has done a good job sifting through and reporting on this exhaustively detailed study. But only one of perhaps a score of stories has attracted criticism from readers. That story, by staff writer Susan Schmidt, appeared on Page A9 July 10. It reported on what the committee had to say about a CIA-sponsored trip to Africa by former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV in February 2002 to investigate reports that Iraq was seeking to buy uranium in Africa, and about the role of Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, who was an undercover employee of the CIA at the time, in the decision to send him.

There is no room here to go into all the details, but Wilson's trip, and his subsequent public criticism of the Bush administration, became a much longer-running and high-profile story than his original secret assignment. In addition, a federal grand jury has been conducting a criminal investigation for several months now into who identified Plame by name to columnist Robert D. Novak a year ago.

The Post has been in the middle of all this. It carried the first stories about Wilson's trip, has probably covered this issue most thoroughly and is probably the most highly visible outlet for Novak's column, although it appears in 200 papers. So the paper, properly and alertly, included this portion of the Senate report in its first-day coverage.

Almost all the readers who had complaints relied for their objections on some critical comments by Joshua Micah Marshall, an online commentator who writes the "Talking Points Memo" Web site. Another critic, of both the story and the reporter, is Wilson, who sent me a copy of a letter to The Post that appeared in Saturday's paper.

There was one mistake in the Schmidt story, which was not central to the main points and which The Post corrected on Tuesday (more on that later). If I were the editor of this story, there are one or two places where it might have been better to use the exact words from the Senate report, or to have another sentence of background. And there was one paragraph of speculation about the possible impact of the report on the administration's case in the investigation that, in my view and the view of critics, should have been left out.

But in general, I didn't find the criticism of this story persuasive. The story, in my view, reflects the points, interviews and conclusions laid out in the Senate study.

Wilson, in his letter, refers to "the Republican-written" report. It is a bipartisan report. Wilson says "the decision to send me to Niger was not made, and could not be made, by Valerie." Neither the report, nor the story, says she made "the decision." The story says Wilson was "specifically recommended for the mission by his wife." The report says "interviews and documents provided to the Committee indicate that his wife . . . suggested his name for the trip." A reports officer in her division told the committee she "offered up his name." There are other references as well to Plame's role.

Wilson takes issue with Schmidt's reporting that his report on the trip to Niger "bolstered the case" about purported uranium sales to Iraq. But the study concludes that Wilson's March 2002 report, which noted that the former prime minister of Niger said that in 1999 he was approached by a businessman insisting he meet with an Iraqi delegation (which he did not do), "lent more credibility to the original CIA reports on the uranium deal."

Marshall takes issue with The Post's reporting that "contrary to Wilson's assertions . . . the CIA did not tell the White House it had qualms about the reliability of the African intelligence that made its way into the 16 fateful words in President Bush's January 2003 State of the Union address." Actually, the CIA fought hard, and successfully, to keep the material about Africa, aspects of which were a matter of dispute, out of a major speech Bush gave in October 2002. But the Senate study points out that in January 2003, the CIA, which still believed Iraq was probably seeking uranium from Africa, did not tell the White House to take out those 16 words from the State of the Union address and that then-CIA Director George Tenet had not even read the speech beforehand.

The error in the story occurred when Schmidt mistakenly wrote that Wilson had reported that Iraq had tried to buy 400 tons of uranium from Niger in 1998. The Senate report had said it was Iran. The Post correction, however, did not make it clear that the Senate report said it was Iran, which meant there were several different ways one could read the correction.

"The Post's corrections are maddening," wrote one reader. "Sometimes the most trivial errors are corrected but significant errors are ignored. Sometimes blame is fixed, especially if the Post was not at fault, but most often it is not. Sometimes the corrected information is cryptic almost to the point of secrecy in not providing more details." Now, there is something we can all agree on.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

What next ... Wilson himself revealed to be behind the Plame leak? Bizarre conjecture, but no less bizarre than a former National Security Advisor purloining classified documents.

Wilson lied. Not Bush, not Powell, not Blair, not Rice. Wilson is still lying.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:31 am
Laughing
Quote:
Wilson lied. Not Bush, not Powell, not Blair, not Rice. Wilson is still lying.

Laughing

You are kidding?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
Turning Tale
by Martin Peretz

Only at TNR Online
Post date: 07.21.04
he tale spun by former Ambassador Joseph Wilson that Iraq did not ever try to buy uranium yellowcake from Niger is now in the process of unraveling. And, of course, the phalanx of anti-war journalists is desperately trying to stop the bust-up. But it can't be done.

The flying apart began with two stories in the Financial Times (London), one on June 28, the other on July 4. Relying on information ultimately sourced to three European intelligence services--none of them British and one of them that had monitored clandestine uranium smuggling to Iraq over three years--Mark Huband reported that the network also serviced or was to service Libya, Iran, China, and North Korea. A tell-tale element of the story is that the mines in Niger from which several thousand tons of uranium had been extracted and sold were owned by French companies. Apparently, after a time, they had abandoned the mines as economically unviable. But, as a counter-proliferation expert told Huband, this does not mean that extraction stopped.

In any case, Lord Butler's altogether independent panel in the United Kingdom concluded that Tony Blair's claim about Hussein being in the market for uranium was "well-founded." These are the same claims made by George W. Moreover, the U.S. Senate report undercuts Wilson's very believability.

I myself had wondered why the CIA had been so dumb--such dumbness is something to which we should have long ago become accustomed!--as to send a low-level diplomat to check on yellowcake sales from Niger to Iraq when it should have dispatched a real spook. Well, it turns out that a "real spook" had recommended him to her boss, that spook being Valerie Plame, who happens also to be Wilson's wife. He has long denied that she had anything to do with his going to Niger and that, alas, was a lie. It appears, in fact, that this is the sole reason he was sent. Still, in a lot of dining rooms where I am a guest here, there is outrage that someone in the vice president's office "outed" Ms. Plame, as though everybody in Georgetown hadn't already known she was under cover, so to speak. Under cover, but not really. One guest even asserted that someone in the vice president's office is surely guilty of treason, no less--an offense this person certainly wouldn't have attributed to the Rosenbergs or Alger Hiss, Daniel Ellsberg or Philip Agee. But for the person who confirmed for Robert Novak what he already knew, nothing but high crimes would do.
http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=express&s=peretz072104
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
Kidding, Redheat? Not at all. Simply looking at the facts as reported, not the spin. Other folks entertain themselves differently.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:02 am
timberlandko wrote:
Kidding, Redheat? Not at all. Simply looking at the facts as reported, not the spin. Other folks entertain themselves differently.

Sorry but if you're claiming that then you aren't dealing in facts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:27 am
Maybe I'm looking at different facts, Redheat; I'm going by the assessments of "The 16 Words" presented in the two major governmental inquiries extant, the Congressional 9/11 Inquiry Commission Report and Britain's Butler Report, as well as independent findings as published by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Financial Times, and numerous others. Wilson's version has been shot full of holes; the man, along with his assertions, has been thoroughly discredited in the eyes of all but the most ardent spinmasters, and I really expect things will get no better for him. At this point, the best he can hope for is to rapidly fade to footnote status and to avoid further notoriety by means of escaping prosecution.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:30 am
I believe, timber, that those who want to find conclusions badly enough invariably will find them. After all, it's the same logic that led us to war in Iraq in the first place.

Thus, your stance on this issue completely fails to surprise me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:46 am
Seems to me Timber is reciting facts rather than ideology.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
Believe as your faith may find agreeable, Cycloptichorn. On what currently is the preponderance of evidence as represented by verifiable documentation, sworn testimony, corroborative finding and congruent anecdote, I believe your belief to be in error. Perhaps its a personal flaw, but I've always felt fact trumps faith, and that partisan editorial opinion pieces, regardless of sympathy or point-of-view, are not news. I view that as pragmatism, not partisanship. Your mileage may vary.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:03 pm
"Still, in a lot of dining rooms where I am a guest here, there is outrage that someone in the vice president's office "outed" Ms. Plame, as though everybody in Georgetown hadn't already known she was under cover, so to speak. Under cover, but not really. One guest even asserted that someone in the vice president's office is surely guilty of treason, no less--an offense this person certainly wouldn't have attributed to the Rosenbergs or Alger Hiss, Daniel Ellsberg or Philip Agee. But for the person who confirmed for Robert Novak what he already knew, nothing but high crimes would do."

Really, foxfyre, you don't find that completely over the top?
Whatever Joe Wilson has said and done, there was still NO JUSTIFICATION for outing his wife! Everyone in Georgetown already knew, hmm? Now everyone in the world knows! That's NOT okay.

Maybe in the rabid righty world, one crime erases another, but not here on earth. If the allegations against Wilson are true, that doesn't diminish what was done by the other side. Hello... ????
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:10 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Maybe I'm looking at different facts, Redheat; I'm going by the assessments of "The 16 Words" presented in the two major governmental inquiries extant, the Congressional 9/11 Inquiry Commission Report and Britain's Butler Report, as well as independent findings as published by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Financial Times, and numerous others. Wilson's version has been shot full of holes; the man, along with his assertions, has been thoroughly discredited in the eyes of all but the most ardent spinmasters, and I really expect things will get no better for him. At this point, the best he can hope for is to rapidly fade to footnote status and to avoid further notoriety by means of escaping prosecution.

None of those support the allegations and "truths" told by Powell ( who plagerzied and recited by intelligence at the UN otherwise lied) Rice ( mushroom cloud ring a bell?) Bush ( so many lies it's easier to ask when he told the truth)

Nuclear Weapons- Bush and Co KNEW before they came out with the SOTU that the intel was bad and based on forged materials They still went ahead with the premise that it was true.

Inspectors- Bush said they weren't allowed in, lie. That they weren't allowed access- lie

WMD- Everything points to bad intelligence however facts are people were telling the Bush administration (Clarke ring a bell) that the intelligence was wrong. They ignored the warnings and stated they KNEW where they were and what was there.

So far NO report has backed up a SINGLE assertion by the Bush administration on any reasons they gave for war, that's a FACT.

Besides that they use OLD allegations like the gassing of his own people. Did he do it. Yes over 10 years ago and with the silence of his very own father.

Most of the intel used for War was from Chabali ( a criminal) which you don't hear anything about. All the intel he gave were lies. The rest comes from OLD information from the 80's that is irrelevant. Even Bush Sr. manufactured evidence for the Iraq war.

So don't tell me you are stating facts timber, you are stating the same tired old lies that have long been proven lies. When you want to give me specific FACTS, and support them with something other then your imagination I will glad to read them.

However DON'T tell me they didn't lie when I know damn well they did!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:11 pm
Well Suzy, if she had more of a role in this fiasco than had been previously admitted, and apparently she did, and if she participated in the coverup of lies that had far reaching implications for the nation's security, then yeah, she should be outed, which as the author says, she essentially already was.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:21 pm
Timber,

The point of my post is that you WANT to believe that the admin is blameless in this issue, and therefore, have found 'facts' to SUPPORT that belief. I put facts in quotes because I have yet to see any evidence that would support the admin's innocence on this one - after all, the 'facts' put forth in in the first post of this thread were summarily dismissed by you without consideration, whereas yours are apparently fundemental truths.

I think it is mighty convienent that certain 'facts' are overlooked all the time, and others are used to create a damning case against one's opponents. I think both sides of the debate are equally guilty of this.

Therefore,

Perhaps someone can break down the argument against the Plames in a simple fashion for me, in order to outline the case against them, with specific attention paid to chronology?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:37 pm
Redheat, I just can't reach the same conclusions you leap to. I know you find it irritating and impossible to accept, but the actual legal evidence does not support the contentions you so cherish. Given the litigious nature of The Democratic Party, that none of their strident allegations of wrongdoing on the part of The Republican Party and The Current Administration have been accorded any juridical credence since the failed attempt to use the courts to invalidate the 2000 election is telling in and of itself, as is the demonstrated electoral performance of The Democratic Party over the past decade. And so is the standard Democratic complaint of a "Vast Rightwing Conspiracy"; such a notion would require half The Electorate be "in on the conspiracy". Pardon me, Democrats, but your absurdity is showing.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:50 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Redheat, I just can't reach the same conclusions you leap to. I know you find it irritating and impossible to accept, but the actual legal evidence does not support the contentions you so cherish. Given the litigious nature of The Democratic Party, that none of their strident allegations of wrongdoing on the part of The Republican Party and The Current Administration have been accorded any juridical credence since the failed attempt to use the courts to invalidate the 2000 election is telling in and of itself, as is the demonstrated electoral performance of The Democratic Party over the past decade. And so is the standard Democratic complaint of a "Vast Rightwing Conspiracy"; such a notion would require half The Electorate be "in on the conspiracy". Pardon me, Democrats, but your absurdity is showing.

Timber can we get past the rhetoric.

If you have some FACT to post, post it! Then support it! that simple the rest is just filler which suggests that you can't back up what your saying.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 03:14 pm
Fact: Wilson has been discredited.
Fact: No charge levelled against The Current Administration has been successfully litigated.
Fact: Some folks aren't happy with either of those facts.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:03 pm
"And so is the standard Democratic complaint of a "Vast Rightwing Conspiracy"; such a notion would require half The Electorate be "in on the conspiracy"

NO, it wouldn't. Just the evil cabal now in power, both within and outside the administration.

"Given the litigious nature of The Democratic Party"

What litigious nature? oh, you mean like when we got Kenneth Starr to waste millions jumping all over Clinton?
Or was it that pesky Watergate investigation?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 05:14 pm
Am I missing something here? What does evil cabal, litigious nature of the Democratic party, Ken Starr jumping all over Clinton, and Watergate have to do with Mr. and Mrs. Wilson?
0 Replies

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:48 pm
see post 803465 for the answer to that query.
0 Replies