Does anyone deal with Facts?

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:30 pm
I am curious.
I read a lot of conjecture and opinions from those who hate Bush; those who believe that Israel is criminal; and those that believe the War in Iraq is just plain wrong (because.... see first two points Smile )

But those of you who hold these opinions never seem to have any facts to back up your emotional hubris.

I enjoy reading forums like this because I sometimes learn new things. I especially enjoy learning new things that disagree with what I believe.

(a few examples are that I didn't know that there were respected Muslim scholars that support the overthrow of Saddam and support the right of Israel to exist - both from a theological Islamic viewpoint. I also didn't know that Einstein was strongly opposed to the establishment of the State of Israel.)

So, does anyone have any facts regarding Bush being totally wrong (he lied!) about the War in Iraq?
Or does anyone have any facts about how the Fence and Israeli policy in general is "destroying" the Palestinian "way of life."

If you post yours, I'll post mine.
Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,631 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:37 pm
Yes, some people here back up their claims with far more intellectual rigour than you do.

But this is nothing more than a cheap debate trap, trying to settle subjective scores (e.g. whether the Iraq invasion was right or wrong is contingient on subjective matters and not just objective fact) through a call for "facts".
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:41 pm
"But this is nothing more than a cheap debate trap"

yep.

which is why is will probably get no response.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:45 pm
Re: Does anyone deal with Facts?
Moishe3rd wrote:

I enjoy reading forums like this because I sometimes learn new things. I especially enjoy learning new things that disagree with what I believe.

same here.

i think one problem with "facts" on this forum, and elsewhere, is the constant arguement of who's "facts" are actually factual.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:48 pm
Re: Does anyone deal with Facts?
Moishe3rd wrote:
But those of you who hold these opinions never seem to have any facts to back up your emotional hubris.

Whaaaaa?

Here's a tip... read just about ANY of the posts that refer to a problem with Bush, and you'll find pleny of facts. Enjoy...
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:57 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing
The night is young...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:02 pm
Moishe3rd,

I bring a morsel, verily a fact, to the table:

I think invading Iraq should have taken international norms for sovereignty and sispute resolution info greater consideration.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:52 pm
Point A: Politics may be an art or a science or a calling or whatever - what it is not is a repository or a forum that has anything to do with facts. It is too highly subjective and idiosyncratic to deal with fixed values.

Point B: If President Bush had been divulging 'correct' information about the state of Iraq's military capacity and intentions, these would have been bourne out by events on the ground. Over a year later, no WMDs, no capacity to arm and launch weapons in less than an hour, no evidence of a capacity to produce nuclear or chemical weapons.

Point C: I'd say (conjecture only) that the level of disruption to the lives of the Palestinian peoples is self-evident. Arguing whether this 'fence' (declared totally illegal by the UN) will 'harm' them even more is to ignore the root causes of the disruption and the reasons it was built.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 09:37 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Point A: Politics may be an art or a science or a calling or whatever - what it is not is a repository or a forum that has anything to do with facts. It is too highly subjective and idiosyncratic to deal with fixed values.

Point B: If President Bush had been divulging 'correct' information about the state of Iraq's military capacity and intentions, these would have been bourne out by events on the ground. Over a year later, no WMDs, no capacity to arm and launch weapons in less than an hour, no evidence of a capacity to produce nuclear or chemical weapons.

Point C: I'd say (conjecture only) that the level of disruption to the lives of the Palestinian peoples is self-evident. Arguing whether this 'fence' (declared totally illegal by the UN) will 'harm' them even more is to ignore the root causes of the disruption and the reasons it was built.

I like it. Smile

I'll have to google around on the WMD issue. Their have definitely been some WMD found, but too "little" thus far to make the case.

My opinion is that President Bush sincerely believed, as did most of the world, based on quotes by various foreign leaders, as well as most Democrats, that Saddam had WMD.
And that he was willing to use them.
The information may have been wrong, but everybody believed it.
Therefore, it seems to be a false accusation to accuse the President of lying and deliberately using WMD to attack Iraq (for what other purpose?).

As for the fence, the facts and figures I get are that it is not "disrupting Palestinian lives" unjustly. Unjustly would mean without fair recompense for however their lives have been altered.
The analogy used would be the "right of eminent domain" exercised by a governmental authority. They are allowed to do it, but they must compensate you for your property and inconvenience.

One story from Some Arab Israelis find fence beneficialSupreme Court orders move of West Bank wall
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 01:31 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
My opinion is that President Bush sincerely believed, as did most of the world, based on quotes by various foreign leaders, as well as most Democrats, that Saddam had WMD.

Good evening Moishe3rd.

You have just stated a blatant factual falsehood in a thread where you make a challenge for factual basis.

You can't support the assertion in the last sentence I quoted. Do you deal with facts Moishe3rd? Apparently not, unless by "facts" you meant demonstratable falsehood.

Love and hugs, :wink:

Craven

PS

Quote:
As for the fence, the facts and figures I get are that it is not "disrupting Palestinian lives" unjustly. Unjustly would mean without fair recompense for however their lives have been altered.

"Just" and "unjust" are subjective terms that you arbitrarily define herein and misconstrue as being a matter of facts.

I posit that you confuse the degree of personal conviction you have with "facts".
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:58 am
Facts? You don't present evidence to back up your assertions but you
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:00 am
Quote:
All Things Considered: September 18, 2002

Iraq Intelligence

JOHN YDSTIE, host:

As President Bush weighs the possibility of military action against Iraq, he's getting competing intelligence reports that may be confusing the situation. That's the conclusion of an article in the September 23rd issue of The New Republic, written by UPI State Department correspondent Eli Lake. Mr. Lake joins us in our studios. Thanks for being with us.

Mr. ELI LAKE (UPI State Department Correspondent): Thank you for having me.

YDSTIE: You write that the CIA has actually been edged out of its primary role of synthesizing intelligence on Iraq for the president by another group controlled by the Pentagon and hawks within the administration. Explain what's happened here.

Mr. LAKE: Well, I would say that a circle of neoconservatives who are not just in the Pentagon but also in the vice president's office--some are in the State Department--have essentially done their own analysis of intelligence information and come to very different conclusions than the Central Intelligence Agency

For More

Quote:
Second, we have arrived at an important moment in confronting the threat posed to our nation and to peace by Saddam Hussein and his weapons of terror. In New York tomorrow, the United Nations Security Council will receive an update from the chief weapons inspector. The world needs him to answer a single question: Has the Iraqi regime fully and unconditionally disarmed, as required by Resolution 1441, or has it not?

Bush March 2003

Quote:
A Knight Ridder Newspapers report says the version of the National Intelligence Estimate that the White House released to the public in October 2002 differs markedly with the top-secret report it received. Portions of that report were declassified and released in July.

According to Knight Ridder, scrubbed from the intelligence report, "Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs," were such qualifying phrases as "we judge that," "we assess that" and "we lack specific information on many key aspects of Iraq's WMD programs....

Quote:
U) Conclusion 1. Most of the major key judgments in the Intelligence Community's October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate (NIE), Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons of Mass Destruction, either overstated, or were not supported by, the underlying intelligence reporting. A series of failures, particularly in analytic trade craft, led to the mischaracterization of the intelligence.

(U) The major key judgments in the NIE, particularly that Iraq "is reconstituting its nuclear program," "has chemical and biological weapons," was developing an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) "probably intended to deliver biological warfare agents," and that "all key aspects - research & development (R&D), production, and weaponization - of Iraq's offensive biological weapons (BW) program are active and that most elements are larger and more advanced than they were before the Gulf War," either overstated, or were not supported by, the underlying intelligence reporting provided to the Committee. The assessments regarding Iraq's continued development of prohibited ballistic missiles were reasonable and did accurately describe the underlying intelligence.

(U) The assessment that Iraq "is reconstituting its nuclear program" was not supported by the intelligence provided to the Committee. The intelligence reporting did show that Iraq was procuring dual use equipment that had potential nuclear applications, but all of the equipment had conventional military or industrial applications. In addition, none of the intelligence reporting indicated that the equipment was being procured for suspect nuclear facilities. Intelligence reporting also showed that former Iraqi nuclear scientists continued to work at former nuclear facilities and organizations, but the reporting did not show that this cadre of nuclear personnel had recently been regrouped or enhanced as stated in the NIE, nor did it suggest that they were engaged in work related to a nuclear weapons program.

Source
0 Replies

Sagamore

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 08:07 am
"Everyone believed it!" I don't think so. Certainly the arms inspectors didn't believe it. They were on the ground, inspecting hundreds of likely sites and found nothing. Hans Blix didn't believe it and he was in a better position to know than Bush.

UN inspectors were actively inspecting Iraq for most of the Clinton years. Scott Ritter, head of the team, doubted Hussein had WMD.

The everyone you are talking about believed it because they were all briefed by the Bushies and received bad information. Ordinarily, the president is given considerable leeway in foreign policy by both parties. Most presidents do not lie when it comes to national security. But, this one either lied or is incompetent (take your pick) because he sent troops to war based on phony info. He and he alone bears the responsibility for that.

Bush lied when he claimed saddam refused to allow inspectors into Iraq-they were there thru most of clintons terms and they were there during bush's runup to the war. It is obvious to me that Bush intended to invade Iraq regardless of the inspectors, regardless of the UN, regardless of the truth. If he was concerned about the WMD and was sure they existed, he could simply have let the inspectors continue their work. As long as they were inspecting, no one was dying. He claimed to be impatient and that impatience brought about a reckless and bloody war that did not have to happen.

I invite you to challenge these facts.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 08:30 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:

Good evening Moishe3rd.

You have just stated a blatant factual falsehood in a thread where you make a challenge for factual basis.

You can't support the assertion in the last sentence I quoted. Do you deal with facts Moishe3rd? Apparently not, unless by "facts" you meant demonstratable falsehood.

Love and hugs, :wink:

Craven

PS

Quote:

"Just" and "unjust" are subjective terms that you arbitrarily define herein and misconstrue as being a matter of facts.

I posit that you confuse the degree of personal conviction you have with "facts".

How about THIS in response:

(Excerpt from: The usual suspects were on the bandwagon all along By:Ross Mackenzie)[/u]

Consider, please, the following - drawn from a September piece on the editorial page of Investor's Business Daily - wherein many of the Usual Suspects are quoted regarding the existence of, and the need to remove, Saddam's WMDs...

- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998: "One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop WMDs and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."

- Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998: "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's WMD program."

- Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Feb. 18, 1998: "What happens in (Iraq) matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."

- Letter to Clinton signed by Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, etc., Oct. 9, 1998: "We urge you ... to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspected Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its WMD programs."

- Congressman (now House Minority Leader) Nancy Pelosi, Dec. 16, 1998: "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology, which is a threat to countries in the region, and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

- Sen. Bob Graham and other Democratic senators in a letter to President Bush, Dec. 5, 2001: "There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status."

- Sen. Levin, Sept. 19, 2002: "We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building WMDs and the means of delivering them."

- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002: "We know that (Saddam) has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."

- Sen. Ted Kennedy, Sept. 27, 2002: "We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing WMDs."

- Sen. Robert Byrd, Oct. 3, 2002: "We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons."

- Sen. Kerry, Oct. 9, 2002: "I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of WMDs in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."

- Sen. Hillary Clinton, Oct. 10, 2002: "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort and sanctuary to terrorists, including al-Qaida members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."

- Sen. Kerry, Jan. 23, 2003: "Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime. ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real."

Many of the usual suspects recently attacking President Bush and declaring smugly, "I insistently have dismissed the phony claims of Saddam's WMDs as a justification for war against him," have eagerly ridden the WMD bandwagon all along. Comes now Howard Dean, in his way trying to clamber aboard. In October he blasted the president on Iraq, telling The New York Times he opposed the American invasion last spring and promising that if president he (a) would cut the number of American troops in Iraq by half and (b) would send President Clinton to the Middle East to broker peace.

Dean added: (1) "Great countries ... get in trouble when they overstretch their military capabilities," and (2) "What this president is doing is setting the stage for the failure of America."

"Setting the stage for failure"? If so, the record shows that President Bush had considerable help and encouragement from Dean and his fellow suspects in ideological crime.

But NO...
No one except President Bush thought that Saddam had WMD's or was a threat to the US Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 08:47 am
Fedral wrote:
How about THIS in response:

Try "woefully inadequate" on for size.

Do you assert that you have named "everybody" in your list?

See, that would be the problem then.

Quote:
But NO...
No one except President Bush thought that Saddam had WMD's or was a threat to the US Rolling Eyes

Gee Fedral, stop talking to the straw man and address the group.

Let's get you caught up.

1) Moishe3rd made a call to argue using facts.

2) Moishe3rd then claimed "everyone" thought Saddam had WMDs.

3) You try to support this claim with a handful of people. Fedral, ahandful does not constitute "everybody".

4) You move the goalposts to score a rousing goal.... against yourself, adroitly knocking down a claim that not a single person on this thread had made.

Good going, but when you're ready try to address the what was actually said, as opposed to what you can make up to easily knock down, ok?

Feel free to try to substantiate Moishe3rd's claim for him.

Hint: "everybody", not a selection by Fedral.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
Their have definitely been some WMD found, but too "little" thus far to make the case.

This is not the first time I've seen someone on this forum claim that weapons of mass destruction have "definitely been found" in Iraq, yet I have never seen anyone actually attempt to substantiate this claim.

Since this thread is devoted to "facts," I think this is an appropriate place to ask Moishe -- or anyone else who might be so inclined -- to provide evidence for this particular "fact."
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:57 am
Quote:
Jan. 25, 2004 -- David Kay, who recently resigned as head of the U.S. group searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, now says he doesn't think stockpiles of such weapons existed. He no longer believes that Iraq had a large-scale production program in the 1990s.

Source
Quote:

"There is no reliable information on whether Iraq is producing and stockpiling chemical weapons, or whether Iraq has - or will - establish its chemical warfare agent production facilities," said the Defence Intelligence Agency report, which was obtained by CNN.

Mr Rumsfeld told Congress on September 19 that Iraq had "amassed large, clandestine stockpiles of chemical weapons, including VX, sarin and mustard gas."

The report, entitled Iraq: Key Weapons Facilities - An Operational Support Study, also said there was no firm evidence that Saddam had biological weapons.

It concluded: "Iraq is assessed to possess biological agent stockpiles that may be weaponised and ready for use. The size of those stockpiles is uncertain and is subject to debate. The nature and condition of those stockpiles also are unknown".

The report said that Iraq had chemicals and equipment to produce mustard agents, but did not have the capability to create nerve agents.

It is unclear how widely the DIA study was circulated and who in the Bush administration saw it.

The report was made public hours after US President George Bush vowed that US forces would find banned Iraqi weapons.

Source

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. intelligence agencies overstated the threat of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, relied on dubious sources and ignored contrary evidence in the run-up to the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, a Senate committee reported on Friday.

Source

Here's a fact.

NO WMD HAVE BEEN FOUND. Even if Bush wants to continue to blame the CIA why hasn't anyone been fired? Why does he keep praising our intelligence when it failed on 9.11 and Iraq? What has he done to fix it? Why does he say we are safer if the intelligence problems have not been fixed?

Finally why do the reasons for war keep changing? First it's about the UN resolution but he breaks his promise to go for a final vote.

Then its about our safety because Saddam is days away from sending over a bomb

Then its about nuclear capabilities even though right before he claims this evidence shows to be fradulent

Then it's about WMD

Then it's Liberation

Then it's the UN resolution

Then it's WMD PROGRAMS

Then it's Liberation

no UN

NO WMD

NO .......... and the spin goes on but in all that spin not one fact emeges except that Bush f***ed up! 900 Americans dead, thousands injured and over 10,000 innocent civilians dead, NO WMD, No more safe and terrorism is still a huge problem.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 10:26 am
Redheat wrote:
Finally why do the reasons for war keep changing?

Red is on the money with that one. Everytime I bring up the point she(?) addressed, I get nonsensical nonsequiter answers from those who support/love/believe Bush. Its almost comical (if it weren't so tragic).

My favorite is this transformation:

Weapons of Mass Destruction
becomes
Weapons of Mass Destruction related programs
becomes
Weapons of Mass Destruction related program activities
Laughing Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 03:48 am
The closest thing to a WMD found was a round containing chemicals lift over from the war with Iraq and that was probably supplied by the Brits or made with the co-operation of the Reagan regime.

All those examples you give aren't 'facts'. If Person X says that they think or feel that the barrier makes them 'safer' - that is an opinion and may have nothing to do with the reality of them actually being safer. Person Y may say that it doesn't make them safer - that opinion has the same validity and reality. If we come back to Persons X and Y in a year and ask them the same question and if we repeated this 100 or 1,000 times using a good sample of Israelis/Palestinians we would start to have a FACTUAL view of this.

<love that purple hippo, Craven!!>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:35 am
I did not believe there were WMD.

Therefore the contention that "everybody" did is invalid.

Next?
0 Replies