NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:14 pm
I already have it. I'm sure lots of people here do. This poll is moot
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 06:57 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The poll is nearly five years old.

"Shows to go ya" LW, how technology has advanced in the recent past!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:33 am
Gee, if most people do have it, I wonder why I still get many customers in who have old 4:3 rear projection CRT's and even old tube sets and want as much knowledge as they can get about investing in a hi-def display? This is the South Orange County Coast, where people do have money. So many of them want built-in speakers and I'm sure you're aware that not much is spent on installing the best speakers. In fact, they are portable rado speakers. I have a difficult time comprehending why someone wants hi-def video and mediocre sound to go with it. The 1080p "technology" (they had the capability in processing when 1080i was introduced but, of course, nothing to input 1080p) is more confusing for the consumer. So that poll could be changed to asking if one wants 1080p, a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player, and when will it be broadcast (probably when I'm pushing up daisies). There's also those who bought early plasma sets that were actually EDTV, 420p. The lifespan of those sets was 40,000 hours to half brightness but even after 6 years at eight hours a day, they are still firing up. Prices have dropped and are still dropping. The most popular plasma monitor, the Panasonic 9 series, is now the 10 series and $ 300. to $ 500. less than three months ago.

There's a lot of technological advances, like DLP (the millions of tiny mirrors) which are now using LED's and soon, Laser, for the light and color source instead of the color wheel and high density discharge lamp that's about 5,000 - 6,000 life.

I hate to tell most readers on this topic, but your TV is already obsolete.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:30 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

Quote:
I have a difficult time comprehending why someone wants hi-def video
and mediocre sound to go with it.

What do u think of the BOSE sound system
to attach to HDTV ?

Quote:
The 1080p "technology" (they had the capability in processing when 1080i was introduced but, of course, nothing to input 1080p) is more confusing for the consumer. So that poll could be changed to asking if one wants 1080p, a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player, and when will it be broadcast (probably when I'm pushing up daisies).

May we know your opinion
of whether 1080p, a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player
renders a better picture ?

Quote:
There's a lot of technological advances, like DLP (the millions of tiny mirrors)

Samsung gave me that; good picture,
with 1920 pixels.

Quote:
which are now using LED's and soon, Laser, for the light and color source instead of the color wheel and high density discharge lamp that's about 5,000 - 6,000 life.

I hate to tell most readers on this topic, but

your TV is already obsolete.

For those of us with obsolete TVs,
what will give us the best picture ?

What shud we look for ?
David
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:47 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

Quote:
I have a difficult time comprehending why someone wants hi-def video
and mediocre sound to go with it.

What do u think of the BOSE sound system
to attach to HDTV ?

I have a vintage Bose direct/reflecting speakers system I am still using for the from left and right channels, changing the polarity of the bottom cube (it's dual speaker cubes on stands) and aimed those inward instead of outward to provide a focused stereo image across the room -- you really don't need the direct/reflect feature with 9.1. As far as their new two speaker AV package delivering surround sound without rear speakers, the Yamaha YSP 800 and 1100 Sound Project delivers superior surround effect from one speakers system. You really need a small or medium size room for these to work effectively. Boston Acoustics or Cambridge Sound mini-speakers with sub-woofer and rear channel speakers are a better buys over full 6 speaker the Bose systems. My favorite speakers are B & W which I've used to complete my system for rear channels.

Quote:
The 1080p "technology" (they had the capability in processing when 1080i was introduced but, of course, nothing to input 1080p) is more confusing for the consumer. So that poll could be changed to asking if one wants 1080p, a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player, and when will it be broadcast (probably when I'm pushing up daisies).

May we know your opinion
of whether 1080p, a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player
renders a better picture ?

That's really debatable and depends on the size of the screen. On a display 37" and smaller, there's really little to almost imperceptible improvement unless you are sitting extremely close to the screen. On 40", but especially 50 through now 92" on plasmas or LCD's, there are about twice as many pixels so the picture appears smoother, depending on how far away one is from the display. An upscaled 1080i or DVD 420p picture will not have more detail. A Blu-Ray or HD DVD disc of a very recent movie will likely add little detail because it isn't there in the first place (film resolution isn't even close to hi-def except IMAX movies). Older movies, most of them not restruck in new, restored 70mm prints and rephotographed to digital with the latest technology will not look any better. The main advantage for paying the extra price is less identification of the pixels when one is sitting close than normal to a large display.

Quote:
There's a lot of technological advances, like DLP (the millions of tiny mirrors)

Samsung gave me that; good picture,
with 1920 pixels.

Is that 1920 x 1080? You have to quote the horizontal and verticle resolution and whether it's interlaced (i) or progressive (p). There's difficulty in a AB comparison of the quality of pictures, especially in a discount warehouse where they take the sets out of the box and just plug them in, washed out under an array of high density discharge lamps. If you've purchased one of the sets to be discontinued, it still has a lamp and color wheel that can easily fail long before the life of the set, often more than once. A new lamp assembly (their clever and do not allow one to change only the lamp) is $200.00 to $500.00 and more. If it's one of the newest sets, LED's have now replaced color wheels and conventional lamps, lasting somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 times longer! Next are DLP's using laser color/light sources. Samsung is the first on the market with LED DLP.

Quote:
which are now using LED's and soon, Laser, for the light and color source instead of the color wheel and high density discharge lamp that's about 5,000 - 6,000 life.

I hate to tell most readers on this topic, but

your TV is already obsolete.

For those of us with obsolete TVs,
what will give us the best picture ?

Panasonic Pro Monitors (no speakers unless one purchases their add-on speakers).

What shud we look for ?

If you're able to view them at a speciality audio/video store, it's the contrast ratio and the rich, deep blacks where plasma beats out LCD, DLP, 3 LED including Sony's new SXRD rear-projection technology. All the manufactuers are trying to improve the blacks and dark detail to come as close as possible to CRT. This, of course, doesn't tell you the other important question -- how long will the sets last? In other words, what kind of repair rate for each manufacturer. Panasonic and Hitachi have the best rating in that area as they still manufacturer the displays in the original Japanese factories. They haven't sent their tooling to some Pacific Rim country where they have less control of the QC. Vizio is particularly notorious for enough cold solder joints to make a NASA engineer faint.

Which brings me to the Canon supported technology of a flat screen CRT, or SED, and if they get the bugs out and gear up for mass production, the picture could blow them all out of the water. That still looks like two to three years off but who knows?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:17 am
What about LEP's (Light Emitting Polymers), where are they on the scale of things?

(also called PLED's)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:27 am
Electro-luminescence will likely be the other technology to hit the market in the next two years. Sony has a small 12" screen in the works as a computer monitor or small TV. This technology could mean a true flat screen (LCD's and Plasma are misnamed flat screens as they aren't really flat once one mounts them on the wall) that could be fixed to the wall like wallpaper.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:29 am
Ok. I think I'll wait for one of those Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:34 am
Don't hold you breath! Large screens are way down the road and one of the problems is brightness. I worked with this technology in the 80's on aircraft and automotive control displays. We were able to get more brightness by increasing the Hertz. There was only one color at the time, a blue/green.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:43 am
Gasp, Ok. Thanks I'll continue to breath normally while watching my existing set.

On a more realistic note...

In your opinion, what is the most cost effective technology to buy today?

Cost Effective being, best balance of low cost, high quality image, durability and longevity of screen and components.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
Panasonic plasma 10 series pro monitors. It's the 16 bit processing that makes the most difference but Panasonic's black matrix is one of the most effective. No receiver/tuner but you don't need that unless you're going to use an antenna and just pick up what HD there is over-the-air (from a large, high quality antenna unless you are close to the transmission). Panasonic includes 5 year Panasonic warranties for these sets. 1 year on their consumer sets. What does that tell you?

No speakers, unless you buy theirs, and, again, if one wants hi-def displays, why not comparable sound quality which you don't get with built-in speakers.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:05 pm
Thanks. Smile

Maybe I'll ugrade sometime soon. Also, my step-father is looking for something nice around 50" in size.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:14 pm
The 42" should be selling in the area of $ 1399.00 fully calibrated to ICC specifications and the 50" should be around $ 1799.00 but that's the 9 Series 1080i and you'd have to find stock as they are discontinued. The new 1080p 50" is in the area of $ 3,200.00.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The 42" should be selling in the area of $ 1399.00 fully calibrated to ICC specifications and the 50" should be around $ 1799.00 but that's the 9 Series 1080i and you'd have to find stock as they are discontinued. The new 1080p 50" is in the area of $ 3,200.00.

Some of the online shopping sites show the new 1080p 50" at around $2000 or less. But it doesn't matter, when I asked my step dad how much he was willing to spend on a big TV he said anything under $10,000 Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 02:26 pm
That's a consumer model or a come-on bait-and-switch. $ 2000.00 would be under manufacturer's wholesale (there isn't much mark-up on TV's)

Found one ad online for about $2700.00 through Amazon but, of course, that's without calibration which, depending on the area, is $ 200.00 to $ 300.00. If you don't have a display calibrated to ICC specs and expect the factory setting to give you the best picture, you would be spending a lot of money on something that isn't performing to its best capability.

Under $ 10,000.00 would get him the Panasonic pro monitor 65" 1080p.

Panasonic 1080p 50" Pro Monitor Review
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

Quote:
(there isn't much mark-up on TV's)

Y not ?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 05:14 pm
Just the nature of the retail marketing beast.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:06 pm
I thought thay LIKED to make profits.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:15 pm
There's profit if a 65" display is sold along the wall mounting and with a designed and engineered built-in-the-wall surround speakers system, a high quality AV receiver, theater seating, and a pop corn machine (among other things that would go in a home entertainment room. Circuit City is making no profits and closing hundreds of stores. They've fired their knowledgeable commissioned salesmen to hire wet-behind-the-ears by-the-hour help who won't know what they're talking about and just wing it. They were staying in business by making profit over the holidays but that's gone. Too much competition, especially from the specialized designers and installers.
0 Replies