High Definition TV

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2002 01:37 am
Lately, I have been doing a bit of drooling when I go into a store like Best Buys, and check out the HDTV. They are so

much more detailed than the regular sets.

According to the FCC, regular TV with be phased out by 2006, and you will

need either an HDTV, or an adapter for older sets, to watch the broadcasts. I would expect too, that as more and more HDTV

sets are marketed, there will be more improvements, coupled with lower prices.

Right now, I can't complain. I have a

perfectly nice 50 inch regular TV with an excellent picture. My husband has it connected to outside speakers, with a

subwoofer, so the sound is pretty decent.

What is your "take" on HDTV?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,206 • Replies: 83
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2002 03:57 pm
I like HDTV, and

wouldnt squabble about someone buying me one, however
I much more enjoy drooling in front of the plasma screens, heck, if

youre gonna drool...do it with style!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 06:29 am
Quinn1- In my area there is a store that sells only high end electronics. I

saw sets that cost over $30,000. Not only did I drool, but I nearly slipped on the puddle the drool made on the floor of the

store! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 12:06 pm
There's not a log

of HDTV programming yet but there is a cable channel that is going to be all HDTV, mostly documentaries. The plasma flat

sets are now up to 60" and I think that is the wave of the future. The one I saw was the Zenith and I haven't priced it but

I believe it is considerably less than 30 G's. This is being marketed as wide screen which does make a lot of sense.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 12:11 pm
Here's a link to

the Zenith 60" which is HDTV ready so eventually you'd have to buy an HDTV tuner (they are now down to under $200.00, I

believe). It's the first plasma over 50" and is around $11,000.00.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 12:24 pm
Lightwizard- This was the set that had me foaming

at the

mouth:

http://www.soundadvice-fl.com/sndadvice/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&CATID=4&Product_ID=432&count=17&amp

;Pcount=25&DETAIL=1
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2002 04:55 pm
puddles
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2002 12:17 pm
I forgot to post

the link and happen to come across the best price on the Zenith -- the specs are similar to the Runco and it's under

$10,000:

http://www.1888camcorder.com/zenp660plast.html
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:09 pm
Under 10K
Now theres a deal

maybe Ill just drool somemore
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:01 am
Will it make PROGRAMS better?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:05 am
jeanbean- One thing at a time Waddaya expect, miracles? Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:06 am
Laughing

Thats certainly something to be worked on

Perhaps better remote control handling is needed?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 09:21 am
I've been reading about this on and off lately and I was nernous about it because we have 4 fairly new 27" tv's in our home. I thought that come 2006 that these tv's would be obsolete and we'd have to go out and buy all new ones. Phoenix, you said that there is something that can be connected to your existing tv. Do you have any idea what the cost would be for me to get one of these connectors? If I don't have to replace all my tv's, I'll be one happy cookie :-D
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 09:24 am
I'm still waiting,..the prices are WAY outta control,..
$10,000 for a TV,...PHOOEY!!
And I spend all sorts of money on random crap,..ask anyone! Laughing

They'll soon even out, as the tech gets mass produced, and cheaper to make.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 09:27 am
Gezzy- I am not even sure if those gizmos are out yet. (Anybody know?). What I DO know, is that when everything is broadcast in HDTV in 2006, if you have an old set, that is not HDTV ready, the you will need the accessory in order to watch.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 09:32 am
Thanks for the info Phoenix. I just bought another new 27" last week and I would hate to have to get rid of all my beautiful tv's in another 3 years or so. All 4 of my tv's are less than 3 years old and I hope to have them for a very long time. I couldn't even imagine having to go out and buy 4 new ones, especially for the price they charge for those HDTV's. My head hurts just thinking about it, lol.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 12:00 pm
I still would like a plasma screen, no matter what, I can want cant I?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 12:21 pm
$10,000? Plasma TV's, depending on screen size (which depends on your room size and the placement of the set in the viewing area) are now available down to $3000.00 (albeit HDTV ready, but the tuners are now coming down to a few hundred dollars when the programming becomes more prevelant). It looks like HDTV is grapping hold -- some network programs are available, there's a new Discovery all HDTV cable channel and a lot of sports programming is now HDTV. I'm not going to replace my rear projection Mitsubishi set any time soon and I see plasma coming down to more earthbound prices in the next year or two. Certainly will help with room decor as I don't like having the huge cabinet in the room although it does house all my componets. If I go plasma, it would be on a credenza with the components hidden inside. I will have to stoop down to use them so I might consider a highboy with the TV inside of a compartment. It is tempting to see these sets in the showrooms and one does get the full resolution with a plasma set -- the rear projection in scattering the image for peripheral view looses about 20% of the total resolution. So they're around 900 lines while true HDTV is around 1200 (or a whopping three times the resolution of broadcast TV and over double a DVD resolution). Gives though to how soon DVD high definition will be as the data required for one movie would be two or three DVD's for one movie! A film like "The Fellowship of the Ring" may have to be on three DVD's for instance. They may bring back the old 12" format. The news FOTR extended version is one two DVD's, albeit it offers the wide screen and the pan-and-scan. My sister's wide screen, rear projection set I was able to test out with "Moulin Rouge." I'm not sure how many would be able to see the difference as it was pretty spectacular.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 12:24 pm
Okay, all I saw was 10K now costs 3K

running to the store..will get back to you later Smile

No really, Im interested but, shall return.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 04:40 pm
LW...oh..I see, yes..I have seen Plasma at 3K range..but, its just not big enough Smile
I agree that it will be more affordable..in the range of where HDTV is now in the next couple of years so, Im hoping this 12 yr old 27" is going to hold up till then, probably not htough, then Ill be in that predicament where I wont know what to do!
I have an absolute need for the highest resolution, only really care to watch movies in wide-screen but, thats due to my background and insane electronics love which, is at times a bit much for most people. Although, I am realistic so, I try to get the most for the least or mid range at least.
0 Replies