The Electoral College

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:45 pm
Anon wrote:
I am willing to sacrifice for the common good, that's why I never bitch about any of the taxes I pay.

Consider, old buddy, the 2.25% "Representation Surcharge" can be seen to be your part of the overall sacrifice made by all of us. I pay the same Federal taxes you do, but I am literally hours away from Federally Funded or Assisted Infrastructure such as Airports, Interstate Highways, or Passenger Rail Services. Less of the dollar I send to The Federal Government has any practical impact on my life than on the life of a more Urban Citizen. I consider the "Representation Imbalance" in light of trade-off. I get my part of the bargain, you get yours.
We all make sacrifices.

timber
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 11:27 pm
Timber:

You may pay the same tax rate, but you get 101% citizenship.

I will sacrifice my time!

I will sacrifice my money!

I will sacrifice my life if necessary!!!

But to ask me to surrender a part of my citizenship tells me you think for some reason you've done something more than I have to get that right !!!

I don't think so, and I don't accept that price, ever!!

Anon
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 07:27 pm
Anon wrote:
It is a sure fact that by everyone in this topic/interaction, I am a 98.05 citizen. You can't get by that!!

I can get by it easily, and do.

As a citizen of the US, you have the same right as every other citizen to move freely from state to state, and can reside in whichever state you choose. Whatever the relative statistical value of your vote may be in the state in which you choose to live, you are free to change that statistical value at will, with no impediment from the government to doing so.

In other words, you have the same right as any other voter in the country to ensure that your vote counts as much as you want it to. That the laws by which our nation is governed do not meet your personal definition of fair, does not make your claim that they are unfair a "fact". It makes it an opinion, specifically yours.

Lastly, I would challenge you to cite for me from the laws of our nation anything that states specifically and clearly that every vote cast must carry the same statistical weight.

Now, I can and do respect your right to dislike the system and to advocate for it being changed, but I don't agree that the current system makes you any less a citizen than anyone else who likewise has free will to determine where he or she lives and votes, and by extension, what that vote will be worth.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 08:00 pm
trespassers will wrote:
Anon wrote:
It is a sure fact that by everyone in this topic/interaction, I am a 98.05 citizen. You can't get by that!!

I can get by it easily, and do.

As a citizen of the US, you have the same right as every other citizen to move freely from state to state, and can reside in whichever state you choose. Whatever the relative statistical value of your vote may be in the state in which you choose to live, you are free to change that statistical value at will, with no impediment from the government to doing so.

In other words, you have the same right as any other voter in the country to ensure that your vote counts as much as you want it to. That the laws by which our nation is governed do not meet your personal definition of fair, does not make your claim that they are unfair a "fact". It makes it an opinion, specifically yours.

Lastly, I would challenge you to cite for me from the laws of our nation anything that states specifically and clearly that every vote cast must carry the same statistical weight.

Now, I can and do respect your right to dislike the system and to advocate for it being changed, but I don't agree that the current system makes you any less a citizen than anyone else who likewise has free will to determine where he or she lives and votes, and by extension, what that vote will be worth.

This post is something I would expect from my six year old grandaughter. I am restricted by the Members Agreement to answer this as it should be!!!! I therefore will hold my tongue, and my temper, and abstain!!

Anon
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 01:15 am
Anon wrote:
This post is something I would expect from my six year old grandaughter. I am restricted by the Members Agreement to answer this as it should be!!!! I therefore will hold my tongue, and my temper, and abstain!!
Anon

This is what we used to call "closing the door after the horse is already out of the barn."
If you think you can counter my point, please do. If you can't or don't feel like it or think it or I am not worth your time, then simply refrain from responding. Anything else is just childish personal insults, and those--I thought--are restricted by the agreement you so disingenuously mentioned above.
0 Replies