Iphone dropped in cup of water

Linkat

Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:17 pm
Not me -- hubby had a cup of water in his car cup holder. For some reason, he decided it was a good idea to drop his phone in the cup holder without looking and forgot he had a cup of water there.

We tried to do the rice thingy where we put the phone in a bag of rice overnight still not working. Did we use the right rice (we only had brown organic good rice - maybe we need the cheap minute rice?)

Anyone have any thoughts on this - he is not due for an upgrade in about a year.

jespah

Fri 18 Sep, 2015 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
Far as I'm aware, you just need rice to draw out the moisture and dry it out.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 18 Sep, 2015 03:46 pm
@Linkat,
Open the battery compartment and make sure it is dry. Use the rice on the rest of it, but don't seal the bag. You could use a hair dryer on low to speed the process. When you think it is dry, put it back together and try to charge the battery. You might want to try a different battery if you have another iphone in the house.
parados

Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:03 pm
@engineer,

Here is story on how to possibly deal with it.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-fix-rescue-water-damaged-apple-iphone-3448140/
roger

Fri 18 Sep, 2015 04:34 pm
@parados,
Good techniques on drying, but I sense it's a little late to not turn it on or plug in in before it's completely dry.
0 Replies

Linkat

Sat 19 Sep, 2015 02:34 pm
We are fortunate...I went to Verizon for help to fix my daughters phone and found out we had insurance on hubby's phone so we should be ok.
Ragman

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 09:29 pm
@Linkat,
It may still cost you $100 or so to replace.
Linkat

Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:48 am
@Ragman,
Yeah it was 100 and some change. Better than a new phone though.
0 Replies