Al Sharpton To Announce He's in the Race

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 04:56 pm
The NY Times reports that Al Sharpton is ready to throw his hat in the ring for the Democratic nomination. Sounds like he's already got something against the other candidates. Some think of him as a demagogue, but he does hold some interesting views: against the death penalty and war and Iraq, for affirmative action.

Anyone care to wade in with an opinion on Mr. Sharpton and his candidacy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 08:58 pm
D'art, I'd vote for Sharpton before I'd vote for Lieberman. c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:21 pm
I'd guess he's probably the least likely of those who've announced they are running to win the party nod. There is no realistic chance of him becoming President and the party isn't likely to throw him out there to run.

As I said in another thread the other day, I think he's there to cause a bit of a stir, win a handful of primary delegates and force a few hands to the Democratic Convention. He could use whatever delegates he picks up as bargining position for an item on the party platform or, if he holds enough and there is a tight race overall, force some major concessions as a trade for his endorsement.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:23 pm
Like Gephardt (IMO), Reverend Al will be kingmaker but not king.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:44 pm
That may be true, but if GW could win, I won't be too surprised if Sharpton wins. c.i.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:49 pm
Well, if nothing else, he should make things interesting. He's bound and determined to succeed Jesse Jackson as the nation's leading African American leader, so this candidacy is a logical step.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 11:11 pm
He's bound and determined to succeed Jesse Jackson as the nation's leading African American leader, so this candidacy is a logical step.

Oh, really? that's his motivation, huh? Well, I bet that would be news to him, because the white media picks the "African-American" leaders, without ever consulting African-Americans. That's why all we see is Sharpton and Jackson, and why we never see Hugh Price, Kweisi Mfume or Julian Bond.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 11:53 am
Not sure that would be news to him, Snood, because he said as much in a New Yorker profile about a year ago. Whether he should be perceived in this role--or if any one person should have such a role--is another question. As you say, the white media often do make such decisions, wrong though they be.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 01:02 pm
snood wrote:
...the white media picks the "African-American" leaders, without ever consulting African-Americans. That's why all we see is Sharpton and Jackson, and why we never see Hugh Price, Kweisi Mfume or Julian Bond.

Perhaps you are watching the wrong news.

I was fortunate to catch Kweisi Mfume on The O'Reilly Factor a while back, and was quite impressed with what he had to say. I have also seen Sharpton on will O'Reilly, and he also came across surprisingly well. (My opinion of Sharpton tends to be tainted by the Tawana Brawley fiasco that launched him on the national scene.) Of course, O'Reilly also has a standing invitation to have Jesse Jackson come on his show, but so far Jackson has not accepted the invitation.

I find no reference to Julian Bond ever appearing on Fox News, but a quick search of the Fox News Website shows me that Hugh Price was a guest on Hannity and Colmes on July 24, 2002.

So it would seem that some media may be more inclusive than others. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 01:48 pm
I saw Juian Bond at a speaking engagement in the early 1970's, when he had just been "discovered" (i.e., the white media became aware of him). Although i found him intelligent, engaging, witty and profoundly dedicated to the principles of a just, democratic republic--i did not see in him qualities of leadership. Although different in character, i saw him in much the same way that many people saw Huber Humphrey (whom i once briefly met), as a loquacious and intelligent speaker, who was speaking over the heads of most of his audience. And i realize that one hearing, when the man was still quite young, does not give me a good handle on what kind of leadership he might now be capable of.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 05:57 pm
Trespasser,
I've had a long day, and I'm very tired. With that in mind, and in the interest of letting discretion rule the day, I will leave some of the implications of what you say about Fox news and inclusiveness alone for now.

But I must say at least this - Bill O'reilly is a bully who has been given a pulpit. He is someone driven by ego, with delusions of serving the larger needs of "the folks" he likes to think he speaks for. (And please don't tell me about TV ratings. I've seen enough of this man, and Limbaugh, and Hannity- I like to know my enemy well), and I could give a crap if I was the ONLY household who didn't make the Neilsens. I only mentioned those three names to make a point; a point that is not acknowledged by quoting a few paltry appearances by them. The point is that they are not known because they are not reported on . There are many, many other names.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:01 pm
Agreed, Snood, that Bill O'Reilly hardly seems like the go-to guy for accurate reporting on what's going on the Black community...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:36 am
Sharpton is a rabble rousing racist opportunist. He is as phony as a three dollar bill. Regardless, I am sure that many blacks will vote for him based on his blackness not his qualifications.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:58 am
au, Many blacks and Latinos also vote democratic for candidates that resembles a three dollar bill. Sharpton may be a "rabble rousing racist" to you, but I'd prefer him over Lieberman any day of the week. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:59 am
He's got a nice hair doo! Razz
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 12:16 pm
c.i
The question is not about Leiberman or any of the other candidates it's about Sharpton. Living on the west coast you have no Idea what this guy is, does or has done. IF I may ask why the fixation on Leiberman he will never get nominated.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 12:31 pm
au, When Lieberman was the VP candidate with Albore, he kept changing his position on initiatives, because he thought they were vote losers. Very simply, he can't be trusted! c.i.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 06:21 pm
The question is not about Leiberman or any of the other candidates it's about Sharpton. Living on the west coast you have no Idea what this guy is, does or has done.

There was no "question" - the thread started with a simple declarative statement. Some people can't help "answering" with longwinded rants about what a cancer Sharpton is, whether anyone asks or not.

And just for shits and grins, why don't you list all the terrible things he does, or are you just full of hot air over Tawana Brawley from over a decade past?

(I was going to insert a disclaimer here, about how, while I defend Sharpton's right to a voice, I'm not standing in line for an autograph, but- **** it)
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 06:36 pm
snood wrote:
Trespasser, I've had a long day, and I'm very tired. With that in mind, and in the interest of letting discretion rule the day, I will leave some of the implications of what you say about Fox news and inclusiveness alone for now.

But I must say at least this - Bill O'reilly is a bully who has been given a pulpit. He is someone driven by ego, with delusions of serving the larger needs of "the folks" he likes to think he speaks for. (And please don't tell me about TV ratings. I've seen enough of this man, and Limbaugh, and Hannity- I like to know my enemy well), and I could give a crap if I was the ONLY household who didn't make the Neilsens. I only mentioned those three names to make a point; a point that is not acknowledged by quoting a few paltry appearances by them. The point is that they are not known because they are not reported on . There are many, many other names.

I find it interesting, and frankly telling, that you would meet the news that there is a television news outlet that does not exclude the men you listed not with pleasure but by belittling them and off-handedly treating their inclusion of these men as a non-event.

It would seem that there is no pleasing some people. :wink:

By the way, I would concur that O'Reilly can be a bully when facing someone who seeks to dodge questions and twist facts. He can also be bull-headed regarding things about which I think he is dead wrong. That said, his exchange with Kweisi Mfume was polite and respectful on both sides, and I would hazard a guess that Mr. Mfume would not agree with your over-the-top assessment of Mr. O'Reilly.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 07:14 pm
snood
I suggest you read the rules of this forum. You will find that offensive language is not welcomed.
As for Sharpton I couldn't care less about the Towana affair. Although it does indicate his level of honesty. I living in NY am quite familiar with his antics and racist utterances. He is a phony, rabble rouser and charlatan and opportunist.
0 Replies