Powerful political quotes...

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
I came across some interesting words spoken by even more interesting people, and I thought others might enjoy them as much as I did. There are more, but I have to get back to work. Please feel free to share other political gems that you may have come across. (and yes, I know there is a "quotes" forum... Razz)

I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country.
As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption of high places will follow. The money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed.
I feel more anxiety at this moment for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war.
Abraham Lincoln, November 21st, 1864

I believe that there will ultimately be a clash between the oppressed and those who do the oppressing. I believe that there will be a clash between those who want freedom, justice and equality for everyone and those who want to continue the system of exploitation. I believe that there will be that kind of clash, but I don't think it will be based on the colour of the skin...
Malcolm X

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and serville, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,048 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:54 pm
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.
Frederick Douglass

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx

Democracy means: Sticking to the rules of the game, even when the referee is not looking.
Manfred Hausmann

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle

Liberty is the possibility of doubting, the possibility of making a mistake, the possibility of searching and experimenting, the possibility of saying No to any authority - literary, artistic, philosophic, religious, social, and even political.
Ignazio Silone
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:20 pm
"Go f*ck yourself."

--Dick Cheney
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:39 pm
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:42 pm
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
-Benjamin Franklin

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.
-Benjamin Franklin

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others.
-William Allen White

"Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war." John Adams

The world has achieved brilliance without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Gen. Omar Bradley

"A wise man does not try to hurry history. Many wars have been avoided by patience, and many have been precipitated by reckless haste." Adlai Stevenson

Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous." William Proxmire

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

"A silent majority and government by the people is incompatible." Tom Hayden

"Sure there are dishonest men in local government. But there are dishonest men in national government too." Richard M. Nixon

"Even when the experts all agree, they may well be mistaken." Bertrand Russell
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:45 pm
Wow, I'm seriously impressed! Thanks for the submissions. Looks like I'll have a few new ones to put up in my workstation (translation: cubicle)!
Very Happy

By the way, I'm looking for political quotes from both sides of the spectrum... Righties, please feel free to toss in your favorites.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:30 pm
Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.
William F. Buckley, Jr.
0 Replies