Clinton Aide Took Classified Material for 9/11 report prep

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:23 am
I'm posting four versions of the same story, the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today and the fourth by FOX News. The Fox news versions illustrates the political bias of FOX News. The Times and the Post did not included unsubstantiated claims by an unnamed source that Berger hid papers in his clothing. Nor did they try to link Berger's acts to the Kerry-Edwards campaign as FOX did. Interesting that this investigation, which began in February) was leaked to the press just as the 9/11 Commission Report is to be released. Editors have reported they were contacted by at least three Bush administration staff to promote the leak. ---BBBTwo of the officials said Berger was reportedly seen stuffing some of the material into his clothing.

The FBI has conducted searches of Berger's home and office. But some of the documents he reviewed are still missing, the officials said. Some of those documents involved the Clinton administration's handling of intelligence surrounding terrorist plots to disrupt millennium celebrations in 1999 and identification of America's vulnerabilities at airports and seaports.

"I deeply regret the sloppiness involved but had no intention of withholding documents from the Commission and, to the contrary, to my knowledge every document requested by the Commission from the Clinton Administration was produced," Berger said in a statement Monday night. Berger said he returned some classified documents that he found in his office and all of the handwritten notes he had taken from the secure room. But, he said, he could not locate two or three copies of the millennium terror report.

"When I was informed by the archives that there were documents missing, I immediately returned everything I had except for a few documents that I apparently had accidentally discarded," he said. The archives is believed to have copies of some of the missing documents.

The government officials said the investigation was set in motion by National Archives employees who reportedly witnessed Berger's actions in the room.

David Gergen, who was an adviser to Clinton and worked with Berger for a time in the White House, said Tuesday, "I think it's more innocent than it looks."

Appearing on NBC's Today show, Gergen said, "I have known Sandy Berger for a long time. He would never do anything to compromise the security of the United States." Gergen said he thought that "it is suspicious" that word of the investigation of Berger would emerge just as the Sept. 11 commission is about to release its report, since "this investigation started months ago."

The revelation about Berger, first reported by the Associated Press, comes days before the commission releases its final report, which has become a political issue as both parties try to use its presumed findings to their advantage. Commission member Jamie Gorelick said the panel was informed about the investigation Monday.

Al Felzenberg, spokesman for the Sept. 11 commission, said Tuesday the Berger investigation will not impact the panel's work in any way. The 10-member bipartisan panel releases its final report on Thursday.

"This is a matter between the government and an individual," he said. "They were not our documents, and we believe we have access to all the materials we need to see to do our report."

Government and congressional officials familiar with the investigation, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because the probe involves classified materials, said no decision has been made on whether Berger should face criminal charges.

One of Berger's lawyers, Lanny Breuer, said Berger believed he was looking at copies of the classified documents, not originals.

The Archives, which is the nation's repository for presidential papers, is believed to have copies of some of the missing documents.

Berger was allowed to take handwritten notes. He knew that taking his own notes out of the secure reading room violated archives procedures. But, Breuer said, "I do not believe he acted illegally at all. He acted lawfully but admittedly sloppily."

Berger served as Clinton's national security adviser from 1997-2001 and has been advising Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed the handwritten notes by placing them in his jacket, pants and socks, and also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio.

"I deeply regret the sloppiness involved, but I had no intention of withholding documents from the commission, and to the contrary, to my knowledge, every document requested by the commission from the Clinton administration was produced," Berger said in a statement.

There are laws strictly governing the handling of classified information, including prohibiting unauthorized removal or release of such information.

Lanny Breuer, one of Berger's attorneys, said his client had offered to cooperate fully with the investigation but had not yet been interviewed by the FBI or prosecutors.

Berger served as Clinton's national security adviser for all of the president's second term and most recently has been informally advising Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. Clinton asked Berger last year to review and select the administration documents that would be turned over to the Sept. 11 commission.

Deputy Attorney General James Comey told reporters Tuesday he could not comment on the Berger investigation but did address the general issue of mishandling classified documents.

"As a general matter, we take issues of classified information very seriously," Comey said in response to a reporter's question about the Berger bind, adding that the department has prosecuted and sought administrative sanctions against people for mishandling classified information.

"It's our lifeblood, those secrets," Comey continued. "It's against the law for anyone to intentionally mishandle classified documents either by taking it to give to somebody else or by mishandling it in a way that is outside the government regulations."

'Inadvertent' Action?

The FBI searches of Berger's home and office occurred after National Archives employees said they believed they witnessed Berger placing documents in his clothing while reviewing sensitive Clinton administration papers and that some documents were missing.

Berger said he returned some classified documents that he found in his office and all of the handwritten notes he had taken from the secure room, but could not locate two or three copies of the millennium terror report.

"In the course of reviewing over several days thousands of pages of documents on behalf of the Clinton administration in connection with requests by the Sept. 11 commission, I inadvertently took a few documents from the Archives," Berger said.

"When I was informed by the Archives that there were documents missing, I immediately returned everything I had except for a few documents that I apparently had accidentally discarded."

Breuer said Berger believed he was looking at copies of the classified documents, not originals.

Government and congressional officials said no decision has been made on whether Berger should face criminal charges.

Although lawmakers didn't want to make a judgment call on Berger's fate until all the facts are known, they agreed that the situation doesn't look good for Berger, or even for Kerry.

"There's an ethic here -- that is of strict discipline, of not letting the fact you're working on a political campaign start to color your actions when it comes to national security," Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., told FOX News on Tuesday.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., called the news "surprising" and said that "unless we learn otherwise, I have to assume that what Sandy said was right -- that any removal of documents was inadvertent. But it is serious."

Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., said, "we need more information -- obviously the timing of it is not good" for Kerry.

"From now on, until the election, everything like this will have a spotlight put on it, examined very carefully," Lott continued.

More 'Innocent Than It Looks?'

David Gergen, who was an adviser to Clinton and worked with Berger for a time in the White House, said Tuesday, "I think it's more innocent than it looks."

"I have known Sandy Berger for a long time," Gergen said in a television interview. "He would never do anything to compromise the security of the United States." Gergen said he thought that "it is suspicious" that word of the investigation of Berger would emerge just as the Sept. 11 commission is about to release its report, since "this investigation started months ago."

Berger testified publicly at one of the commission's hearings about the Clinton administration's approach to fighting terrorism.

Berger had ordered his counterterrorism adviser, Richard Clarke, in early 2000 to write the after-action report and has publicly spoken about how the review brought to the forefront the realization that Al Qaeda had reached America's shores and required more attention.

The missing documents involve two or three draft versions of the report as it was being refined by the Clinton administration. The Archives is believed to have copies of some of the missing documents.

In the FBI search of his office, Berger also was found in possession of a small number of classified note cards containing his handwritten notes from the Middle East peace talks during the 1990s, but those are not a focal point of the current criminal probe, according to officials and lawyers.

Breuer said the Archives staff first raised concerns with Berger during an Oct. 2 review of documents that at least one copy of the post-millennium report he had reviewed earlier was missing. Berger was given a second copy that day, Breuer said.

Officials said Archive staff specially marked the documents and when the new copy and others disappeared, Archive officials called Clinton attorney Bruce Lindsey.

Berger immediately returned all the notes he had taken, and conducted a search and located two copies of the classified documents on a messy desk in his office, Breuer said. An Archives official came to Berger's home to collect those documents but Berger couldn't locate the other missing copies, the lawyer said.

Breuer said Berger was allowed to take handwritten notes but also knew that taking his own notes out of the secure reading room was a "technical violation of Archive procedures, but it is not all clear to us this represents a violation of the law."

Justice officials have informed the Sept. 11 commission of the Berger incident and the nature of the documents in case commissioners had any concerns, officials said. The commission is expected to release its final report on Thursday.

FOX News' Major Garrett, Liza Porteus, Anna Stolley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,735 • Replies: 96
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:29 am
FOX News creating non-existing "facts"
The FOX News article claimed: "Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed the handwritten notes by placing them in his jacket, pants and socks, and also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio."

Can anyone really believe that either Berger or his attorney would be stupid enough to make such a statement? Especially since Berger has not been formally interviewed by the government's attornies.

Can anyone really believe that Berger would be stupid enough to hide documents in his clothes?

Can anyone really believe that intelligent readers would believe what FOX News claims?

Can anyone really believe that if there was solid evidence that Berger hid documents in his clothes that the Times and the Post would not have included such a big story in their reports?

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:33 am
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-07-19-berger-probe_x.htm

Does the USAToday pass muster for you?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
Re: FOX News creating non-existing "facts"
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Can anyone really believe that if there was solid evidence that Berger hid documents in his clothes that the Times and the Post would not have included such a big story in their reports?

You forget, BBB: the Murdoch media empire has very well-informed sources supplying it with exclusive scoops.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/06/nypost.ap/vert.nypost.jpg

You don't get that kind of reporting in the NY Times or the Washington Post!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
Joe
Joe, yes I remember - its still funny to see. Very Happy

BBB
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
This is from the USAToday link McGentrix posted

"Three government officials who have been briefed on the investigation said Berger had removed handwritten notes and classified documents from a private room at the National Archives where he was preparing for his March 24 testimony. The officials declined to be identified because of the sensitivity of the investigation.
Two of the officials said Berger was reportedly seen stuffing some of the material into his clothing."

Third hand reports from administration officials who refuse to be identified is not exactly what I would call a slam dunk.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:38 pm
I'm sorry, did I miss something? HE'S ADMITTED DOING IT!

Quote:
Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed the handwritten notes by placing them in his jacket, pants and socks, and also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio.

C'mon people, get in the game!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
Please. I wonder how the investigation is going on who in the Bush Administration leaked Valerie Plame's name to Novak.

How's that game going, McG?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:47 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Please. I wonder how the investigation is going on who in the Bush Administration leaked Valerie Plame's name to Novak.

Non sequiter
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm
Anyone noticing the timing on this "report"?

Let's see they have been INVESTIGATING FOR AWHILE

YET

The story isn't released to the papers until 2 DAYS BEFORE THE 9.11 COMMISSION REPORT COMES OUT.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm sure it's all a coinky inky dink!

and of course we all know pigs fly!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
Redheat wrote:
Anyone noticing the timing on this "report"?

Let's see they have been INVESTIGATING FOR AWHILE

YET

The story isn't released to the papers until 2 DAYS BEFORE THE 9.11 COMMISSION REPORT COMES OUT.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm sure it's all a coinky inky dink!

and of course we all know pigs fly!

Red herring conspiracy theory.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

Non sequiter

Misspelling.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

Non sequiter

Misspelling.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:05 pm
heeheehee D'Artagnan! Smile
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:09 pm
Also, Congrats, BBB! Posting all four write-ups was a very good idea. It serves well to show the contrast between responsible journalism and sensationalized journalism quite nicely! Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:03 pm
I read about this morning. It does leave a person to wonder what could be up with that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:26 pm
Quote:
Analysis: The odd Berger investigation
By Michael Kirkland
UPI Legal Affairs Correspondent
Published 7/20/2004 2:04 PM

WASHINGTON, July 20 (UPI) -- The ongoing FBI investigation of Clinton national security adviser Samuel "Sandy" Berger for removing classified documents from the National Archives is highly unusual in several respects.

Berger seems to be saying the whole thing is just a product of his professorial absentmindedness. Other than that, there doesn't appear to be any criminal motive for what he did.

And interestingly enough, Berger is not the first Clinton national security adviser to get in hot water on the handling of sensitive matters.

Meanwhile, one former colleague said Tuesday that Berger only took copies of internal critiques on counter-terrorism from the National Archives last summer, apparently inadvertently, while preparing for testimony before the Sept. 11 Commission.

That statement appeared to soften some news accounts of Berger's actions. Initial reports said Berger took documents from the National Archives that were critical of the Clinton administration's efforts against terror and that those documents were now missing.

Sources confirmed that the FBI is investigating the allegations, but any decision on whether to bring charges would be made by the Justice Department.

Removing classified documents is a violation of federal law. Berger also allegedly removed some of the notes he took while researching the documents, which also is forbidden without permission from archives staff. Berger's actions were reported to the FBI by archives staff.

The investigation certainly has some strange characteristics.

Berger is a campaign adviser to Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, who should be nominated next week in Boston as the Democratic Party nominee for president. A decision on whether to prosecute Berger probably will be made by career Justice Department officials, but those officials are supervised by appointees of President Bush.

Berger and his lawyer said the former national security adviser has been told he is the "subject" of an investigation, not the "target" -- which normally means investigators have not decided whether they even have enough evidence to bring a charge.

The investigation has been "ongoing" for at least eight months, but Berger has yet to be interviewed by the FBI. A Berger lawyer said FBI agents searched the former national security adviser's home and office safe.

And news of the investigation apparently leaked out only days before the commission issues its final report, expected to be highly critical of both the Clinton and Bush administrations.

Former Clinton aide David Gergen, who worked with Berger in the White House, was interviewed on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday and said of Berger's actions, "I think it's more innocent than it looks."

Gergen said Berger was not attempting to remove anything critical of the Clinton administration. Copies of the purportedly missing documents apparently were widely dispersed, and Berger has said the Sept. 11 Commission received everything it asked for.

The documents reportedly were copies of evaluations by Richard Clarke of the National Security Council on how the Clinton administration handled terror threats to the 2000 millennium celebrations. The sometimes harshly critical evaluations included recommendations that the commission wanted to review.

Gergen defended Berger in the "Today" interview. "I have known Sandy Berger for a long time," he said. "He would never do anything to compromise the security of the United States."

Gergen also said he found it "suspicious" that news of the investigation should surface just as the Sept. 11 Commission is about to release its report.

For his part, Berger has said in a statement that he regretted his "sloppiness" while reviewing thousands of pages of documents at the request of former President Bill Clinton, "but I had no intention of withholding documents from the commission, and to the contrary, to my knowledge, every document requested by the commission from the Clinton administration was produced."

Berger said as soon as he was told by the archives that there were documents missing, "I immediately returned everything I had except for a few documents that I apparently had accidentally discarded."

This is not the first time a Clinton-era official has gotten into trouble over the handling of classified material.

Former Director of Central Intelligence John Deutch was investigated in 1998 for using his home computers, configured for unclassified use, to process classified material. A CIA inspector general's report said Deutch's computers had Internet connections, and "all classified information on those computers was at risk of compromise."

The CIA report said it was unknown whether "any of the information was stolen or compromised."

The report said Deutch's suitability for handling classified material should be reviewed immediately, and the investigation blighted Deutch's career.

Berger is not even the first Clinton national security adviser to face allegations he mishandled sensitive matters.

Former Clinton national security adviser Anthony Lake withdrew his name from consideration as director of central intelligence in 1997 after Senate Republicans indicated they wanted an investigation before confirmation.

Democrats said the GOP obstruction was payback for their blocking of officials in Republican administrations, but Lake was facing allegations he did not do enough to keep financial contributors with questionable backgrounds away from the White House.

Lake told a Senate committee he did not know of FBI warnings to his own NSC staff that Chinese agents had targeted some U.S. politicians for political donations. He also said he was unaware of his staff's unsuccessful effort to keep the president from meeting with a contributor who was accused of embezzlement in his native Lebanon.
Source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
heh! No bias there!
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
heh! No bias there!

Are you suggesting a Moonie bias?
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:34 pm
Thanks Walter

Another ploy of the US Department of Justice using it's office to taint a Democrat in a political move. Your tax dollars at work folks! Bush can't talk issues so they have to drum up these kinds of stories and of course that liberal media laps it up.

I'm sure 8 months ago, 4 months ago, or even 1 month ago it didn't seem as important as it did 2 day's BEFORE the 9.11 commission (the one Bush fought against and stalled) was to give their final report or right before the Democratic Convention.
0 Replies