Removing criminals from society without going to their level

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
[In 16th and 17th century, in England] One option was to offer criminals a pardon if they joined the army or navy. The other was transportation.

I've been in the navy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:25 pm
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
From my limited understanding of the history of Australia, many were sent there from England and Ireland for "minor" offenses.

I believe that's a bit of a myth. No doubt you can find cases where someone was transported for a minor crime but the overwhelming cases were serious felons, and I mean serious. But there were some political prisoners as well. Many Fenians were sent to the penal colony at Port Arthur in Tasmania and I believe also some Acadians were transported there. In Hobart there are monuments to the Canadians who were sent to Port Arthur.

ps Craven not all the colonies in Australia were penal colonies, one, South Australia, was a Province settled primarily by free people, many of whom were cheesed off with England (and Ireland).
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:31 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
[In 16th and 17th century, in England] One option was to offer criminals a pardon if they joined the army or navy. The other was transportation.

I've been in the navy.

Churchill made a reference to the Royal Navy's history as being full of "rum, sodomy and the lash". Apparently it wasn't multiple choice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:47 pm
goodfielder wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
From my limited understanding of the history of Australia, many were sent there from England and Ireland for "minor" offenses.

I believe that's a bit of a myth. No doubt you can find cases where someone was transported for a minor crime but the overwhelming cases were serious felons, and I mean serious. But there were some political prisoners as well. Many Fenians were sent to the penal colony at Port Arthur in Tasmania and I believe also some Acadians were transported there. In Hobart there are monuments to the Canadians who were sent to Port Arthur.

ps Craven not all the colonies in Australia were penal colonies, one, South Australia, was a Province settled primarily by free people, many of whom were cheesed off with England (and Ireland).

And are now cheesed off with Sydney and Canberra.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
I love Sydney, and hope to someday revisit that wonderful city. Don't know if I'll be able to do the bridge climb again, but enjoy the whole town and what it offers visitors.
0 Replies