Does " These are trying times for truth seekers" refer to...?

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:55 am
Does " These are trying times for truth seekers" refer to "for truth seekers, these problems (arrogance or anxiety) are a period of trial/ordeal"?

Context:

It has become a truism by now that scientists are not mere knowledge-acquisition machines; they are guided by emotion and intuition as well as by cold reason and calculation. Scientists are rarely so human, I have found, so at the mercy of their fears and desires, as when they are confronting the limits of knowledge. The greatest scientists want, above all, to discover truths about nature (in addition to acquiring glory, grants, and tenure and improving the lot of humankind); they want to know. They hope, and trust, that the truth is attainable, not merely an ideal or asymptote, which they eternally approach. They also believe, as I do, that the quest for knowledge is by far the noblest and most meaningful of all human activities.

Scientists who harbor this belief are often accused of arrogance. Some are arrogant, supremely so. But many others, I have found, are less arrogant than anxious. These are trying times for truth seekers. The scientific enterprise is threatened by technophobes, animal-rights activists, religious fundamentalists and stingy politicians. Social, political and economic constraints will make it more difficult to practice science, and pure science in particular, in the future.

More:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/einstein-the-anxiety-of-influence-and-the-end-of-science/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 413 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 01:25 am
These are trying times for truth seekers. [because] The scientific enterprise is threatened by technophobes, animal-rights activists, religious fundamentalists and stingy politicians. [and] Social, political and economic constraints will make it more difficult to practice science, and pure science in particular, in the future.
oristarA

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:35 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

These are trying times for truth seekers. [because] The scientific enterprise is threatened by technophobes, animal-rights activists, religious fundamentalists and stingy politicians. [and] Social, political and economic constraints will make it more difficult to practice science, and pure science in particular, in the future.

So "these" refers to the problems in the red font?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 02:52 am
These [times] are trying times.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:25 am
Cool.
Thanks.
But why not use a colon - "These are trying times for truth seekers:" seems clearer.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:25 pm
@oristarA,
"These are trying times for truth seekers:"

The "These" means "These days" or "the present time"
It does not refer to any list of items.

Another example: "These are the times that try men's souls.'

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 03:39 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
But why not use a colon - "These are trying times for truth seekers:" seems clearer.

A native speaker would find it equally clear with or without a colon, since they would recognise immediately to what 'these' refers.
0 Replies