Does "clunkily-named" mean "clumsily-called/termed"?

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 11:18 am

Context:

The more astronomers learn about the clunkily-named Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, the stranger it seems. The icy wanderer is currently hosting the European Space Agency’s Rosetta probe, which entered the comet’s orbit roughly a year ago. Since then the spacecraft and its robotic lander Philae have revealed a trove of new insights about the comet—many of them contradictory. Now scientists analyzing the data are in a muddle, wondering how 67P ever acquired its bizarre combination of traits, in particular its seemingly incongruous chemical composition and shape. Unraveling the mystery may upend scientists’ understanding not just of this comet, but also of the history of the solar system at large.

More:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/duck-shaped-comet-confounds-astronomers/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 604 • Replies: 3

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 11:31 am
Yes. Clumsy in style, form, or execution.
oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 09:34 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Yes. Clumsy in style, form, or execution.

Thanks.
Can you remember the name Churyumov-Gerasimenko easily?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:19 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Can you remember the name Churyumov-Gerasimenko easily?

No, but I probably could if I were an astronomer specializing in comets, who read, wrote, heard and spoke it often. I expect I would, in everyday conversation and in notes, like my fellow astronomers, abbreviate it to 67P or 67P/C-G. People can remember lots of equally "clunky" things in their professional lives or if it is important to them. To call the name "clunky" was stupid in my opinion.
0 Replies