Batman Vs Superman! A Dull SCotUS action film? Or the Next Great Comic Book movie?

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 12:18 pm

Yep. I know its super early for a thread on the next big DC comic movie , Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016).

Initial questions were brought up:
1. Could Ben Affleck actually tackle Bruce Wayne/Batman (considering his acting failures in Daredevil, Gigli, etc...)?
2. Could Zach Snyder pull out of a deep creative dive since he tonally driven Man of Steel (2013) into the ground with his over the top grittiness that drove many rabid Superboy fanboys mad because so much violence and destruction wasn't balanced out with the usual tone of hope, compassion, and light humor that's always been associated with the Superman character?
3. Could Henry Cavill give us viewers a bloody smile and lighten up in his sophomore attempt at Superman? Maybe crack a joke or two?
4. Could Jesse Eisenberg play a convincing Lex Luthor?
5. Is Wonder Woman really a throw away character in this film? How much time will they spend on introducing her (considering this is the first time she's been on the (legitimately) silver screen since ever?

(The release is March 2016)

engineer

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 01:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok, that was really good, especially the last 30 seconds or so. Who knew about Taylor and Batman?

No, it is never too early to declare for Team Clark or Team Bruce.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:25 am

Hopes are ionospheric high with this one. Definitely seeing it in IMAX.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:35 am
as a huge comic book fan i have no desire to see it, i admit to liking most of the x-men films, the '89 batman and bits and pieces of the nolan franchise, especially the first film in it's entirety, and oddly enough the most recent spiderman films

couldn't get through an hour of the avengers, had no desire to see either hulk or thor, have yet to watch captain america, but loved Agent Carter, watched twenty minutes of green lantern and gave up

engineer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 08:24 am
@djjd62,
I loved the new Batman trilogy, liked Superman Returns and hated Man of Steel. I had serious concerns about this one but I like the way it is setting up in the trailer. Nutcases see Superman as God so naturally Batman has to take him down because people shouldn't worship Superman. I like that premise (if that is really what it is). It also hearkens to The Dark Knight Returns which is probably the most influential work in the Batman universe. I'm starting to have hopes.

Oh, and WW is clearly going to have a bit role but the idea is to set up her movie, so I'm ok with that.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 01:09 pm
@engineer,
the third series in the Dark Knight comics just started, i didn't like the second installment as much as the first, but this one looks promising, a grown up Carrie is the new Batman, the series is called The Master Race. there is also a one shot prequel, Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade, planned for early this coming year
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 01:17 pm
@djjd62,
The second Dark Knight series was a disappointment. I am looking forward to the upcoming Frank Miller book. The Dark Knight Returns was one of the biggest reasons for me to obsess over Batman. The other one happened to be Alan Moore's The Killing Joke.

I used to have a first edition of the Killing Joke. No idea where it is right now. Lost to time after I moved to NYC and most of my comic collection stayed in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:00 am
@tsarstepan,
http://i65.tinypic.com/33kyc2a.jpg
There Are Some Serious Quality Differences Among Superhero Movies
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 01:32 am

The movie was filmed with 70MM special effects scenes, so here is a list of theaters that are showing it in either 70MM film or IMAX With Laser:

http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-imax-theaters/

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/02/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-imax-70mm-laser-screening-information.html

The list of 70MM showings is probably complete. However, I suspect that there are some IMAX With Laser showings that aren't listed, so if you happen to live near one of the larger IMAX venues it might be worth asking your theater.

For those who don't already know the differences (or the significance), in this sort of IMAX movie, scenes with ordinary dialog are shown in normal widescreen format. But for special effects scenes, the projected image expands in height dramatically to display a much bigger picture.

For "70MM IMAX" (sometimes referred to with the number 1570 or 15/70), the resolution of the expanded images is 8K (both horizontally and vertically).

"IMAX with Laser" uses projectors with a 4K horizontal resolution.

Any other IMAX theater will be "Digital IMAX" (also known as LIEmax). These theaters use projectors with a 2K horizontal resolution, and the image does not expand to the full height of the other two versions (although it does expand a little bit).
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 02:19 am
@oralloy,
I can confirm that the Grand Rapids 70MM showing is correct:
Quote:
Celebration! Cinema Grand Rapids North is one of ten theatres in the U.S.A. to offer a special 70mm film presentation of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in IMAX.

http://celebrationcinema.com/movie/Batman+v+Superman%3a+Dawn+of+Justice+IMAX+70+MM+2D/
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 04:25 am
@oralloy,
Are there any version that were filmed with a good script?
I guess we will find out soon.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 07:19 pm
Uh oh, a 40% on the Tomatometer isn't good.

I think I'll wait for a cheap download in a few months and see 10 Cloverfield Ln instead. Now that thing's getting some good reviews.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 11:56 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Talk about taking an ice water bath in the Antarctica in the middle of a winter blizzard. I already have my ticket ... so please pray for my soul Rosborne.

rosborne979 wrote:
I think I'll wait for a cheap download in a few months and see 10 Cloverfield Ln instead. Now that thing's getting some good reviews.

You better see that bloody movie! It's AWESOME! Seriously! John Goodman needs an Oscar nod for this one.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 02:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Talk about taking an ice water bath in the Antarctica in the middle of a winter blizzard. I already have my ticket ... so please pray for my soul Rosborne.

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you will be able to find some redeeming quality to it Wink
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 04:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

40% at Rotten Tomatoes isn't the greatest, but it isn't completely terrible either. There will certainly be problems with it, but the movie should also have some redeeming features. I've enjoyed plenty of movies that Rotten Tomatoes placed into the "middle percentages".

Now, if they'd ranked it 10%.....

For what it's worth, I finally got sick of conflicting figures for the resolution of 70MM IMAX, and went off in search of figures that are grounded in reality:

http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/IMAX15perf_70mmTechSpecs.htm

11,753 x 8,772
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 07:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I already have my ticket ...

Are you going to see it in 70mm IMAX? I see that New York City has one of the 15/70 prints this time:

"AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 & IMAX -- New York"
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2016 11:50 pm
@oralloy,
Nope. I wish that was the case. Someone else picked the theater. Seeing it at Times Square.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2016 11:09 am
@tsarstepan,
The Onion Reviews ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 09:59 am
@tsarstepan,
One minute to carnage and destruction. Seek shelter!
engineer

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 10:20 am
Reviews are pretty bad. Probably have to see it anyway.
0 Replies