Batman Vs Superman! A Dull SCotUS action film? Or the Next Great Comic Book movie?

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 11:29 am
One review that made me snort described the baddie as looking like a giant turd.

Most reviews I've read here in the UK are pretty dire.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 03:27 pm
This movie is what happens when you put the subtle and nuanced motivations of grand characters into the hands of people who don't like subtlety or nuance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 03:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
come back
come back
we still like you
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 03:40 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Uh oh, a 40% on the Tomatometer isn't good.

30% now

Confused
rosborne979

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2016 06:45 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
30% now

I saw that. It's unfortunate, but not unexpected given the tricky nature of the story and the poor choice of director.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 12:47 am

It appears that the audiences might like the movie better than the critics do.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 04:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Audiences definitely like it more than critics do, which is typically the case. I don't know what causes that exactly, except maybe that professional critics are rarely teenagers.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 05:58 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Audiences definitely like it more than critics do, which is typically the case. I don't know what causes that exactly, except maybe that professional critics are rarely teenagers.

I might be the exception to your teenage hypothesis. And yes, I tend to often agree with the critics but not in this case.

Batman v. Superman was a thoroughly enjoyable popcorn flick. It was even better than The Avengers: Age of Ultron. All the major flaws brought up by the critics were overblown statements leadened with hyperbole. I definitely remain optimistic about the upcoming Wonder Woman solo movie and the big one, Justice League Part One (1917).

Critic-Proof "Batman v Superman" Has Record Weekend, Making $170.1M in U.S. and $424.1M Worldwide
engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 06:30 am
@oralloy,
It's kind of a must see movie, but the real test isn't the first week, it is the following weeks after the die hard fans see it. I considered myself a die hard fan, but it is hard for me to get to the theater so if I have to make a call for one movie, I might have to go with Zootopia which has been getting stellar reviews. BvS might be a rental.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 06:41 am
@engineer,
Zootopia is incredible. I won't hold it against you if you choose it over Batman V. Superman.

But you're definitely right. The next couple of weeks will decide if this first weekend success was a fluke fed by the diehard fanbase or if the movie was a genuine success despite the critics' fervor and hate against it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 01:58 pm

Hmmm. This doesn't bode well.

"It fell 37.8% on Saturday, which is the second worst superhero opening Friday-to-Saturday drop, only behind the 40% drop of The Dark Knight Rises."

"in North America the film set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern box office history with a 58% decline, which was previously held by Fantastic Four."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_v_Superman:_Dawn_of_Justice
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 02:24 pm
@oralloy,
yeh but this was the Elite 8 of the NCAA mens basketry ball
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 07:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I might be the exception to your teenage hypothesis. And yes, I tend to often agree with the critics but not in this case.

I'm glad you still liked it. People look for different things in their movies.
tsarstepan wrote:
Batman v. Superman was a thoroughly enjoyable popcorn flick. It was even better than The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Ugh, unfortunately I wasn't very impressed with Age of Ultron either.

Based on what you saw, do you think they should keep the same director for the Wonder Woman movie and the first Justice League movie?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 07:28 pm
@rosborne979,
I usually enjoy these comic book character movies, but from the posts on B vs S, I'm beginning to wonder. Should we or shouldn't we?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 07:39 pm
@rosborne979,
Wonder Woman already has a different director. Her name is Patty Jenkins.

As for the Justice League films? I would rather that Zach Snyder merely produce it and step aside and allow someone else direct.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 04:24 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Wonder Woman already has a different director. Her name is Patty Jenkins.

As for the Justice League films? I would rather that Zach Snyder merely produce it and step aside and allow someone else direct.

Who would be a good screenwriter for Justice League, Brad Bird maybe?

I would get Zach Snyder as far away from it as possible. He seems to be a one trick pony, with an annoying trick.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 06:31 am
@rosborne979,
Zach Snyder needs a very disciplined codirector. He has a great visual and technical style but his problem is with the functional storytelling. M. Night Shyamalan has a similar problem. He's great for building atmosphere and tension but otherwise pretty useless telling a cohesive story.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 07:10 am
@tsarstepan,
This is an amazing text conversation (reportedly) between Ben Affleck and George Clooney:
George Clooney Texts Sad Ben Affleck About 'Batman V Superman'
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 07:22 am
@tsarstepan,
Holy spoof, tartsy! That's hilarious!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/74/72/71/7472718229deb1b1edb42f95367ba2e0.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 10:13 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Zach Snyder needs a very disciplined codirector. He has a great visual and technical style but his problem is with the functional storytelling.
And it's the storytelling which is of paramount importance to the movie, so that's a pretty big problem (IMO).