Does "individualistic coping" mean "personal ability of dealing with things"?

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 12:03 pm

Context:

The Stigma of Mental Health Treatment in the Military: An Experimental
Approach
Crosby Hipes
The University of Maryland
ABSTRACT
The stigma of mental health treatment in the military may operate via the stereotype that soldiers who seek treatment are weak. Perceptions of weakness derive from the belief that treatment violates military norms of group cohesion and individualistic coping. This vignette study examines the effects of group-centric motivation and a shared ingroup on weakness perceptions.
Results show no effect of the experimental variables on perceived weakness. However results yield support for the hypothesis that contact with others who have sought treatment will reduce stigma. Also, officers stereotyped treatment seekers as weak more than did junior enlisted
personnel.
INTRODUCTION

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 425 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 01:21 pm
@oristarA,
Yes Ori I'd say so
oristarA

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 03:23 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Yes Ori I'd say so

Thanks.
Does "This vignette study examines the effects of group-centric motivation and a shared ingroup on weakness perceptions" mean "This tiny-scale study examines the effects of group-centric motivation and the effects of a shared ingroup on weakness perceptions"? (what does "shared ingroup" mean here?)
dalehileman

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 03:57 pm
@oristarA,
Yes Ori I'd guess it does. However without considerable background dunno what's meant by "shared ingroup." Hope we hear from some smarter than me

...of whom a2k has many

Help, one of you fellas
0 Replies