THE THREAT OF THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:25 pm
Re: THE THREAT OF THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT
Setanta wrote:
It has been a topic of much debate in these fora whether or not the injection of religion into political decisions is a good or a bad thing-and often, even whether or not this is happening. I consider that the injection of sectarian religious views into political policy making is a significant danger. It sidesteps the responsibility of responsible parties to take into consideration all the factors which impinge upon their decisions. For example, Bush is claimed to have told Palestinian Prime Minister Abbas: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them." The veracity of this quote is in dispute, but i have not found, in a good faith effort for house this morning, a positive refutation of the quote.

Are you serious? You can't prove Bush ever said these things, but you are going to stick by it because you couldn't (in a good faith effort) find a positive refutation? So, because you can't find someone who can prove a negative (That Bush didn't say these things) you figure they're worthy of using to lead off your argument.

What is significant to me, apart from this, is the extent to which members of the religious right are willing to follow this man, because they believe him to be the chose of the deity. As another example:

"Why is GW Bush our president? It was God's choice."

This is a quote from the page The Duty is Ours, at a site of the christian right which seeks to implement a religiously inspired agenda in national and local affairs--the quote above is at the bottom of this page. The page contains quite a few scriptural quotes which purport to establish that Bush is the chosen of God. On January 2, 2004, Pat Robertson stated during a 700 Club broadcast that: "I think George Bush is going to win in a walk. I really believe that I'm hearing from the Lord it's going to be like a blowout election of 2004. It's shaping up that way. The Lord has just blessed him . . . It doesn't make any difference what he does, good or bad. God picks him up because he's a man of prayer and God's blessing him." I have emphasized here what i consider to be the most dangerous concept embodied in this view of the president as chosen of god.

You are giving Pat Robertson far too much credit for religious zeal. He doesn't support Bush because he believes God has annointed the man, he believes God has annoited the man because he agrees with Robertson on many issues.
Are their foolishly zealous people out there who have somehow come to the conclusion that Bush is God's choice and will thus vote for him no matter what? Probably. There are people who believe he is a murderous criminal and would therefore never vote for him no matter what he did. What is the difference?

I've spent a great deal of time on-line to verify what i have posted here. I've left out a great deal for which i was not able to establish the attribution. Further, i did not want to clog this thread with the literally hundreds of thousands of hits i got when searching for quotations and attributions on this subject.

I'm afraid your first quotation doesn't speak much for your on-line scholarship so forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

My point is that if one is convinced that they are the chosen of God, then there is no longer a sense of responsibility to consider the views of others, or even to proceed in a democratic manner.

You can prove some people, at least, contend that they believe Bush is the choice of God. You cannot, at all, prove that Bush believes he is the choice of God.

Those who believe in scriptural authority and revealed truth will neither oppose nor challenge the motives of those whose claim to divine authority is accepted by them. More than that, they will become good christian soldiers in the army of the righteous, devoted to their candidate and his agenda. When this happens, those whoSE theological views are not consonant with said agenda, and those who are disturbed by or actively opposed to religious agendas worked out in the public arena are marginalized. Those who are of strong religious conviction but who do not subscribe to the creed or creeds being promoted are marginalized. And finally, the voice of dissent is quickly labeled as the propaganda of the Anti-Christ, and eventually, by extension, treason against the nation.

This makes for empassioned rhetoric, but it is little more than the same sort of demagoguery you, undoubtedly, ascribe to the Religious Right.

Your first statement is a classic:

"Those who believe in scriptural authority and revealed truth will neither oppose nor challenge the motives of those whose claim to divine authority is accepted by them."

Well of course they won't if they have accepted someone's claim to divine authority. I have news for you, so will a stew bum or a liberal radio commentator. It's sort of axiomatic isn't it. If you believe some has divine authority you're not going to question their motives. Of course, the real question is how many people who believe in scriptual authority and revealed truth believe anyone, let alone George Bush, has divine authority?
Perhaps your on-line research has provided you with reliable evidence to prove that the group is legion.

Similarly you have jumped from being "Good Christian Soldiers" (Which has far far less of a militaristic connotation that you would prefer) to at best, dismissing the views of others, and, at worst, charging those opponents with the foulest of sins.

Opponents of a particular school of thought or even simply non-believers can not be truly marginalized unless the school of thought is dominant. Fundamentalist Christianity is not. Simply more demagoguery on your part.

For these reasons, i am continually and diametrically opposed to the injection of religious tenants into the arena of public policy decision.

And, of course, you are entitled to taking this overly dramatic position, that doesn't make it any less dramatic or ill founded.

It also doesn't make your position any less intolerant, or prejudiced.

Considering that for many people (not just the ones with which you disagree and fear) religious tenants shape their beliefs on such issues as war, abortion, the death penalty, aiding the needy and so on, it's difficult to imagine how you might succeed with your mission.

I am not a Christian nor member of any religion, and I do believe that fundamentalism of any kind can, under certain circumstances, be perilous to society, but I have no use for what amounts to blatant bigotry towards honest and decent Americans who happen to share a faith which is not in vogue with liberal elitists.

Members of the so called Religious Right are as entitled to express and act upon their political opinions as are Gays & Lesbians, Autoworkers, or any number of secular groups organized around commons beliefs and/or interests.

When the Religious Right makes a serious attempt to impose a State Religion, or persecute those whom they deign to be heretics, then I'll join you on the ramparts. In the meantime it's all left wing demagoguery.

0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:37 pm
I can explain how any view may be a religious one. I believe in God. I believe that God is perfect. Regardless of this, I still do not know how he would handle every situation. I do not know what his stand would be on gun control, but I want my view to be the same, in other words perfect. So I think over the issue, and decide what I believe to be the best choice, and one I feel a perfect being would be pleased with. Essential the same as a non-religious person might do, "What would the perfect sysytem be?" Only the accountability for my choice is different.

If I did not think everything out myself, that would be a problem.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:46 pm
This thread is funny.

Setanta is upset because a minority group is influencing the politics of his great country.

A minority group.....

Set.....

Funny.....

(Hands up who's been chewed out by Set before for generalising or assuming something about a minority group.)

(By the way Set, I mean no offence, I just think it's funny..... really.)
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:48 pm
Adrian, way to relieve the tension after Finn d'Abuzz's post. Still, I hope those two go at it, it could be interesting.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:55 pm
That would put me in the slightly bizarre position of being on Finn's side for the first time.

Hmmm.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:48 am
religious views
SCoates wrote:
I definitely want to vote for whomever I feel will best represent my religious views . . . All of my views are religious, because I am a religious person. When I say I would vote for someone who would best represent my religious views, I see no difference when you vote for someone who represents your views. For example, if I am against abortion, if I am for greater budgets for education, if I am for gun control. Those are my religious views, and I want them represented.

Given separation of church and state, how can any elected government official legitimately represent any constituent's purely "religious" views?

For example, if abortion or same-sex marriage is contrary to a person's religious views, there is no law requiring that person to engage in an activity that is repugnant to those views. If a person desires an elected government official to represent his views through laws that affect everyone--that person is attempting to impose his views on other people in society who may not share those same views. A person's religious views do not give him the right to interfere in other people's private matters.

I don't understand how imposing one's religious views on others who do not share those same views can be a legitimate interest that any government official can represent.

We have to draw a line between public issues that affect everyone and private matters that only affect the parties involved. Certainly, all citizens should vote their conscience on issues of public importance. But, in a nation founded specifically to preserve individual rights, we ought to tread very carefully before we start taking away other people's rights to make their own decisions concerning private matters.

Freedom in this country means freedom for everyone regardless of their diverse backgrounds and belief systems. I don't want to live my private life by laws that were enacted to give legal substance to other people's religious views that I might not share.
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:53 am
There's no need to use ALL CAPS! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:04 am
Commenting on Sets original remarks,

I think the puppeteers are just using religion. They probably think it quite hilarious when Bush says he's doing God's will or makes some other overtly religious reference.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:20 am
All caps.
Earl Grey wrote:

I can't see where anyone on this thread has used all caps.

If you are seeing all caps on your computer screen, you need to go into your tools / internet options file and change your own viewing fonts.

If you intended your one-liner as a joke, I don't get it. LOL
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:49 am
Earl Grey wrote:

True, on my screen, I see no all caps anywhere.
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:12 am
cavfancier wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:

True, on my screen, I see no all caps anywhere.

Check the topic headline.
It seems Setanta uses all caps in his/her headlines. Probably because Setanta thinks his/her topics deserve more attention than others.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:26 am
I often use all caps to headline my threads. Non issue, dude. LOL.
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:29 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I often use all caps to headline my threads. Non issue, dude. LOL.

I have a different opinion. To me using all caps is rude, regardless of if you use it in your headline or in the post itself. All caps is the same as screaming for attention.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:46 am
As for Finn's nonsense, i haven't said that Bush believes he is the choice of God, but i have pointed out that there is a quotation attributed to him which i find no evidence he as publicly denied it. I have specifically throughout pointed out that i'm not concerned with what passes for thought with the Shrub, but rather for what the "devout" among his supporters believe. It is no demagoguery to point out that a minority president wants to implement programs dear to the heart of a smaller minority than that which voted for him. It is germaine to point out the particular character (this is in response to Jim and Adrian) of the religiously devout, in that they will not question what they consider to be divine writ or decision, which is burden of my argument here. A labor union member might, and they frequently do challenge the assumptions of their leadersip. The religiously fervent are already in the business of seeking wisdom from on high.

I have not stated categorically that the Shrub thinks he's divinely chose, although i do suspect the idea appeals to him, and will do so increasingly if he feels himself beset by enemies on all sides.

I have very strongly, and continue to state that religious devotion carries with it an unquestioning acceptance of the dictates of religious leadership which is not present in other categories of interest groups. If anyone cares to argue that, i'm willing. The rest is simply dross, as this thread has never been about the ego of the pathetic little boy in the White House.

Currently, there are many of religious devotion crying out for a constitutional amendment to prevent the states from legalizing "gay marriage." Time for Finn to head to the ramparts.

Earl Grey needs to get a grip.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:04 am
Setanta wrote:
I have very strongly, and continue to state that religious devotion carries with it an unquestioning acceptance of the dictates of religious leadership which is not present in other categories of interest groups.

You may be right, but religion does have close secular substitutes in their appeal to True Believers. In my own lifetime, I have seen communists, environmentalists and nationalists with comparable zeal as the religious right in America. I'm sure there are other ideologies which your arguments apply to as much as they apply to religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:47 am
In fact, Thomas, upon my return, i intended to make just that point. Jim has brought up labor unions--labor unions elect local leadership, and the leadership of the locals elect the national leadership. A national leadership which is not responsive to the will of the membership can, in a cumbersome process be disposed of. The qualification for leadership in a local is simply being a member of the Union. By contrast, religious leadership is restricted to those who complete a specified educational requirement, often at institutions which do not recognized widely accepted tenants of science, of political science and of liberal arts studies. Whether or not graduated from an institution with a narrow curriculum, the religious leader claims a divine authority. The dictates of national leadership are not subject to question by the membership, and leadership is not subject to the pressures of democratic participation.

Labor Unions do not commonly issue blanket statements for the membership on issues such as abortion or homosexuality. Labor unions to not agitate to get federal funds for day care, head start programs, homeless programs, drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs--which is the burden of proposed "faith-based" initiatives. I know of no example of labor unions calling for the amendent of the constitution because their moral sensibilities have been outraged by the decisions made in any of the several states.

Were there sufficient communists or radical environmentalists in this nation, i would speak out against them for their unquestioning devotion to abstract principles, as i do against the religiously fervent. There are not. I do commonly speak out against the "if you ain't fer us yer agin us" attitudes of the ultra-nationalists among us.

Finally, as i have already noted in responding to SCoates, the only action i advocate is that which i have taken--to speak out. I do not and have not advocated interference in the electoral rights of the religiously devout. I have called for vigilance to assure that the unquestioning adherents of a belief set which does not characterize the majority do not overwhelm the polity as a result of such quirks of the system as a minority presidency.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:10 am
Quote:
t gets a little lonely on the House floor. We need more Christians in Congress; we need more godly people.... Let's bring this nation back to godly values; let's bring this nation back to godly principles."
--Rep. Jo Ann Davis (R-Va.), speaking at the "Road To Victory" convention - Ms. Davis is in need of facts: 491 of the 535 members of the 107th Congress professed a Christian religious affiliation

"They would have us believe that Islam is just as good as Christianity. Christianity was founded by the virgin-born son of God, Jesus Christ. Islam was founded by Muhammad, a demon-possessed pedophile who had 12 wives, the last one of which was a 9-year-old girl. And I will tell you Allah is not Jehovah either. Jehovah's not going to turn you into a terrorist that'll try to bomb people and take the lives of thousands and thousands of people."
--Rev. Jerry Vines, Former President of the Southern Baptist Convention and current pastor of the 25,000-member First Baptist Church of Jacksonville, Fla., June 10, 2002

"For too long, government has attempted to censor expression of religion. Discrimination against religion under the guise of separation of church and state needs to end."
"The Ten Commandments represent the very cornerstone of the values this nation was built upon, and the basis of so much of our legal system here in America."
--U.S. Rep. Robert Aderholt (R -Ala.), March 7, 2002 during the unveiling of the "Ten Commandments Defense Act" - H. R. 3895

"[The bill] does not violate the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. The Ten Commandments do not represent one single religion - in fact they are tenets of Judaism, Islam and Christianity."
--Rep. Robert Aderholt, quoted in press materials released in February 2002

"[W]e would make the argument, the Supreme Court does not always have the final authority over the interpretation of the Constitution."
--Rep. Robert Aderholt

"It couldn't have been because our school systems teach our children that they are nothing but glorified apes who have evolutionized out of some primordial soup of mud, by teaching evolution as fact."
--U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay, commenting after the Columbine massacre

Source
0 Replies

Earl Grey

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:47 am
Setanta wrote:

Earl Grey needs to get a grip.

Maybe it was the wrong place to point out the abuse of all caps, but I stand by my opinion. Grip or no grip. Wink
2 Cents
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:49 am
Had your comment been about text all in caps, i would not only have agreed, i might have been here before you to complain. For titles, i usually put them in all caps, and this is the first complaint i've heard. If you think it shouting for attention, and that disgusts you, perhaps you ought not to frequent threads with such titles.
0 Replies

Sagamore

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:54 am
Bush can rarely explain the rationale behind what he does. He is the opposite of a policy wonk. He doesn't even know who his people are running against in the various states as exemplified by his contact with an Illinois voter wearing an Obama for Senate Button. After recoiling in horror when he thought the woman was wearing an Osama button, he acknowledged that he had never heard of Obama, the next likely senator from Illinois.

So, rather than try to explain what he does not understand, he simply makes the claim that "God wants me to do this." Saves a lot of explaining, doesn't it?

I find his claiming contact with God as well as his total inability to explain himself a bit frightening for a President of the US, don't you?
0 Replies