Most Dangerous Jobs

quinn1

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:04 am
Quote:

5. Firefighter
Whether you're fighting a fire in the forest, killing the flames in a residential area or running into a burning house to save children and animals, there is a reason why women fancy firefighters; they're peaceful and help everyone despite all odds.

4. Miner
American society has shifted from industrial to more service-oriented, so "miner" is less mentioned in such lists. But this does not change anything, as this is one profession that leaves health concerns down the road and takes lives when accidents happen.

3. Truck Driver
Truck drivers are special individuals who live on the road and travel non-stop in their mission to deliver goods worldwide. They have always faced tough road conditions, reckless drivers and sleepless nights, which can all lead to tragic circumstances.

2. Logger
Logging is dangerous year-round, but seasonal danger peaks in late summer and fall as most deaths occur in July, September and October. Many would rank this profession higher, as logging has been a perennial choice in top danger lists.

1. Alaskan Crab Fisherman
Ever wonder why crab is so expensive? Yes, the fact that the meat is rare is one factor, but another important and lesser-known fact is that the men and women who risk their lives fishing the crab in ice-cold waters face the highest on-the-job mortality rate. It's true, it's true.

1. Alaskan Crab Fishermen

Why is the harvest so short?
ex: King Crab 5 days
If the harvest was longer and they were required to rest so many hours per day the fisherman could still pull in a good haul and workplace safety would increase if these guys werent pulling 20-40 hour shifts.

Why dont they wear safety lines?
ex: When they are hauling in pots over the side, why couldnt they hook on somewhere to make it less likely to go into the water?

Why isnt there some way to more quickly, easily and safely remove the ice build up? We've got to have come up with something at this point in technology where a guy doesnt have to be out in below freezing with a hammer to remove ice--even something environmentally friendly I would think.

Is it just me--or are the answers too simple?
I just found it odd that it all operated this way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,533 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
I'm surprised that Shakespearean messenger isn't on the list.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:11 am
I'm also guessing that the cost of research into the solutions, and the resulting technology and maintenence of said technology, would make crab not only more expensive, but probably prohibitively expensive, killing the industry.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:34 am
What if we look at the factor that if the job becomes less hazardous, the product becomes less expensive?

I can understand that the job would be hazardous no matter what you could do I mean, you're a fishing fleet dealing with water and weather in the Bearing Straight-I dont think you can change any of that but, somethings you could do to make it safer, or more reasonable for the men working in the fleet.
So many little things I thought could be easily changed or at least considered that I find it odd really.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:39 am
Man I caught the bull headed crabs once having a quickie at Motel 6...talk about your short harvest....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:17 am
Oh, who among us has not, after a few bottles of Thunderbird, gone "fishin' for crabs" at the local Motel 6?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:20 am
Once you industrialize an industry, it pretty much becomes the property of your suppliers, who jack up the price of their services. Factor that in to the rarity of this particular crop, I can't see it doing anything but driving the price up. Here's another question: Do these fisherman belong to a union and get full benefits?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 08:30 am
I couldnt find anything regarding a Union--just alot of the usual news-alot like the Gloucester fishermen here with regard to buy outs and such.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 06:33 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Man I caught the bull headed crabs once having a quickie at Motel 6...talk about your short harvest....

Omigod! that's funny. thanks for the laugh.

There are tons of jobs out there though that are just plain dangerous and we never think twice about others having to do them, just as long as we don't.

Also think about those nasty jobs we are glad someone else is doing.

Shocked
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 07:30 pm
quinn1,
I wonder about stuff like this, too. Why didn't the workers building skyscrapers back in the 50's use safety lines/nets? (i'm not sure if they do now, or if they have more sophisticated equipment).

My answer is sexist, and probably wrong: Because they're guys and guys think safety is sissy-stuff. Plus they would get paid less if it were less dangerous.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:21 am
bromeliad-you iknow, sometimes its just that safety isnt or wasnt thought of. Regarding the skyscrapers, alot of guys were sissy-boys about it and only those untouched by height aversion or really desperate did it from what I remember reading. Also, a great deal of the workers were American Indians who had no aversion to the work.

Guys are the worst at times though regarding safety.
0 Replies