Couch Potatoes

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:40 pm
EVEN COUCH POTATOES

The concerns of religion are of only marginal significance in TV content compared to secular messages about consumption. Which is of greater value, smelling good or cleansing the soul? Dressing in style or going to heaven? Fear of sexual rejection or fear of God? Television and the cultural order it advertises simply has more appeal than the messages of traditional religion. This emphatically secular vision offers and delivers immediate tangible results; the sacred order’s offer of intangibles, like eternity, comes off a poor second best; its delivery system is far more complex. -Ron Price with thanks to David Marc, Bonfire of the Humanities: Television, Subliteracy and Long-Term Memory Loss, Syracase UP, 1995, p.58.

Is it a question of narrow is the path
and few be the way that find it? One
of those ‘none but a few and even of
these few only the smallest handful’1 issues?
A thing one can’t democratize? For an
elite? Those with the fragrance of
the love of the exalted and glorious
Arabian Youth2, only those can ascend
to the highest heaven? No couch potatoes
here, please; noone untouched by the
grave wonders of His holy revelation.
TV is what we find at the heart of this
darkness, where millions do not read and
are not moved by holy writ of any kind,
have no epic sense of history and care little
about spiritual and aesthetic experience.

Surely, the situation is not that bad?
Worse, no breeze of Faithfulness3 here
from these idle claimants. Even the universe
is darkened with the dust of sin.4 But, we can
all read the book of our own selves, make out
the account and see ourselves as nothing,5 even
couch potatoes, vegetables, the great passive and
banal mass with their bread and circuses: the game
is never up, even after the late-show. Hope springs
up anew tomorrow under the metallic stars,
intractably like a pesky weed that yields its head
but not its root which feeds insatiably on our heart’s
thin soil and insinuates itself through the socket of despair.

Ron Price
5 October 1996

1 Baha’u’llah, Hidden Words, Number 17, Persian.
2 Baha’u’llah, Tablet of the Holy Mariner.
3 idem
4 Baha’u’llah, Fire Tablet.
5 Baha’u’llah, Four Valleys, USA, 1952, pp. 48-9.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,769 • Replies: 13
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:54 pm
What is this garbage? No insult intended, just curious.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:39 am
More Garbage for S Coates?
I've had many students over the years(I taught school for 30 years) who regarded Shakespeare as garbage, even the Bible for millions now is something close to/resembling paper for the tip. So, if someone finds my work garbage too, I know I am in good company. On the other hand, if you forget the poem part(just don't read it) and just read the prose at the beginning you might find something useful/enjoyable. I leave that suggestion to you.

On another hand, it may be best for you just to forget that first piece of mine at this site(TV Section of Able2Know.com) and try this second piece(below). If you don't like it, I would advise that when you see my name above a piece of writing just don't read it. I find there are many writers I simply ignore due to their complexity, their boredom, whatever. All writers have to endure the same reactions from people, even the authors of the the Bible, the Quran and all the holy books--as well as contemporary populist authors. So, SCoates, i wish you happy reading somewhere and if you prefer TV--go for it. Take care. Ron Price, Tasmania.

This prose-poem comes in a special edition for S Coates.....

SEINFELD

There is very little on film or television that moves me to laughter. I am often amused, tickled, impressed by the cleverness of some comedian but, if I watch a whole program I am out of spirits half way through and distinctly disjointed by the last phase of the sequence. As the piece progresses, my laughter becomes mechanical and each chuckle intensifies my ill-at-easeness. At the end of the program I feel flat and empty. I also feel I have wasted my time. -Ron Price with thanks to G.B. Shaw on Oscar Wilde in Bernard Shaw: A Critical View, Nicholas Grene, MacMillan Press, London, 1984, p.4.

Laughter is idiosyncratic, canned,
a commercial product. I feel it inside,
whelling-up, fast, a spontaneous explosion,
frequently in Seinfeld, a program of skits
about nothing, trivia, the spaces in relationships,
self-centered human beings. I dig the absurd,
my laughs and millions of others
in this most popular of programs,
where the energies of comedy
are harnessed, dynamically:
do we understand ourselves in the end?
Society? I create nothing. I invent nothing.
I imagine nothing. I see the drama and laugh
at everyday nothingness.

Can I call these laughs spiritual relaxation?
Filling my pocket full with the most delightful emptiness
and the weight of the day lifts, exploded into thin air.

Ron Price
16 August 1998
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:50 pm
Sorry, Ron, I was just in a contentious mood last night. I don't have anything against your work, I was just stirring up trouble. I'm dumb that way.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 03:56 pm
Erm, I think you write well, but in all honesty, you aren't really saying anything new. Personally, I would criticize advertising on TV before attacking programming. Ads are way more manipulative than sitcoms.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:10 pm
Thanks to Seasoned & Veteran Members: SCoates and cavfan
I hate to think the number of times I've grumbled, been in a bad mood, spoke out of turn, gone over the top slightly or egregiously. I think it's a pretty common human trait. Yours was not too heavy. As the old song says: "He aint heavy; he's my brother." Would it not be wonderful if we could have that attitude at all times. Sometimes, it's obvious, such a generous attitude is not appropriate; for example, when someone comes in to rape my wife. Just wars, etc.,etc.

As far as saying something new, you're right. Oh to be able to say something fresh and shiny each time. Einstein, I think it was, once said that he had one idea that was all his own in his entire life. I live in hope that I may have at least one. At the same time, Einstein, however clever he was, does not give us the last word on this subject of saying something new. See how we do next time. We all keep trying or at least some of us, anyway, eh?-Ron Price, Tasmania.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:14 pm
Sitcoms and most of broadcast TV never made me into a couch potato. A Hi-Def big screen TV and VOOM with 35 channels including an exclusively art channel and Bravo HD may turn me into one. Someone pour me another Merlot and I'll relax and watch the Cezanne/Picasso show on right now.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:24 pm
Re: Thanks to Seasoned & Veteran Members: SCoates and ca
RonPrice wrote:
I hate to think the number of times I've grumbled, been in a bad mood, spoke out of turn, gone over the top slightly or egregiously. I think it's a pretty common human trait. Yours was not too heavy. As the old song says: "He aint heavy; he's my brother." Would it not be wonderful if we could have that attitude at all times. Sometimes, it's obvious, such a generous attitude is not appropriate; for example, when someone comes in to rape my wife. Just wars, etc.,etc.

As far as saying something new, you're right. Oh to be able to say something fresh and shiny each time. Einstein, I think it was, once said that he had one idea that was all his own in his entire life. I live in hope that I may have at least one. At the same time, Einstein, however clever he was, does not give us the last word on this subject of saying something new. See how we do next time. We all keep trying or at least some of us, anyway, eh?-Ron Price, Tasmania.

Just a thought, on the subject of 'saying something new'. I think I was hasty there, as I don't really believe that there are any new ideas, just a rehashing of notions that hopefully lead to a previously unexplored perspective. I might suggest removing the pop culture references, i.e. Sienfeld, and concentrate on your message, which is clearly spiritual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:26 pm
So, like, when i'm zonin' out in front of the teevee with some Nouveau Beaujolais, and a big reefer, does that make me a French Fried Couch Potato?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
So, like, when i'm zonin' out in front of the teevee with some Nouveau Beaujolais, and a big reefer, does that make me a French Fried Couch Potato?

How old is the Nouveau? After a year or so, it starts tasting like crap, but may develop hallucinogenic properties.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:31 pm
Let's hope so, anyway . . .
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:57 pm
An Interesting Array of Comments
I think I'll just sit back, watch a sit com, probably fall asleep in the process. Or perhaps that Civilization series with Kenneth Clark wll be on and I will learn a thing or two. Maybe I'll go for a walk or have an early lunch. Perhaps for a few seconds I might chew over some of the issues raised here. "Perhaps!"

Do you know the story of the King and wise men whose job it was to come up with the wisest word in the English language for the King's most serious consideration. After months of work and pouring over both sacred scriptures and the wisdoms of pop-psychology they concluded their research and presented the word to the King. It was "perhaps." Way down on the list were a host of other words like love, knowledge, et cetera, et cetera.-That's your lot for the day from Tasmania.-Ron
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:07 pm
There is occasional good television. I check it out daily, but usually get up and wander away to do something else. Even most DVDs have that effect on me. I do love Sienfeld. Too bad there will never be new episodes. I discovered an episode of The Outer Limits I had not seen before the other day. It was mostly enjoyable, though with a lame resolution.
0 Replies

RonPrice

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
The Last Word From me On Couch Potatoes
It has been 18 months since I was last here on this subject. I've been on the couch eating my potatoes. We have some fine potatoes in Tasmania and some fine couches. See ya all!-Ron Arrow
0 Replies