Capital Punishment. Will you pull the switch?

BillW

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 12:55 pm
Craven, why would you not want society's sanction - this confuses me?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 01:09 pm
Nevah! c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:09 pm
Because I think it's bad for society. It would make me wrong to kill them without said sanction but I think it should be wrong.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:15 pm
I don't want to kill OBL, I want to paint him in pig phermones and let him run around naked at a wild boar ranch. Death by swine.

Of course, there'd have to be 72 female non-virgins there as onlookers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:25 pm
cjh, Don't know whether you know it or not, but pigs have the longest orgasm. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:43 am
Death by Swine;
Do pigs throw up a lot?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:14 am
It wouldn't surprise me, because of all that slop that they eat. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 04:09 pm

It seems sometimes we come full circle regarding this question. 1st, I believe capital punishment is more human than say 50 years in prison. That said, I couldn't "push the button". I think we should come up with some kind of devise that as the prisoner breaths, it slowly builds up pressure until they cause their own demise!
roger

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 04:19 pm
@BillW,
Almost like suicide, eh Bill?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 04:27 pm
I am glad to see this thread again. Since I posted in it I have become anti death penalty 100%. I am happy to be able to post the correction.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 04:33 pm
While I do believe some people who are pure evil could more easily be killed, I don't believe in it. Think Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, etc. I think spending the rest of their lives behind bars is a better way to punish them.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 05:16 pm
@Mame,
Jeffrey Dahmer was beaten to death by an inmate. He originally did get 15 consecutive life sentences, not the death penalty. Charles Manson was sentenced to death in 1971, but died 40 years later of cardiac arrest in prison.

I am against capital punishment - doesn't solve a thing!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 05:31 pm
The only way I can see myself directly taking someone’s life is if I or someone close to me was being attacked - a kill or be killed situation. Even if I believed in the death penalty (which I don’t), I could never ever “pull the switch” as it were, to execute someone sanctioned for death by the state.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 09:10 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Almost like suicide, eh Bill?

Yeap, keep the moral and penal responsibly on them!
The Anointed

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 09:29 pm
@BillW,
Quote:

I would gladly execute anyone who, with full intent, murders one of my own without good cause.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 04:28 am
My own opinion is that "life in prison without the possibility of parole" is a hundred times more savage and cruel than capital punishment.

That being said, I would not take the job of being an executioner. But I trap spiders in the house and take them outside for release rather than killing them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 05:37 am
Albert Pierrepoint was Britain's most celebrated executioner.

He executed between 400-600 people in his career including many Nazi war criminals.

In the end he became very opposed to the death penalty, and instead tried to take comfort in doing a professional job.

He was professional, he killed very quickly, using the long drop method to break the ncks and kill instantly.

There is a very good biopic of his life starring Timothy Spall.
snood

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 06:49 am
@izzythepush,
I wonder if nightmares factored at all into his change of occupation.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 07:08 am
@snood,
He became a pub landlord.

I think he retired at the standard age, but he required a notoriety that he could not shake off.

Pierrepoint isn't a common name, and both his father and uncle had been hangmen. The name is synonymous with execution.

People went to the pub because he was the landlord, and he was constantly being stopped by people who wanted to shake his hand, mostly because of the Nazi war criminals
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 07:11 am
@snood,
In 1956, Albert Pierrepoint resigned as Britain's Chief Executioner. His decision was triggered by the failure to pay for a scheduled execution.
0 Replies