Capital Punishment. Will you pull the switch?

steissd

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:14 pm
Of course, suicidal bombers cannot be stopped by prospect of being executed in case they are intercepted: they go to die. But the people that send them can be deterred. One of the spiritual leaders of the Hamas terrorist group, Dr. Abed el-Aziz Rantissi does not look like the person that looks for death of himself or his family members. He has prevented recruitment to the suicide bombing activities of his elder son by his own organization, and sent the boy abroad to avoid realization of such a scenario. His location is well-known, but for some political reasons unknown to me, Israeli government and army do not undertake any attempts to bring him to justice.
And even if he is arrested and tried, maximal punishment he may get is life sentence. De facto, it will not last more than 18 years, and he may get loose even earlier, in a year or two, under pressure of the EU.
And we must take into consideration that the so-called VIP prisoners are kept in custody under conditions that can be compared to these in the three star hotel: air-conditioned cell with TV and bath, extremely delicate treatment by the prison personnel, frequent visits of relatives, special menu, etc.
If this ideologist of murder knew that his life is at stake, that he is supposed to wait for a hanger in a hot, stuffy and smelly cell, while being handcuffed, I am sure, he would keep a low profile...
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:15 pm
Joanne: would I pull the switch? Yep! No hesitation.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:39 pm
No hesitations? Not even knowing the fallibility of the courts?
0 Replies

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:42 pm
No hesitation - and I should say that my all-time favourite movie is "12 Angry Men."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 06:02 pm
I can't think why a movie would make you feel so justified.

You haven't explained yourself at all... is there a reason to feel so positive about putting someone to death when there have been several examples of abuse, where men have been executed who are later found innocent.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 08:00 pm
pretty scary
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 08:16 pm
Bib, do you consider yourself a guru of the ENTIRE Bible or just the Old Testament?

Could you please reconcile for some of us here the apparent contradiction between the teachings of Jesus and the administration of the death penalty by the state?
0 Replies

snoopie72

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 08:34 pm
P Diddie....I have always wondered about that as well. I took a class on Moral Issues taught by perhaps the oldest living priest ever. He was the type to tell you your opinion was flat out wrong without really explaining the reasoning behind the Church's doctrine. He told us the only acceptable religious argument against the death penalty is the idea of forgiveness. He didn't seem to have any problem with the idea of taking a life despite the commandment "thou Shalt not kill." Now this statement sounds like I am a pretty religious person which I am not.

I could never in any circumstance pull the switch. I have my MCJ (masters in criminal justice) and have studied the death penalty. In my opinion (which is just that MY opinion) the arguments for it make no sense. It has no deterrent effect and it is administered arbitrarily. Can I say that if someone brutally murdered or raped someone I love that I would want them to live? I don't know having never been in those shoes. I know when I read about Susan Smith killing her children I though a great punishment for her would be to live ther rest of her life locked in a cell with picutres of her kids smiling at her.....
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 04:41 am
The question was, "Will you pull the switch?" not, "explain your reasons why." If you can give me an example, with details, of a case that would be, or has been, subject to the death sentence then I'll give you my answer to that scenario.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 04:43 am
What makes some of you think that because I said I would "pull the switch" that this has somehow something to do with the Bible? - that's a dangerous assumption.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 07:16 am
Bib says: "What makes some of you think that because I said I would "pull the switch" that this has somehow something to do with the Bible? - that's a dangerous assumption."

Er - the fact that you have Bibliophile the Bible Guru as your screen name, and that you appear to be a Christian - which generally seems to have something to do with the bible in some way?

Just off the top of me head like....
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 08:13 am
...of course, how obvious, why didn't I think of that? Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 08:46 am
you being sarcastical loike, Bib?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:08 am
Biblio - No offense was meant by me. Lash provided a poll, yes, but in her first post said this question "merited examination and discussion." I may have seen 12 Angry Men a dozen or so years ago, (or maybe I didn't). It did not leave a vivid impression.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:33 am
DL: quid pro quo
0 Replies

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:35 am
Of course, my quid pro quo is a simple ne quid nimis.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:45 am
What the smeg is a ne quid nimis, when it is at home?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:47 am
It means "in nothing go to far."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:49 am
Hokay.....well, the man tempted me! LOL
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:59 am
Watch it rabbit -- that's got a lot of Bibilical connotations!
0 Replies