What does bait thread even mean?

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 03:46 pm
Why do some threads get labeled bait threads? What is the purpose? And who does it?

Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 04:10 pm
@onevoice,
There's a master baiter that lurks in the shadows.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 04:10 pm
@onevoice,
It is tag spam (and rather rude). Just ignore it.

The term "bait thread" is supposed to mean a thread that is designed to start a contentious discussion... or maybe to trap people in some way. In my opinion this is ridiculous. Anyone can start any discussion they want, and everyone is free to choose to participate or not.

In reality, there are certain opinions that a significant number of people want to prevent being discussed or expressed.

The tag is an attempt to shut down discussion that the in-crowd doesn't approve of.

Just ignore it.
onevoice

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 04:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh... So this is a popularity contest? Seriously? Lol Dang dude... I left the church to get away from that crap! Oh well... I guess people will be people. I am sure I can find another forum that won't hold me under some biased preconceptions to get my questions answered, if it were to come to thatt. But I must see it for myself before I just run off and make any decisions. We shall see! Smile

@ragman
Lol Say what?!
maxdancona

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:05 pm
@onevoice,
Well, I hope you stay around. I have been trying to get the people who want to have interesting discussion with people who have diverse points of view together to stand up to the bullying behaviour.

There are interesting people here. You have to ignore the meanness.

jespah

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:19 pm
@onevoice,
Anybody can tag on A2K. Tag your own topics.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 06:22 pm
@Ragman,
Sometimes he masticates in the kitchen.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 08:34 pm
@neologist,
Oh my God!!! Isent that illegal in new england?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 09:19 pm
My idea of someone baiting me or other people tends to be questions put as accusations that speak of a group of people as all alike, as in one recent thread, why are whites racist; substitute why are blacks criminals; the liberals are (fill in your own word); the conservatives are (fill in your own word).. basically generalizing when people within groups can vary widely, from place to place, from person to person. Thus, the question means for people to defend themselves in some way since they are part of a wide group description.
neologist

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2015 09:28 pm
@RABEL222,
Very bad when lobster is on the menu.
onevoice

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 05:31 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks Max. I'm not going anywhere just yet. Smile I sure hope there are some interesting people here. I have only met a few so far, but I am looking forward to getting more insight from people who would actually like to talk! Lol
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 05:36 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks osso. I appreciate the information. I understand now why my thread was tagged that way, and it certainly wasn't without cause. Even if it wasn't my intention.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 06:42 am
@neologist,
"Very bad when lobster is on the menu."
Oh my... But I would tend to agree! Lol
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 09:22 am
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:
I left the church to get away from that crap!

I thought you left church to pursue your hat fetish.
onevoice

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 09:58 am
@izzythepush,
Well, it was a little bit of both and a whole lot more that's not been mentioned. Lol
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 12:25 pm
It means, the person who tagged your thread doesn't like you or is generally 180 degrees from your opinions. That's it...nothing else...

Unless some members here have the brains of fish who are unable to resist swallowing a shiny, jittery object.

Come to think of it, perhaps the tag is a reasonable warning.
0 Replies