Delusions make the human mind that more amazing

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 07:10 am
People with either delusions of grandeur or the delusional belief in a God or afterlife should not be frowned upon because mental delusions are just one of the many amazing functions of the human mind. I'm sure many atheists admire the beauty of knowing how things scientifically work and such. Therefore, you should acknowledge the fact that anyone with a delusional belief has a beautiful scientific inner working of their minds and you should not frown upon it and convince them otherwise of their beliefs and such. I realize that atheists value the truth that there is no God and afterlife, but you should also value the fact that any attitude or delusional belief a person has is just something scientifically meant for survival. You should not try to change how things work according to science in this specific situation (which means not trying to change this person's beliefs). However, when it comes to the beliefs either causing harm to themselves or anyone else, that's when it's time to intervene. But other than that, if this person's belief just simply brings them personal pleasure in life, then it should not be frowned upon at all and should be acknowledged as an amazing function of his/her mind that makes this person that more amazing. I have delusions of grandeur and I don't have the intention of harming anyone or halting scientific progress.

There are innocent people here just living their own fantasy world not harming others or causing wars and we should just leave these people alone and never tell them the truth of reality as long as they are happy with their fantasies. We should encourage their fantasies to make them even more happy. If your attitude is that we should convince these people otherwise because the more people we have who realize the facts of reality, the more progress we have in science and such, then what if they never wanted to be that way and being that way makes them disappointed and depressed? Not to mention, some people don't even care about science and supporting it--they are just fine living their own innocent happy lives. Therefore, it's not worth it at all to tell them the truth of reality just for the possible sake of getting a more few people here and there to support science when the fact is that science is already being well supported by many people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,584 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:05 am
@MozartLink,
But-- people tend to listen to what they can relate to...so ....unless it's Science good luck convincing anyone( or at least me).
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:18 am
I like the "Militant Atheist Zealot" tag.
0 Replies

MozartLink

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 02:44 pm
@Germlat,
Many people think that those who live in a fantasy world are somehow weak or useless to society, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. I am using my “living in a fantasy world” mindset to compose music. Composing music is something that greatly contributes to society (even pieces of music that have fantasy-like emotion to them since even these types of music are honored by many people whether it just be instrumental or even with lyrics and such). The mindset that I wish to live in a fantasy world is very important to me because I use that in composing music that has beautiful fantasy-like emotion to it and such and I do not want anything in reality to interfere with it. Although there are people who do use inspiration from reality and use that to compose music, I am not this type of person at all. I can use my inspiration from fantasy to achieve greatness and success in life just as good (if not better) than those people who do with inspiration from reality. Therefore, this right here says that my personal delusions of grandeur through fantasy will not have negative consequences and are just as good (if not better) than reality itself. Instead, I will be someone great and perhaps very successful in life through being a composer.
Germlat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:02 pm
@MozartLink,
So what's your delusion Mo?? If it's art sure...ok. But, even then it comes down to taste and connection with the piece. When it comes to ideology it's dicier.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:29 pm
Quote:
MozartLink said: the delusional belief in a God or afterlife

Just a minute chum, when Jesus arrived he said-
"I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....you are of this world, I am not of this world...I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14/ 8:23, Matt 13:35))

so technically we're talking 'alien contact' here, therefore wouldn't we be illogical not to listen to him?
Will you listen Spock?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-vwj.jpg
MozartLink

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Also, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies, this is obviously a survival mechanism.
Germlat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 04:42 pm
@MozartLink,
Pleasure can also be deadly...explain what you mean.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 04:51 pm
@MozartLink,
Adversity can sharpen you . Everything is useful. A person can enjoy maybe even more so after experiencing lack/loss. Grey colors, even black create definition. Seeking only pleasure can make a person miss out on great things.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 11:13 am
@MozartLink,
Delusional people can be very dangerous, as is the practice of accepting delusional thinking in adults.
Germlat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 11:48 am
@rosborne979,
I must say this is his defense ...many great artists were not following convention . The world would be boriiiing without them...
rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:00 pm
@Germlat,
Delusion and Creativity are not the same thing even though one may result in the other. And a delusional artist is probably less dangerous to those around them than a delusional doctor, or a delusional King.

Delusion takes on wide extremes, some mild and some deep...

But more to my point is that the human race has lived, and is living, under the weight of low-level delusional thinking all the time and we have grown to accept it simply because it is so prevalent in the population. A lot of humanity's problems come from pervasive low level delusion. It's time to stop simply accepting delusional thought practices and to push back and try to break the cycle.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:04 pm
Quote:
MozartLink said to me: if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies, this is obviously a survival mechanism.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say mate?
All I know so far is that you place yourself on the side of those who killed Jesus.
The same primitive mentality also earned Klaatu a slug from a .45, shame on you..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/klaatushot2_zps8fb038dd.jpg~original
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 01:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
huem... Romeo, arguing a point using a sci-fi film probably isn't gonna win you any points in this argument Smile
Germlat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:13 pm
@Smileyrius,
Actually...may perfectly prove the point Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:32 pm
@Smileyrius,
That's not the first time he's cited fiction as though it were a valid reference. He will do it again.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 04:48 pm
Guys, guys, remember that ancient eyewitnesses vocabulary contained no words to describe what they were seeing, so they put it in the only words they knew, for example-
"And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it.
As he was destroying, the Lord looked and relented of the disaster, and said to the angel who was destroying, “It is enough; now restrain your hand.”
Then David lifted his eyes and saw the angel of the Lord standing between earth and heaven, having in his hand a drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem" (1 Chron 21:16/16)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dragonstar-space.gif~original
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 05:58 pm
@MozartLink,
You manage to talk in a logical and precise way (and with what seems to me a very good manage of english). But i can stop this uneasy feeling that you are being offensive.

You are not sayng something special or different. It is just the way a normal common well educated tolerant person should think and act upon when confronted with religious individuals. Many atheists i know inmediatedly start a battle everytime they can when they met someone who belives in god.

The problem i think is the way you thought about it. There is a hint of superiority that is a constant on your words. I mean i can´t deny that the concept of god as an entity is a delusion.

You talk to much, say nothing new, and somehow manage to made me want to begin a discusion with you defending my right to my own personal spirituality.

TL;DR: you made me agree with you and at the same time i want to punch you in the face (figuratively).
Germlat

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 06:52 pm
@rosborne979,
Well...when it comes to a profession that impacts the lives of others I agree. But-- there is a place for those who are delusional in art--and as a society we benefit from it. Think--Khalo, O'Keefe, Van Gogh, Warhol....
rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 07:41 pm
@Germlat,
I'm not really worried about a few delusional artists. I'm more concerned with society's behavior as a whole when it continues to accept varying degrees of delusional thinking simply because it's doing no immediate harm. I believe that delusional thinking in and of itself is harmful to humanity in the long run and should be resisted at a slow passive level, rather than accepting it at a slow passive level (as it is now).