Extreme illogic re:guns

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 05:01 pm
Here is a prime example of "logic" from some on the left complaining about guns and violence.
Please someone explain the thought behind this...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20121230/OPINION01/312300033/Kaul-Nation-needs-new-agenda-guns?nclick_check=1

Quote:
• Repeal the Second Amendment, the part about guns anyway. It’s badly written, confusing and more trouble than it’s worth. It offers an absolute right to gun ownership, but it puts it in the context of the need for a “well-regulated militia.” We don’t make our militia bring their own guns to battles. And surely the Founders couldn’t have envisioned weapons like those used in the Newtown shooting when they guaranteed gun rights. Owning a gun should be a privilege, not a right.

• Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.) Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.

• Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.

In the article, this author complains about violence, then promotes violence.
So, if anyone tries what this writer suggests, will it be the writers fault?

And I dont remember the American communist party ever being declared illegal, at least not in my 51 years on earth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,059 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 01:25 am
Perhaps you should contact the author? He would be the best person to explain the alleged logic to you. Unless, of course, this is just a bait thread.
mysteryman

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
Nope, its not a bait thread at all.
I am just trying to understand how someone that complains about the level of violence in this country can now advocate violence against people that have broken no laws nor harmed anyone.

It seems to be a contradiction to me.
Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 04:30 am
@mysteryman,
AS is said, you'd need to ask the person who expressed the sentiment. Asking people here inferentially suggests that people here have the same opinion. It is one that basis that i consider this a bait thread.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 08:51 pm
@Setanta,
Is a bait thread, Set, an OP by a troll and is it a common practice of a bot
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 09:26 pm
@mysteryman,
You do understand that there's a truckload of irony and sarcasm in that quote, mm? I mean, you don't really believe that the author is suggesting that violence be done to a couple of Congressmen, do you? And if that's meant as irony, then you can bet the suggestion of repealing the 2d Amendment and razing NRA HQ are equally sarcastic suggestions. It's sort of like me saying, "We could take care of the terrorist threat by simply killing all the terrorists." It's so silly you'd know I had my tongue in my cheek.
0 Replies