Feeding a Newborn

lucia

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:27 am
Hi,

My grandnephew is 2 months old. Normally babies start having some kind of food at 3 months. Back home outside the States babies are given food at 1 month.

Our doctor has recommended to start feeding the baby with food other than milk at the age of 6 months. What this sound OK to you? Please help. Thank you for your answers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,565 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
Yes, 6 months is exactly right.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:17 am
My doctor said there are no set rules. It depends on when the baby's growth curve begins to plateau, indicating that its nutritional needs are no longer being met by milk alone. That happens at different times for different babies.

I breastfed my son, and his growth was off the chart. (10 lbs., 1 oz. at birth...25 lbs. at 8 mo.) At the time, all the books said to begin solid foods at 4 mo., but my doctor said he clearly didn't need it yet...he was still growing very fast. Only at 7 mo. did his growth begin to slow, so that's when we started him on a little rice cereal. By the time he was 10 months old, he was eating all food groups.

Many parents think their babies are asking for solid food at 3-4 months, when they begin putting everything in their mouths. This is not the case. It's just a developmental phase where they are exploring their world orally. It does not indicate hunger.

Note: It is important to know that once your child begins substituting solid food for some feedings, he/she will not actually be receiving as much nutritional value, so growth will slow. No food is more nutritionally complete than breast milk or formula.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:33 am
The most recent news I've heard is that solids should be introduced between 4 and 6 months.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:54 am
I agree that it depends on the child. I was expecting 4 - 6 months for my second child as with my first, but by the middle of the third month I noticed he was impossible to satisfy with just formula. I started slowly adding a bit of rice cereal to the formula and it made a huge difference in his ability to get quality sleep which is also important for growth. I okayed it with my doctor first and encourage you have his Mom do the same.

BTW, Congrats! I miss having little ones around. They smell so good and are such wonders to watch. Enjoy him!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
Solids at 1 month or 3 can cause major problems. (Allergies are what I remember, I can look up the rest if you'd like.) This is one of those generational things, my mom kept saying "but has she had any FOOD yet??" when my daughter was a baby, and I had to keep explaining that no, she hasn't, and she's not supposed to.

Completely agree with what Eva says about breastmilk.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
Thought: Maybe by "food" the doctor is referring to baby food, not a bit of cereal added to formula. Neither of my two had "baby food" before 6 months, but they were also premies.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 11:15 am
The medical profession these days is very aware of allergies--and preventing allergies.

One swallow doesn't make a summer; one case doesn't make a rule. Still....

Two of my step-grand daughters were born in 1989. They visited the same pediatrician. One daughter-in-law followed his advice exactly on introducing solids. The other pooh-poohed medical opinion because her mother had five kids and knew more than any doctor about raising children.

One grand daughter has asthma. One does not.

This is a very small sample, but all the same, I'd follow the doctor's advice.

Note: The earlier responses mention rice cereal--rice is the least likely of all the grains to trigger an allergy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
It's not just allergies. Introducing solids too early or too late can increase the risk of getting diabetes.

Quote:
Researchers found feeding solid foods around three months of age or at seven months of age and later increased the baby's risk of diabetes.

Dr. David Tejada: "These children hadn't actually developed diabetes, but they had an increased risk of developing diabetes later on in life."

As Chief of Pediatrics at California Pacific Medical Center, Dr. Tejada says there are other reasons to wait.

Dr. Tejada: "There is a risk of food allergies and some other things if you introduce the foods earlier than four months of age." ABC
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 01:15 pm
Wow, I was just about to post this same thread except asking about my 4 month old. :wink:
I have started my little girl on baby food and rice cereal. I noticed that she was able to stop spitting things out of her mouth with her tongue and her appetite was larger. When those things happen maybe you should trya little rice cereal or a TINY amount of really strained baby food and see if the child is able to swallow. That is what I did. I kept trying every few days , at first I started with baby food on the tip of my finger to introduce her to the new texture and flavor, then a little more to see if she could handle it in her mouth. Finally I moved to the baby spoons.
When it comes to allergies though, in all honesty , you never know what your child is allergic to until they eat it. What I would recommend is trying only ONE food first. that way when you introduce another, you can tell if it gives your child a reaction or not. One food a week or two weeks and keep going form there. If there is no reaction on the first food, introduce another, and another.. just keep a reasonable amount of time between so you can see signs of a reaction if there is one.
Starting a baby too soon on foods I think is a bad thing to do. You can tell if a baby isnt ready for solids because babies have a natural reflex to stick thier tongue out to remove foreign objects from thier mouth to keep them from choking. The same will happen with food. When the reaction subsides ( usually between 3-6 months ) then you can start trying solids.
BUT noone knows your baby like you do so always use your best judgement. there is no black and white schedule for feeding your baby.

good luck. Very Happy Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:22 pm
Shewolf, the thing with allergies is not so much that the baby will be allergic to a given food, but that starting food too early can lead to allergies. Like with Noddy's asthma example.

Here's some stuff from the "Ask Dr. Sears" website... this one's on "How to Prevent Allergies":

Quote:
Breastfeed your baby as long as possible. The longer you breastfeed, the less chance your child has of developing allergic diseases, such as eczema and asthma. Breastmilk is rich in an immunoglobulin called secretory IGA, which acts as a protective paint, coating the intestines and keeping food allergens out of the bloodstream. Breastmilk keeps the intestinal lining healthy and better able to break down proteins into individual amino acids. The amino acids themselves are not likely to cause allergies when they get into the bloodstream. Intestines that are damaged due to infection or inflamed by foreign milk or formula may allow whole protein molecules to seep through, setting up an allergic reaction in the bloodstream. To further decrease the risk of developing food allergies, it would be wise for a breastfeeding mother to keep the most allergenic foods out of her diet until her baby is at least one year of age.

Delay introduction of solid foods. Mature intestines are better able to screen out potential allergens and keep them from entering the bloodstream. If you feed your infant solid foods (especially those containing protein, such as wheat, soy, and dairy) before the intestinal lining is mature, food allergens can seep into the bloodstream, causing baby to build up antibodies to those allergens and later become allergic to those foods. When you do start solids, introduce the least allergic (lowest protein) foods first, such as fruits, vegetables, and rice. Wait until at least eighteen months before introducing potentially-allergic foods, such as egg whites, tomatoes, shellfish, and peanut butter . Make citrus fruits the last fruits you introduce. Also, if you're formula-feeding, discuss with your doctor the use of hypoallergenic formulas (a partial whey hydrolyzed formula), such as Alimentum or Nutramigen. Avoid soy formulas . Also, delay introducing cow's milk products until at least a year of age. By twelve months of age, your child's intestines are mature enough to screen out most of the food allergens. (See Starting Solid Foods)

And the Starting Solid Foods part has a TON of good info:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
0 Replies

booklover

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:18 pm
I would agree that three months is too early to start feeding even baby cereal. After that, your mileage may vary from child to child. Like Squinney, I expected that my second child wouldn't start eating until six months like his big sister did. Unfortunately, he hadn't read the baby manuals, and started to demand food earlier. But our doctor insisted that we wait until at least four months, and she is fairly laid back, so I listen when she is insistent.
0 Replies