They've entered … the Gloating Zone

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
Look at the lines at the Michael Moore movie! Look at President Bush's approval rating slip below 50 percent! Listen to the respected Democratic congressman who, when I asked how he thought the election was shaping up, took note of these facts before snapping simply: "It's over."

It's scary but true: Democrats have entered the Gloating Zone. And this is before the convention gives the ticket a bump that will really go to its head.

Yes, Bush is beatable, but this is hardly the same thing as having been beaten.

For most of the country, and especially for that small sliver of Americans who apparently still have an open mind (and who therefore decide who wins), the campaign hasn't even begun.

Candidates always tell their supporters that complacency means death, but in this case it's truer than usual.

Take the economy. John Kerry and John Edwards will still be able to say as November approaches that Bush has the only record of job loss on his watch since Herbert Hoover, but the outlook here is much better than it was a year ago.

With Bush able to claim more than a million new jobs in the last year, things can plausibly be cast as moving "in the right direction."

To insist otherwise lets Bush tar Democrats as dour "pessimists" -- a slur that must poll well or the president wouldn't have adopted it as his stock "the economy stinks" rebuttal.

What's more, the record budget and trade deficits -- the true crippling legacies of Bush's first term -- appear to have no political bite at all. In 1992, Ross Perot made the red ink a national crusade and swung the election to Bill Clinton.

So far Kerry seems to have judged that opening this can of worms -- which might mean talking about the steps needed to address the deficit while also funding his progressive agenda -- requires more candor than he'd like to offer voters just now. As a result, the absence of a Perot-style figure this year means that Bush may pay little price for his mammoth irresponsibility.

Next comes Iraq. Democrats seem to welcome bloody news as proof that Bush's days are numbered. But wherever you stood on the war, this much seems irrefutable: By November, Iraq will have had four months of very brave Iraqi faces running an Iraqi government. Iraqi leaders will be asking U.S. troops to stay. Iraqis will be planning an election a few months hence with United Nations help.

Kerry will rightly say that Bush has followed much of his advice in moving things to this point. But saying you got the president to move faster in the right direction may not seem very compelling when you're standing next to the president who has been doing the actual moving.

When Bush turns to Kerry in the debates and says, "I'm confused -- do you now wish you had voted against ousting Saddam Hussein?" Kerry's answer -- whatever it is -- may play further into the flip-flopper trap that Karl Rove has laid for him at a time when Bush will be arguing for "steadiness" and "conviction."

There's more. Political pros say I'm wrong about its likely impact, but it seems plain that, come fall, we'll see big GOP ad buys that say: "Even as he led a global war on terror, George W. Bush broke the gridlock to add a prescription drug benefit to Medicare and passed a historic education reform with bipartisan support."

I know Democrats have good critiques on all this, but if you're a swing voter in front of your TV, it may still sound pretty good.

I'm not saying Democrats don't have great material with which to frame the debate on their terms. But people who've predicted cakewalks recently have had a habit of facing a comeuppance.

That's why Clinton is right: Kerry should campaign as if Iraq were stable, the economy was humming, and Osama bin Laden has been caught.

At this point, most people have no notion of Kerry's affirmative agenda. Some of this is unfair (and the media's fault) -- Kerry's health plan, for example, is the most interesting and ambitious domestic policy proposal in years, and he's put real money behind it.

But the rest remains a blur. And those other guys are ruthless!

The only sure thing is that this election will be close, and probably ugly. As they head toward their convention, Democrats need to get out the gloat, and fight for every vote.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 749 • Replies: 12
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:55 pm
Nobody will ever hear me gloat. I don't take a Kerry victory for granted in any way. I think this is going to be a close election right to the wire. Anybody...democrat or republican who assumes a sure victory for their candidate is a fool. The Democratic party in Maryland by no means is taking a Kerry victory as a given. We are working very hard here and are fighting to get every vote we can.

No democrats 'welcome bloody news' about the deaths in Iraq. More outrageous rhetoric from the right. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 01:56 pm
Other than the initial "they're gloating" point I think I agree with all of it.

Odd that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:21 pm
Gloating tempts providence.

I hope they aren't.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:27 pm
Bush is not beaten until the last bogus Florida vote is counted. Even then he may not be beaten. Only a week or more after the two conventions fold will we begin to get a true view of how the election is going to end. It may be so close that a last minute surge will place one over the other.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 06:32 am
I'm not gloating because inspite of the movie and other negative things about Bush, I bet he will actually win this time by a small margin. If he don't, then I will be gloating big time in a big way wearing out my carpet dancing a jig and I can't even dance.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
revel wrote:
I'm not gloating because inspite of the movie and other negative things about Bush, I bet he will actually win this time by a small margin. If he don't, then I will be gloating big time in a big way wearing out my carpet dancing a jig and I can't even dance.

If Kerry beats Bush, I'm gonna party like it's 1999!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 02:25 pm
If Kerry loses, I think the democrats would be disappointed but after the last few years, I think we have grown immune to disappointments. If Bush loses on the other hand, can you just imagine how the hard liners of Bush would take it? It will make our little petty complaints since the florida thing seem like we were actually happy about it in comparison.

I imagine that is why if kerry wins, the democrats and anyone else that votes for him and really don't want to win would be so completely estatic if Kerry wins. In other words, if people think we are gloating now, I can't imagine what they will think if Kerry actually wins although I seriously doubt such a thing comes about.

Maybe the reason it may seem like we are gloating is because who would have thought anyone running against Bush in this election after 9/11 would even come close? I thought the whole United States was put on some kind of mind control drug or something.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 02:28 pm
doglover wrote:

Fan of Prince, I assume? :wink:
0 Replies

Hans Goring

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 02:36 pm
The democrats could have started gloating the minute large scale riots occurred in most american states with the declaration of war on Iraq or when predictable ole Bush didn't find his precious (my.....precious.....) Weapons of mass destruction, you could have waved bush good-bye the minute he waved his troops good-bye and as doglover put it "party like 1999" or all prince fans anyway Smile.

-Hans
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 03:11 pm
Not regarding Democrats in particular, but everyone who's opposed Bush's actions so far:

When they've been proven right on so many points, a little gloating is to be expected. Not that its a good thing. Still, not so much of a surprise that the right will find a way to complain about the reactions of the "anti-Bush" crowd instead of shifting that focus to the mind blowing f*ckups of the leader of the free world.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:32 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
doglover wrote:

Fan of Prince, I assume? :wink:

You know it. Cool
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:57 am
Laughing
0 Replies