Help in identifying painter

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:45 am
Painting purchased by my grandfather back in around 1927 from estate sale. Painting has tag behind from Charles Roberson from England. They are apparently where artists of the day, up till 1867, purchased supplies, canvas, paints, etc. no visible signature of artist name.

http://s6.postimg.org/h7nn3si8x/image.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,555 • Replies: 32

Mbshafeena

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:13 pm
@Mbshafeena,
Any ideas who the artist might be? The painting needs some restoration work done, because of age painting has crackling. Will get the other information on tags at back of painting. Difficult to read because of age.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:15 pm
@Mbshafeena,
http://s6.postimg.org/h7nn3si8x/image.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:16 pm
@Mbshafeena,
if you are able to, try to take a straight on pic

it could help with google image searching
Mbshafeena

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Will do. This painting belonged to my father who recently passed. He inherited from his father who purchased it from an estate sale. The mystery of who painted this remains. Will also take pictures of the back. Will also measure. This painting is quite large.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I like it. Well, I would. ehBeth is better at dealing with google images than I am, at least re art (ehB, I need lessons).

Count me as interested in finding out about it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 05:26 pm
Is that a halo around her head?

If this is a painting from the 1800s, this could signify a postmortem portrait.
Mbshafeena

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 05:51 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes, it is a halo.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 05:52 pm
@Mbshafeena,
You two think so? I suppose you know. I get the ring, obscure for whatever reason.
Mbshafeena

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
If you could see it in person it would be clearer but for sure a halo and then of course the palm reed in her hand which leads me to be believe if this is a portrait of someone who lived she would have been a Christian. First thing that came to mind was religious or saint? Given what she is wearing and the jugs she is carrying I was wondering if peasant or servant? She is very pretty and quite endearing. My grandfather apparently bought this painting as he found her so pretty.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:31 pm
@Mbshafeena,
I was a catholic in my youth, but moved away from that so while I'm art keen, I'm not up on saints now. I used to have a thick book about them, but I was probably twelve then.

But that might be a clue - saint with two vases? or other word for vases?
I tried looking on google images and was met with ancient vases galore. I guess I'm lame-o at it.

I've no idea if this is an oil painting or what, but it is still interesting.

What saint in history held vases symbolically? (I dunno)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:40 pm
Maybe George would have an idea (he's our most smart person re latin).

I'll ask..
Mbshafeena

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I am catholic and I should know but.... Yes the painting is an oil painting in need of cleaning and some restoration. We haven't moved the painting from my father's condominium yet. I am going back over there this weekend and get the additional information from the tags on the back of the canvas. I will also take a pic for what it's worth and try and any and all info that may be hiding there and the way the canvas was mounted and the wood used. We may never find out who painted her and that's okay. I am going to have the painting cleaned and restore and keep her in the family to be handed down to my children and grandchildren.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:08 pm
@Mbshafeena,
If you're going to have her cleaned and restored, she'll come out of the frame and you'll likely find the signature at that point.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:20 pm
@Mbshafeena,
Careful re restorers..
better left alone than restored badly. Don't hurry on researching who is going to handle the painting. Look to refs in your general area or further..

I'm not against restoration - I remember walking into a church in Arezzo that was entirely dark except where the restorers were working, I'll presume well. It was exhilarating.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:36 pm
@ossobuco,
That is most likely St. Anastasia.
The palm symbolizes martyrdom.
She is often depicted with a jar as she is said to have helped people who had
been poisoned.
Mbshafeena

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:47 pm
@George,
This is getting interesting! Today I was searching British painters and came across Charles Baxter and when looking at his other paintings, he had an affinity of painting portraits of women and I found that many of the women he portrayed were somewhat similar in look, composition, etc. mmmm. I wonder if it could be ....
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:01 pm
It looks to me like a nice "Grand Tour" souvenir from the 1890's
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 11:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
and bobsal may be right too. He is no art slug.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:12 am
St. Winnifred was a Welsh saint, hence the leek.

http://catholicsaints.info/wp-content/uploads/img-Saint-Winifred.jpg