Foreign Food in Foreign Countries

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
Mrs Hinge and I have a tradition of once or twice while in a country for weeks or months to try their version of foreign food. This is a place to share your stories about whether another country does a foreign cuisine better or worse than your country does that same foreign cuisine.

I'll start!

2006, Tarragona, just south of Barcelona, we decided to see how the Spanish did Chinese. It wasn't bad, but not as 'robust' as the flavours I'd expect in a half decent Chinese meal in Australia. Weirdly the guy delivering takeaway on his motorbike, who was ethnically Chinese, was actually from Australia.

And the steamed rice had peas in it.

roger

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:08 pm
@hingehead,
I tried something called a hamburger while I was stationed in Germany. It was not remarkable in any positive sort of way.
hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:10 pm
@roger,
Do you think they got confused and just thought it meant 'anything from Hamburg'?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:30 pm
@hingehead,
My experience with crazy versions of food happened in North Carolina about 35 years ago. The cook grew up in Johnston County, originally tobacco farming territory. This wasn't a restaurant, it was my Mother-in-Laws home, she served Lasagna made with American Cheese and not a trace of garlic or oregano. Apparently Italian cuisine only appeared in ladies magazine, and ricotta, garlic and oregano were not readily available in the Piggly Wiggly, so slight alterations were in order. The last time I was in Raleigh, they did have a very nice Italian restaurant. Italian food was kind of exotic before the triangle was established,before that it was black eyed peas, fat back and fried chicken.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:42 pm
2010 Bordeaux, France. Let's try the French version of Indian.

Really bad idea - probably our worst experiment.

'Curry' was yellow coloured bechamel. 'Naan' was brioche. Thoroughly flavourless. This was not a cheap restaurant. Indian waiters in 'raj-era' suits and exaquisite decor.

We paid and left it on the table and found somewhere french to eat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:46 pm
I had the best Chinese food in Edinburgh. We kind of just decided we wanted something else. Just walked in and lucky.

Also had fantastic Indian food in a small town in England.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 08:06 pm
@Linkat,
I've only been to three foreign countries, not counting Canada, and that was a long time ago, or Heathrow's waiting room, which didn't count: Mexico, Guatemala, Italy. Haven't eaten other than their foods while there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 08:13 pm
@Linkat,
Not surprised you found good Indian in England, although we did the gauntlet of south Asian restaurants in Brick Lane (east end of London) where the waiters spruik outside to get you in, offering free entrees et al. Wasn't much chop, and they really didn't want to give us the free desert they promised (simply disappeared from the dining area for half an hour) it was really funny - a bit of game really.

Chinese in Scotland though? Interesting. I thought everything in Scotland was deep fried.
roger

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 08:30 pm
@hingehead,
Could be.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 08:42 pm
@hingehead,
Yeah why we opted to try chinese. Was tired of the limited options.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:02 am
@roger,
I had some German food in the USA: the name were similar.

And I had some "original German bratwurst". If a butcher would make it here, we would re-introduce the death penalty.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:08 am
Italian food in New York was almost always a disappointment, but not as costly as the French fare (equally disappointing, most of the times).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 01:50 pm
@hingehead,
Very interesting topic.

I don't think I've ever had as good Chinese food anywhere else as I have had here in the US, but I can't say that everywhere I go, I eat Chinese, but I did in Australia and I maintain my claim.

The Indian food in the UK (specifically London) is far better than what we, generally, can get here, but I did eat at a place in Toronto that rivaled London's Curry Shops, and there a couple of holes in the wall in NYC that are very good.

The tapas I've had, outside of Spain can't compare with those within, but again, I don't think I've sampled them enough in either the US or elsewhere to say who does it best outside of Spain.

Lastly, I've had better French food in the US than in France.

On the flip side, attempts at "American" food in other lands is usually laughable, since it seems that these places all assume that American Food = Steak & Burgers. Since they all overcook the beef it's ridiculous.

I have heard of, but not yet tried, a place in London that serves their version of BBQ which is supposed to be pretty good. The problem is that I don't want to eat at "American" restaurants in foreign lands, and only do so when my hosts feel like it will make me feel at home.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 01:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I've been to several excellent German places here in the US, and you know what? The owner/chefs were all German. So perhaps you missed these or you have something against German Ex-pats.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think that it has to due a lot with ownership but more with the ingredients you use. I might be wrong, though, and just know the different taste here, which I think to be original.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You make a good point, but I tend to think American "artisans" are right up there with their German brethren when it comes to raising pigs and making sausage. We're good learners.
roger

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You should have tried der Weinerschnitzel, if they were still in business. Strangely, they sold something resembling a "frankfurter", and yes, the article was "der", not "das".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, sausages. One of our local butchers (a young girl) is friendly with the owner of a larger family meat and sausages production "factory" (in Milwaukee, if I remember correctly.) He said, our sausages wouldn't have a market in the USA.
And I remember having seen a "German bratwurst" with 68% meat in it. That butcher could close his shop here. (A Bratwurst has 98-99% meat, depending on the region.)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well the protein/fat mix of any sausage is a question of taste. 68% is low by most American standards. Typically the lowest you will find here is 80%.

Of course this is simply a matter of taste rather than anything else because, frankly (no pun intended) a 99% protein bratwurst sound horrible to me, and yet I doubt very many German butchers insist on because of health.

Nothing wrong with some fat.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm with you - the thought of a 98/99% meat bratwurst <shudder>

I want some fat in sausages unless they are a very dry cured sausage that is used for flavouring/cooking, rather than eating.