Foreign Food in Foreign Countries

margo

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 12:07 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I remembered another one! Vietnamese in Tonnere on the Canal du Borgoigne.

Um. Not what we get in Australia. Tame in flavours. Almost like Chinese was in Australia in the 1970s. Edible, but not interesting. Decidedly Asian looking owners and staff. But quiet. I think I found it on Tripadvisor just now and it's closed. Thanh Thanh.

Am I deluded to think we get pretty good/authentic vietnamese in Australia?

This pretty much echoes my experience in France.

Not all Vietnamese food (my favourite cuisine) in Australia is good. There are some pretty crook places around. You have to look for good ones.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 12:22 pm
@margo,
The saying in Toronto in the 1980's was that Vietnamese food is Chinese food improved by the French.

Vietnamese takes on French pastries in particular ... super yum. Vietnamese Banh Mi buns are pretty much demi-baguette taken to the most perfect degree.

I guess I should have taken you to one of our Vietnamese neighbourhoods for a nosh. Next time eh Cool
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 12:58 pm
@ehBeth,
In the eastern German states, the Vietnamese food differs a lot from what we get here: here, it's dominated by former boat refugees and their children; in the East, the Vietnamese originally came from North Vietnam.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 01:43 pm
Every once in a while, the girl brings home sub sammiches from the Vietnamese bakery--they are fantastic.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 02:01 am
@ehBeth,
I'll eat most things - but I love Vietnamese food!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2015 05:12 am
@margo,
By pure change, I've seen yesterday a tv-report: Vietnamese, who came here as boat people (to the West) met Vietnamese who arrived in the GDR as "guest workers". Both families run restaurant now.

The tenor:
- those from the North say, the people in the South can't cook because they add sugar to everything.
The southern Vietnamese said that the North can't cook, it's tasteless food there and they would add dill to everything.

Both agreed that the Central Vietnam food is even more different.
(My only experience is with the differences between (the original) Pho Hanoi and what here at us is served as Pho.)
hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 06:59 pm
I remember doing North African (Algerian?) in Paris in 2006. In Montmartre, such a huge north African community in France though, and at the time couscous was a huge culinary trend there, so a funny sort of foreign. It was good.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:04 pm
London 2012

We did a Yum Cha in their chinatown (aka Dim Sum). Was pretty good. Equivalent to what I've had in Australia and Hong Kong.

Also did 'portuguese' at The Corner Room (Nuno Mendes side project when he's not being a celebrity chef) http://townhallhotel.com/cornerroom/

Well it wasn't exactly traditional Portuguese but it was a great meal where we were befriended two very chatty and amusing Irish sisters who had been separated very young and had reunited much (decades) later. Weirdly I had probably crossed paths with one who had been a librarian at LaTrobe University in Victoria.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Our Vietnamese chef friend's food wasn't sweet; they were from Saigon, though the family was originally (way before he was born, I think) Chinese. Well, some desserts were sweet, but we rarely had dessert.They were boat people, mother had taught him to cook; he opened his own restaurant in Hollywood, which we heard about from a Vietnamese student in our lab, it being her parents favorite vietnamese place in the LA area.

Anyway, LA was a foreign place to him, but not us, so it doesn't quite fit in this thread. I was just interested in hearing you folks talk about north south differences.
In Albuqueque, I found the Vietnamese cooks putting ginger in seemingly everything, aaaack. I like ginger, but not all the time.
0 Replies

benloy25

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 06:08 am
I am always confused related too food , While traveling another city , I have face to many difficulties to choosing the best food for eating .
0 Replies

jacksondisuja

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 02:39 am
Americans are consuming less fast food and causing chains like McDonald's, Burger King and KFC to ramp up their international expansion.Restaurants have had to come up with some pretty creative menu offerings to cater to local tastes.We reviewed the menus overseas for a handful of the world's top fast food chains, and compiled some of our favorites. Too bad you can't find them on menus in the U.S.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 10:53 am
@jacksondisuja,
@jacksondisuja,
Plagerism direct to you from jacksondisuja:

he or she copied this:
http://www.businessinsider.com/fast-food-from-around-the-world-2014-4

quoting the link -

Americans are consuming less fast food and causing chains like McDonald's, Burger King and KFC to ramp up their international expansion.

Restaurants have had to come up with some pretty creative menu offerings to cater to local tastes.

We reviewed the menus overseas for a handful of the world's top fast food chains, and compiled some of our favorites. Too bad you can't find them on menus in the U.S.
jacksondisuja

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:10 am
Americans are consuming less fast food and causing chains like McDonald's, Burger King and KFC to ramp up their international expansion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 03:15 am
@ossobuco,
The word you wanted was plagiarism. Jacksondisuja is very likely a content bot, and electronic robot only capable of copying content from one location and pasting it somewhere else.
0 Replies