If we could double the avg lifespan for people, should we?

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:43 am
Reading the article about worms and the aging process, the thought occurs whether we should be messing around with that sort of thing. Have over 7 billion people on the planet now. And this is only due to using oil for energy. But we already see the negative effects from so many people and should probably only have 2 or 3 billion to avoid overcrowding, over consumption of resources, etc.

But if we could double the lifespan to say 150 years, should we?

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:51 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I think I would be more in favor of improving the quality of life further into old age. If the first 80 years were of as high quality as the first 40 are today that would be a bigger win than making the length longer.
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:58 am
@engineer,
Presumedly, if we're doubling our lifespan it's not simply extending the time we're wrinkled and decrepid. So we're 'reproductive age' twice as long, working twice as long, menopause occuring double what it typically does, etc.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 07:58 am
What are you talking about. We already have doubled our average lifespan. In the past 100 years our life expectancy has literally doubled.

Personally I think this is a good thing.
0 Replies