'Doonesbury' Artist Trudeau Skewers Bush

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
'Doonesbury' Artist Trudeau Skewers Bush
Thursday July 15, 2004 2:31 AM

NEW YORK (AP) - Cartoonist Garry Trudeau, who has skewered politicians for decades in his comic strip ``Doonesbury,'' tells Rolling Stone magazine he remembers Yale classmate George W. Bush as ``just another sarcastic preppy who gave people nicknames and arranged for keg deliveries.''

Trudeau attended Yale University with Bush in the late 1960s and served with him on a dormitory social committee.

``Even then he had clearly awesome social skills,'' Trudeau said. ``He could also make you feel extremely uncomfortable ... He was extremely skilled at controlling people and outcomes in that way. Little bits of perfectly placed humiliation.''

Trudeau said he penned his very first cartoon to illustrate an article in the Yale Daily News on Bush and allegations that his fraternity, DKE, had hazed incoming pledges by branding them with an iron.

The article in the campus paper prompted The New York Times to interview Bush, who was a senior that year. Trudeau recalled that Bush told the Times ``it was just a coat hanger, and ... it didn't hurt any more than a cigarette burn.''

``It does put one in mind of what his views on torture might be today,'' Trudeau said.

Having mocked presidents of both parties in the ``Doonesbury'' strip since 1971, Trudeau said Bush has been, ``tragically, the best target'' he's worked with yet.

``Bush has created more harm to this country's standing and security than any president in history,'' Trudeau said. ``What a shame the world has to suffer the consequences of Dubya not getting enough approval from Dad.''
--------------------------------------------
Rolling Stone was publishing the interview Friday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,020 • Replies: 12
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:17 pm
yowza - what a trip it must be for Trudeau to see Bush in the presidency.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:23 pm
and i find doonesberry kinda pompous. Now Ill make an exception and listen to Trudeau "ex cathedra"
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:30 pm
Bravo to Trudeau! I'm sure dad was proud when his boy became President. So what if the election was bought with family money!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:47 pm
We have the best government money can buy . . . gosh darn it, now i think i'm gonna cry . . .
0 Replies

Hans Goring

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
Lol.......................................

-Hans
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:07 pm
This whole election process in the US is really screwed up when the better candidates gets moved aside for the mediocre.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:15 am
[quote]``Even then he had clearly awesome social skills,'' Trudeau said. ``He could also make you feel extremely uncomfortable ... He was extremely skilled at controlling people and outcomes in that way. Little bits of perfectly placed humiliation.''

Trudeau said he penned his very first cartoon to illustrate an article in the Yale Daily News on Bush and allegations that his fraternity, DKE, had hazed incoming pledges by branding them with an iron.

The article in the campus paper prompted The New York Times to interview Bush, who was a senior that year. Trudeau recalled that Bush told the Times ``it was just a coat hanger, and ... it didn't hurt any more than a cigarette burn.''

``It does put one in mind of what his views on torture might be today,'' Trudeau said.[/quote]

[quote]This whole election process in the US is really screwed up when the better candidates gets moved aside for the mediocre. [/quote]

I am beginning to think that has been the whole US's problem since Bush has taken office. We have repeatedly underestimated just how horrible he is and put him down as a harmless moma's boy always trying to measure up to his dad or something.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 03:47 pm
One more thing about Trudeau - he doesn't actually draw the strip. He sipplies the dialogue and layout as a ghost artist in Philadelphia does the actual artwork. Just so you know.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:33 pm
Nick
Nick, you owe Gary an apology. Here are the facts about how the strip is produced from Gary's FAQ site. ---BBB

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/faqs/faq_cs.html

Q: I've heard that GBT no longer draws Doonesbury. True?

A: False. The strip is currently being produced the same way it has been for over 26 years. Trudeau writes the strip alone, and then does tight pencil drawings. The drawings are then either shipped or faxed to his assistant Don Carlton, who traces over Trudeau's finished drawings in ink. The rumor that Trudeau no longer draws the strip was started by Entertainment Weekly. When the magazine subsequently learned that the writer of the piece had wildly exaggerated Carlton's role, it printed a retraction and apology. By then, of course, the damage had been done, proving once again that a lie does indeed circumnavigate the globe before the truth can get its pants on. The irony of the episode was that after years of being blamed for the artwork in Doonesbury, Trudeau suddenly found himself unable to get credit for it.

Q: When a computer shows up in the strip it is usually a Mac. Does Trudeau compose cartoons directly on a Mac? Or does he use old-fashioned pencils?
-- H.R.H. Jock Yellot, Charlottesville, VA

A: Trudeau uses a new-fashioned, .5 mm automatic pencil to draw the strip. His tight drawings are then inked in by longtime assistant Don Carlton. Sundays are scanned and colored using Photoshop on a Mac.

Q: Should an assistant on the strip, such as Doonesbury's Don Carlton, get co-creator credit?

A: Traditionally, many comic strip artists from Walt Kelly to Mort Walker have employed assistants, but since their contributions--invaluable as they may be--are largely technical in nature, assistants are not considered creators. The creator of the comic strip is the person who writes the strip and draws the art. Usually, those roles are combined by the same person, but some strips, like The Wizard of Id, have two creators. The assistant who provides technical support, whether as inker or editor or researcher, is not regarded as a creator, because he or she is not actually involved in the task of imagining the content or look of the strip.

Q: In its earliest years, the strip was dissed by many cartoonists for being graphically static. The cruel joke was that GBT drew one panel, photocopied it three times, then added dialogue. Nowadays the strip abounds in the use of silhouettes, shifting 'camera angles,' and other cool 'toon techniques. Any truth to the rumor that during his '80s sabbatical, GBT spent a lot of time woodshedding, developing his chops?
--Stephen H., Charlottesville, VA

A: None. In its early incarnation, Doonesbury was given a deliberately static style--the idea being that this would keep the focus on ideas, not artwork (an emphasis pioneered by a strong influence, Jules Feiffer). Each panel was, in fact, drawn separately, and no photocopies were used, except on one Sunday strip in the mid '70s. The downside of this approach, of course, was tedium at the drawing board. There was no re-tooling of style during the sabbatical, but a few years after his return, GBT finally got fed up and transitioned into a more conventional multiple-perspective format.

Q: I would like to know if GBT makes sure there is always a distinct change in the artwork within each strip. I don't know when I first noticed this trend, but I have been able to find it every time I come across the strip. Is this a secret habit GBT has--to always have one small change in the drawing of the strip?
--Kyle A., Columbus, OH

A: The tiny changes in the artwork were initially introduced as a way to relieve the monotony of four repeating panels. After GBT switched to a more traditional multi-perspective format in the late '80s, the device was abandoned. Any inconsistencies in the artwork in recent years are the result of pure sloppiness.

Q: When did GBT first use Zipatone to add grays to the artwork? Is he now using a digital equivalent?
--Peter C., Woodberry Forest, VA

A: The first Zipatone screen showed up in 1972. For the following year and a half, the Zipatone was usually a diagonal line pattern intended to mimic the original hand-drawn shading technique. In early 1974, the screen that is still in use was introduced. Since then there has been only one other screen added -- the gradated pattern, used first in late 1988. The screens are not applied digitally.

Q: Will GBT ever draw the strip on a computer?

A: No. The feel of graphite on 100% rag paper is too sensuous to forswear for the sake of modernity.

Q: Do you draw the White House all over again each time you use it, or do you recycle old pictures? How long does it take to draw a White House panel?
-- Stan Beck, Knoxville, TN

A: Each White House view -- indeed, each panel of Doonesbury -- is an original. The length of time it takes to draw one varies, depending on the level of detail involved, GBT's caffeine intake, and whether or not he's distracted by Letterman.

Q: Is it just me, or does the artwork look subtly different now? Are you trying something new? It looks pretty cool.
-- Kris Verdeyen, Houston, Texas

A: Thanks for noticing. The line artwork hasn't changed, but the Sundays are no longer colorized using traditional methods (assigning colors from a chart and letting the printer fill them in). Beginning with the 12/9/01 strip we now use Photoshop on a Mac to create subtle and elegant palettes, using "dirty" colors and more gradations. Going digital also allows us to work outside the boundaries of the black line (note the vapor exhalations on 12-23), and change some of the black line art to color to create a more 3-D effect (see 12-16). New colormaster is Design Monster's George Corsillo, longtime special projects collaborator, who last worked with GBT on the "Doonesbury@Starbucks" literacy project.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
More political censorship; Doonesbury dropped
Continental: Complaints Led to Drop-'Doonesbury' Poll
By Dave Astor
Editors and Publishers
Published: July 21, 2004
NEW YORK

A poll that resulted in a vote to drop "Doonesbury" was defended by the head of a Sunday-comics consortium. The 38 papers running the package from Salisbury, N.C.-based Continental are predominately located in the Southeast.

"It was not a political statement of any kind," Continental Features President Van Wilkerson told E&P. "I personally don't have an opinion about 'Doonesbury' one way or another."

Wilkerson said he conducted the survey because Garry Trudeau's comic "created more controversy than other strips." In the poll e-mail he sent Continental's newspaper clients this spring, Wilkerson wrote: "(I)t is my feeling that a change in one of the features is required. I have fielded numerous complaints about 'Doonesbury' in the past and feel it is time to drop this feature and add another in its place. ... If the majority of the group favors a replacement, you will be expected to accept that change."

Of the 38 papers that run the Continental-produced Sunday comics section, 21 wanted to drop "Doonesbury," 15 wanted to keep it, and two had no opinion or preference. "I wouldn't call the vote [to drop 'Doonesbury'] overwhelming, but it was a majority opinion," Wilkerson said.

One of the 15 papers, The Anniston (Ala.) Star (Click for QuikCap), expressed public dismay with the vote yesterday -- saying the decision amounted to censorship. In an E&P interview after that article appeared, Star Executive Editor Troy Turner said: "Sure, 'Doonesbury' causes editors headaches from time to time, but there is a proven readership for it. Newspapers need to think of readers first, or they will continue to struggle."

Turner added that he doesn't recall Continental doing polls about any of the other 22 comics in its package; "Doonesbury" was singled out. Wilkerson acknowledged that the survey was out of the norm.

The Continental head said he doesn't know exactly when "Doonesbury" will leave the package; he's currently polling clients to see if they want to replace it with "Agnes," "Get Fuzzy," "Pickles," "Zits," or another comic.

If Continental does pull "Doonesbury" from the package, "we will find a way to run it in the Sunday paper," said Star Editorial Page Editor Bob Davis. He noted that the Star already publishes the daily "Doonesbury" in an unusual locale: the back page of the "A" section.

As previously reported, Star Publisher H. Brandt Ayers e-mailed Wilkerson to say he and his paper's editors "strongly object to an obviously political effort to silence a minority point of view. For years, my New Deal father bore the opposition views of Orphan Annie and Daddy Warbucks, and I believe he would have fought an effort to silence them a by a simple majority vote. This is wrong, offensive to First Amendment freedoms."

"Doonesbury" -- which appears in more than 1,400 papers via Universal Press Syndicate -- has made a lot of news this year with strong criticism of President Bush and the Iraq war. In one sequence, Trudeau offered $10,000 to anyone who could prove Bush served in the Alabama National Guard. And, in an ongoing story line, the B.D. character lost a leg in Iraq and is dealing with the aftermath of that devastating injury.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:50 pm
I guess I was mistaken BBB but I still don't owe Trudeau an apology as I never said anything to him nor will anything on A2K ever cross his desk or his mind. It is YOU I owe the apology to.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 12:08 am
Nick
Nick, don't you wish newspaper owners and editors had more guts to resist attempted censorship in today's dangerous environment? At least the Star has integrity.

BBB
0 Replies