Terrorism Threat at All Time High Yet We're Safer?

Earl Grey

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:15 am
@rabel22
But wasn't the torture of prisoners in Abu Ghraib brought up by a US news agency?
Increased, diversified and independent news coverage in nations around the world increase awareness also inside USA (internet and satellite TV), so unless the US government manage to increase censorship - and even then - the facts will become clear to more and more. Especially with the current very aggressive US government which only serve to fuel the flames and increase media and public interest.

Lies and double talk can be more or less difficult to see through.
One example is the sign "Honor Bound to Defend Freedom" outside a base which unlawfully has held many hundreds of people prisoner for years. It instantly made me think of another sign which said "Arbeit Macht Frei".
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:08 am
There are many ways to enable censorship. One of the ways thathit is done here in the US is by letting a small group of people gain control of the majority of the media so they can give the same news in lock step. My own local newspaper has very little world news and politicle news in favor of local news,
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 07:46 pm
I am so tired of the hysteria over terrorism that is taking over people's lives.

Here's a list of how many people die annually from various causes in US:

Tobacco 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 400,000
Alcohol 85,000 / 101,653
Microbial Agents 75,000
Toxic Agents 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes 43,000 / 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000
Suicide 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000
Homicide 20,308
Sexual Behaviors 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,600

How many died in 9/11? Less than 4,000?

Lets face it, way more Americans will die this year from being fat, drunk, and smoking than from terrorism. Why aren't we more afraid of being fat? Why not more fear on the roadway? Come one, we gotta fear this stuff, people!

I know, lets stay inside, not exercise, have a big dinner, smoke a cigar, get drunk, and watch the latest on the Fox News terrorism report.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 09:44 pm
That'll be fine, as long as you keep to your regular schedule of consuming to keep that great economy purring! A good economy might keep the terrorists at bay. Remember, the president wants us to shop and spend!
I saw that too, BP. Real secure, we are. And how the hell do they get away with this? If more people paid attention, I don't believe they could. It is beginning to seem that many of our countrymen are easily misled only because they don't bother to pay attention and want the government to take care of them. Talk about "blind" faith.
0 Replies