remembering Paola

Vincent

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:26 pm
Dear Friends

Some of you may still remember the many entertaining, lively discussions we had with Paola, first on Abuzz, then later here. Her interests were varied, but if the subject involved finding an obscure recipe, tips on her home towns of Rome or New York, or proper use of language, she would more likely than not join in and have her say. She was very welcoming to newcomers, and never shied away from a good debate. She enlightened many of us, generously sharing her experience and culture.

I am saddened to say that Paola passed away yesterday. She had been ill for several months. When I last saw her in New York two weeks ago, she was very weak, but full of spirit to the very end. As her husband put it, "she was serene at her death".

If you would like me to forward any messages to her family, please feel free to post them here or e-mail me directly and I will make sure that the messages are delivered.

Vincent
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,841 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:19 pm
Vincent, sad news indeed. I have been off Abuzz for so long, the conversations are a distant memory. However, please feel free to send my condolences, from cavfancier (Paul). I haven't changed my net name. There is some comfort in the fact that she was so strong, to the end. That is virtue personified.

I hope to see you here more as well, in the food and drink forums. I miss our foodie discussions. Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
Posted on A*** already, so I just can say again, how sad I feel.

Well, and, yes Vincent, I'd like to discuss here with you, too - cav's just such a hamburger smith...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:59 am
Sorry to hear this, Vincent. I knew she was ailing. I hope that her last months were spent peacefully enjoying her family. This aging nonsense would be much easier to bear without health issues.

Please offer my sincere regards to her husband and her family. She was a wonderful source of information about Italy, Europe, New York and her own refined life. Wow... it was great to read her as she talked about restaurants and touring. She had the taste and flair of some of the best writers on food and continental life, I thought. It's sad to know she's gone.

I appreciate your coming here to tell us. Thanks.
pfkflyer
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
Paola L., I pressume.

The idea of her death is hard to swallow. Very sad.

A smile grew on my face every time I noticed she entered an interaction.

She was one of the best assets in the Travel and People and Culture forums in Abuzz.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
My condolences to her family.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:47 pm
I knew Paola well, loved her. I know that sounds exaggerated but the substance is true. How well, oh, I only met her a few times over a week's time when I was in New York last year, but we had communicated a lot. (We met at the Metropolitan Museum, she let me in as one of her membership visitors, and we sat in the empty cafe and talked and talked.)

I stopped emailing her when she stopped and didn't want to bother her or her family, which I knew was close, with myself, a distant online friend.

I mourn her. She was elegant, generous, wise.

I smile to remember she and I first started talking on abuzz, on a thread where she and I tended to agree in opposition to GWLightwizard's point of view about a Richard Meier design for the Ara Pacis in Rome. A good disagreement, as I like him too. But that was where we first started emailing about Rome and ourselves.

To her family - she talked well if not at great length about her family. She sent me pictures, Vincent, with she and her husband meeting you. I smiled to get them.
She sent me a photo she took in Erice and I did a not yet finished painting of it. She saw the photo. I almost sent the painting to her, but, again didn't want to intrude. It's theirs if they would like it. And I understand if not.

Thank you for letting us know, Vincent.

(I miss you, by the way...)

Jo
known as Osso
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
Not the best news to start the morning as Paola had a great knowledge of art and I valued his opinion. I will miss his learned and entertaining writing.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 08:16 am
Sorry to hear the sad news. I have a vague memory of her from abuzz but it is a fond memory.

Vincent - good to see you here. I hope visit again!

KP
0 Replies