A God That Makes Sense?

onevoice

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:06 am
@FBM,
Call it what you wish. That doesn't change what it really is. Smile Remember... Things are rarely as they appear.

Bwaaaahahaha!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:07 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

You're missing the whole point of the thread FBM. You are free to postulate any God you like and give him any characteristics you like as long as he makes sense. He doesn't have to have any connection to the bible or anyone's interpretation of it. He doesn't need any religious affiliation.

"A God That Makes Sense" is a god that has evidence to support its existence. Without evidence, it makes no sense, except as mythology or a study on human gullibility, that sort of thing. Cough up some evidence, please, or you fall into one of those categories.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:09 am
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:

Quote:
Well, that explains...nothing.

Nope. Sure doesn't. Perhaps because I wasn't trying to. Wink

I cannot prove anything to you or anyone else. It is a foolish ladder to try and drag someone up. God on the other hand... His timing is always perfect. So... I will wait. Smile

So you got nothing. Thanks for admitting as much.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:10 am
@FBM,
An overuse of emoticons does not usually indicate sound judgement.
FBM

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Yup. Rhetoric in lieu of logic. Sad, but oh, so common.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:12 am
@FBM,

Wink
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:14 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Smile Neither does judging things you don't understand.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:30 am
@onevoice,
That's another example of charlatanism, we poor unenlightened slobs just don't understand. Squeaky does it all the time.

I suppose asking you to explain just what it is we don't understand would be a waste of time, vague unsubstantiated nonsense beats facts and evidence any time.
Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:49 am
@Leadfoot,
Jealousy has to do with one's concern about one's self; it's a self interest thing. It has nothing to do with the well being of another. It is an emotion based on fear for the self. It is selfish.
Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:56 am
@Leadfoot,
Though God does not have to have any connection to the Bible, it is likely that your conception of God originated from the Bible. You refer to God as him. Where did you acquire this assumption?
Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:07 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Isn't it obvious that EVERYTHING is on a voluntary basis with God?

Is there any penalty for choosing to not believe in this God?
onevoice

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:14 am
@izzythepush,
I don't owe you a thing Izzy. Neither does God. Yet, He still freely gives. You cannot grasp your future while you are still holding on to your past.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:30 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Jealousy has to do with one's concern about one's self; it's a self interest thing. It has nothing to do with the well being of another. It is an emotion based on fear for the self. It is selfish.

Not perfect, but an analogy to God's jealousy not rooted in selfishness would be like a mother or father seeing their daughter or son dating a phony sleaze bag. The emotion concern they feel is not one of personal loss or gain but the well being of their child.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:42 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Though God does not have to have any connection to the Bible, it is likely that your conception of God originated from the Bible. You refer to God as him. Where did you acquire this assumption?

FWIW, I had no initial exposure to the bible or religion when I first became convinced of God's existence. Only later when my differences with organized religions became apparent did I start reading the bible to confirm what they were saying. I expected to find that what they said was true, why would they lie? No one was more surprised than I when I found that the bible story bore almost no resemblance to what religions claimed.

As far as the 'him' thing, I honestly don't know. I probably heard some TV preacher use it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where I first heard the term 'God'. Probably something similar. But now after the fact, 'Father' just 'feels' right. I have no explaination for that but I never thought the gender thing mattered at all.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:51 am
But is there any penalty for choosing to not believe in this God?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:56 am
@Glennn,
Quote:

Is there any penalty for choosing to not believe in this God?

Depends on how you look at it. From the atheist perspective there is none at all. The atheist will die just exactly as he/she expected. Nothing lost or gained. If the bible is correct and the atheist does experience the fact that they were wrong about God they would probably experience a moment of great loss.

Having said that, I don't know what a 'passing grade' here is. I know several atheists who recognize the nature that God gave us and follow it even though they don't recognize the source. Is following that nature recognition enough? IDK. For a God that makes sense it might. There is talk in the bible of a period after Christ returns that all who made at least the 'minimum grade' get a chance to see and accept the whole reality.
Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:03 am
@Leadfoot,
If death is the end, then there would be no opportunity to experience a moment of great loss. Oblivion is nothingness.
Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:07 am
I guess the question I'm asking is whether or not the Bible contains anything concerning a punishment for choosing to not believe in this God.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:12 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
If death is the end, then there would be no opportunity to experience a moment of great loss. Oblivion is nothingness.

Again, I have only the bible to give me a clue about that. It says the death of our body is only sleep which is also oblivion but not permanent. After the return of Christ and the resurrection of all the 'dead', they get the chance to see the reality of this whole scenario before real death. I would think that moment before death would be a real 'Oh ****' occasion, if only briefly.
Glennn

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 11:16 am
@Leadfoot,
So, the Bible does not support the idea that there is a place of eternal torture for those who did not believe in this God.