A God That Makes Sense?

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:20 pm
@onevoice,
Me? Over think things too? :-) You bet, sometimes I wish I could quit.

from onevoice:
Quote:

I was 19 years old when I discovered love is real. Through one beautiful young woman, who chose to look beyond the ball of mess exterior of mine, and find some value that no one else could see, or was even looking for... In me.

Guess I was lucky. I knew it was real at 6 but had to wait longer to meet someone to see through my crusty exterior.

Wait, now I'm not sure which one of us was lucky :-)
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:35 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
A first loop would indicate a finite god, that beckons the question who or what created or initiated god?

I think a lot of the reluctance people have to contemplating God is the assumption that he is all powerful and infinite. That leads to all kinds of useless navel gazing questions like:
'Can an all powerful God create a stone too big for him to lift?'

The term 'infinite God' is a dead end for us. I'd rather have a God that just makes sense. A God able to make the universe and us is powerful enough for me!
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
You'd love that, wouldn't you. I ask you questions or make statements that make you uncomfortable, and you call it sniping. I'm here for the long haul, though, so you're out of luck.
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Me? Over think things too? :-) You bet, sometimes I wish I could quit.

Lol! ME TOO!

Quote:
Guess I was lucky. I knew it was real at 6 but had to wait longer to meet someone to see through my crusty exterior.

Wait, now I'm not sure which one of us was lucky :-)

We both were. Smile I prefer to call it a divine appointment rather than luck though. Very Happy
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
I agree. A human's idea of what constitutes all-powerful is limited to the scope of a three dimensional being which caters to the illusions of the human ego.

Having said that, I do believe that an all-powerful God can make a rock so big that even he can't lift it. But he would never do such a thing because from that moment on, he would live in fear of returning to that rock one day, only to discover that that rock has been moved. Laughing
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:21 pm
@Glennn,
Oh my... What a tangled web we weave sometimes... Lol Why is it we must weave a web... When the truth is so simple? So simple it is easily missed.
Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:38 pm
@onevoice,
Once, someone asked me who I was. I said, "I'm an illusionary manifestation of your mind's attempt to separate itself from itself."

There is just as good a chance that I'm right about that as there is that I'm wrong about it. But therein lies the fun.
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:41 pm
@Glennn,
Ahhh... I see... You have spent your life weaving a web to distract others from seeing what you don't understand about yourself... Got it. Smile
Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:46 pm
@onevoice,
Yes, there were so many webs to choose from, so I created my own so as not to be redundant. I should hope that others would find it somewhat refreshing. But then again, how much refreshment can one procure from an illusion?
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:47 pm
@Glennn,
I know right. Good thing God is not actually an illusion. Smile
Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:56 pm
@onevoice,
Our evolving relationship with a God is actually the evolution of our relationship with our self. Maybe the story of God in the Bible is a metaphor for the story of our own growth. Like how God is depicted as a jealous (insecure) being who demands praise and worship. That's basically the qualities of a two-year old. So God started out as a souped up version of the human male ego. He didn't like his creation, and so he drowned it like a rat. That's akin to a claymaster who doesn't like what came from his own hands, and so blames the clay for falling short of his expectations.

Just a thought . . .
neologist

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:01 pm
@Glennn,
How do you conclude that jealousy is a negative trait?
If someone makes a pass at my wife, do I not have a right to be jealous?
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:01 pm
@Glennn,
Oh Glenn, I am so sorry you have been so mislead concerning Him.
onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:04 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm here for the long haul, though, so you're out of luck.

Good. Smile Though I knew you were.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:06 pm
I was five years old when my older sister, Carol, who was fourteen, told me that the Tooth Fairy was, in fact, mom. I was young, but I remember my response. All thought stopped, and I stood there thinking about whether it was possible that it was my mom. In our house, you put your tooth in a glass of water and then put the glass on the kitchen window sill. In the morning, the tooth was gone, and there was a dime at the bottom of the glass. Took me about ten seconds to determine that it could easily be done by mom. So, I went to her and asked if there was really a Tooth Fairy or if she was the one taking the tooth and putting the dime in the glass. She didn’t answer right away, and she had a strange look on her face. I’d seen the look before. Something was up; she was hiding something.

Without looking at me, she finally said, “Did somebody tell you that there wasn’t a Tooth Fairy?”

I said, “Yeah, Carol told me it was you.”

“Well she’s wrong,” she said. “Now go tell her I want her.”

I went outside and found Carol and told her that mom wanted her. A little later, Carol came to me and said that she was kidding about mom being the Tooth Fairy. I noticed that she was quite subdued, her eyes downcast. It was obvious that she had been yelled at . . . or hit. Even at five, I knew a conspiracy when I saw one. J There was no fuckin’ Tooth Fairy. And then I found out about the Easter Bunny, and then Santa Claus. On the up side, I learned to not believe everything I was told--not even if it was my mother who told me. Funny thing is that, even after all that, it still took a lot of years before I decided I was being lied to about the existence of the biblical god. I attribute this lag in the application of critical thinking skills when it came to the Almighty to the fact that, unlike Easter and Christmas, the adults were really playing this one to a tee. Every Sunday since the day I was born, lots and lots of people filled churches, sang songs, and talked to God, all while holding their sacred book. And even if you stayed home instead of going to church, there were religious programs all morning on most of the TV stations. There was no escape!

But like I said, the upside is that I learned that, despite who it is that tells you something is true, or how many people believe it, it just might turn out to be bullshit. So, even if the Pope--especially if the Pope--tells you something, think twice, if not three times.
Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:07 pm
@neologist,
Jealousy is not a positive trait. It's based on pure base emotion.
Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:10 pm
@onevoice,
The information concerning the God of the Bible is flawed. If God is jealous, who is he jealous of?

Why would he require torture and blood as ransom for letting us off the hook for sinning?
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:18 pm
I attended Sunday school and church because my mother thought that forcing me to go was the right thing to do. And what did I learn in Sunday school? For starters, I learned that I was guilty of sin before I was even born. Then the Sunday school teacher pointed to some guy hanging on a cross, and told me that my sin was the reason he had to be up there, and that if he hadn’t offered himself up to be tortured to death, his dad, God, would have condemned me to burn alive in Hell for eternity. So, I was guilty of being the cause of an innocent man’s torture and death two thousand years ago, and now I owed it to this guy to ask him into my heart, and then to be as much like him as humanly possible.

Obviously, the reason this premise was presented to me at an immature age is because the idea of a great being of love and light requiring a ransom consisting of torture, blood, and death in return for forgiving me of something I couldn’t even recall doing would have been rejected by a more mature mind. Like all children, when confronted with the task of determining what’s real and what’s not, I looked to the adults. If adults respond to a thing or an idea as if it’s real, then children will follow suit. And once that thing or idea is established in the mind as a fact, it’s very difficult to remove it, even in the face of undeniable evidence to the contrary.

For instance, if you ask someone committed to the biblical version of God for evidence that this god exists, they might offer up the fact that it says so in the Bible. And if you then ask them how they know that the Bible is accurate, they may answer by telling you that it’s the word of God. This is circular reasoning--using two unproven facts to validate each other. One need look no further than the first page of the Bible to discover an inaccuracy. The chronological order of creation, according to the book of Genesis, has plant life and vegetation being created before the Sun. So, basically, I was being taught something akin to the idea that two plus two equals five. So, the adults who were pushing this belief system onto me were either ignorant of the inaccuracies contained within the pages of the text, or they were aware of them, but chose to look the other way and subtly encourage me to do the same.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:32 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Funny thing is that, even after all that, it still took a lot of years before I decided I was being lied to about the existence of the biblical god.

No Glenn. You got lied to about who He really is.
Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:35 pm
@onevoice,
And who is he . . . really?