A God That Makes Sense?

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 08:01 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:

If God was around for an infinite period of time before his first creation, at what point in an infinite loop could an infinite mind become bored?

God and I both get bored at the completion of the first loop. We don't do loops.
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
A first loop would indicate a finite god, that beckons the question who or what created or initiated god?
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 11:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
A fine sentiment my friend. I don't even mind being called a wart Smile
neologist

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 12:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . .If I were to be rewarded in an afterlife with a Heaven...and asked what I would prefer it to be...I'd choose what I am living right now.

This is Heaven for me. I really love it...even with all its warts.
Funny you should say that, Frank. Because it is exactly what Jehovah has promised us. Without warts, of course, since we would no longer get sick and die.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 02:40 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

A fine sentiment my friend. I don't even mind being called a wart Smile

You are not a wart, Smiley.

But the 98 I shot after shooting an 82 was a huge one!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 05:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If I were to be rewarded in an afterlife with a Heaven...and asked what I would prefer it to be...I'd choose what I am living right now.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, this world has given me more than I ever expected. More than I even asked for. I beat par on every hole.

But come on Frank, I don't believe you are a man of such limited imagination. How about a world without biting insects? Or one without these insipid politicians? Stretch a little. Surely you can come up with at least one improvement.

And I'll bet if you make a hole in one every time, you'll be bored.
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 06:05 am
We're promised an eternity of singing the praises of that adolescent creep of a god you have--what an insecure, egomaniac. I'll stick with the stinging insects, thanks.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 06:18 am
@Setanta,
Or a world without all these myths about endless boring singing and harping in heaven. Holy cow, talk about lack of imagination...

PS: Who or what is your God? I know you have one...
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 06:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Not my myth, Bright Boy, nor my lack of imagination. What then do you allege that people will be doing for eternity? As far as i'm concerned, living for eternity would be my idea of hell.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 06:44 am
@Setanta,
I wasn't referring to your lack of imagination. You were so lazy that you had to depend on others for even that myth.

And then you stole MY line. If this world is all there was, I'd chose death instead of an eternity of more of it. It was fine for what it was made for, but not forever.

What do I expect to be doing for eternity? Mainly enjoying the company and the freedom from all these myths.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 02:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
If I were to be rewarded in an afterlife with a Heaven...and asked what I would prefer it to be...I'd choose what I am living right now.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, this world has given me more than I ever expected. More than I even asked for. I beat par on every hole.

But come on Frank, I don't believe you are a man of such limited imagination. How about a world without biting insects? Or one without these insipid politicians? Stretch a little. Surely you can come up with at least one improvement.

And I'll bet if you make a hole in one every time, you'll be bored.

Yup to all of those things. That is why I would prefer this life...as my Heaven.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Yup to all of those things. That is why I would prefer this life...as my Heaven.
Ask and ye shall receive :-)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 10:26 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Not my myth, Bright Boy, nor my lack of imagination. What then do you allege that people will be doing for eternity? As far as i'm concerned, living for eternity would be my idea of hell.
Well, after a few hundred years or so of perfect health, when you got bored, you could just jump off a cliff. We are not immortal.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 12:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
If an all powerful God capable of creating this universe exists, why would he bother creating us?

Leadfoot, do you have any children?

onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:27 pm
@onevoice,
Better yet... Don't answer that... If you do, please do me a favor. Close your eyes for just a moment. Go back to the day they were born. The moment they let out that first cry. How your heart lept in your chest, and you realized what unconditional love felt like for the first time in your life.

Linger there for just a moment...

THAT is why He created us. Smile
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:33 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
"If an all powerful God capable of creating this universe exists, why would he bother creating us?"

Leadfoot, do you have any children?

Yes, two daughters that I love dearly. While that may answer the question for some, it never did for me. Or at least it doesn't fit the answer I came to about why God created us (Because he wanted company). Kids make lousy company for the first 20 years or so :-)

To be honest, if it were not for sex drive, the population of earth would be a tiny fraction of what it is today. If you removed sex drive and the societal and economic pressure to have children in earlier days, I'm not sure there would be anybody here. Of course I am male and don't know anything about the 'biological time bomb' urge that women may feel. If you have any insights about that, I'm interested. That may be yet another device God used to insure we populated earth.

If I sound cynical, about that it is because the real reasons most people have children are for selfish reasons far removed from love, even though they may come to love them after the fact. Growing up in my own family, I had no clue about what love was until I was about 6 years old. I learned about it at a drive in movie. It happened to be "Bambi" . It blew me away! The idea of having someone special to love and be loved by was an ideal I worshipped for many decades afterwards.

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 01:38 pm
@onevoice,
Quote:
@onevoice,
Better yet... Don't answer that... If you do, please do me a favor. Close your eyes for just a moment. Go back to the day they were born. The moment they let out that first cry. How your heart lept in your chest, and you realized what unconditional love felt like for the first time in your life.

Linger there for just a moment...

THAT is why He created us. Smile

Too late, I had already hit 'reply' :-)

If only I had a more 'normal' life. The joy of those early days of parenthood was mostly missed in the midst of a nightmare of a marriage. I still miss that. (The joy I mean, not the marriage...)

0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 02:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
[Yes, two daughters that I love dearly. While that may answer the question for some, it never did for me. Or at least it doesn't fit the answer I came to about why God created us (Because he wanted company). Kids make lousy company for the first 20 years or so :-)

Lol! You have a point! But, the love remains the same.

Quote:
To be honest, if it were not for sex drive, the population of earth would be a tiny fraction of what it is today. If you removed sex drive and the societal and economic pressure to have children in earlier days, I'm not sure there would be anybody here. Of course I am male and don't know anything about the 'biological time bomb' urge that women may feel. If you have any insights about that, I'm interested. That may be yet another device God used to insure we populated earth.

Aha! I see you and I think a lot alike in some ways! Or perhaps over think a lot alike... Lol I believe reproduction is instinctive. Look at all the animals. Bet they've never seen a hustler magazine! I can only speak from my own experience here... But I will give you the best I got to help you understand a little better a woman's side of that.

I have never been able to have children. I found out at the age of 19. Long before medicine advanced to where it is now. I was told all they knew was my ovaries were not releasing any eggs and they didn't know why, or how to fix it. I was pretty devastated. I believed no one would ever love me or want to marry me because I couldn't bear them children.

At the age of 30 my endocrinologist informed me of the many medical advances over the years and told me I had a two year window to possibly have a baby... Possibly more... Like twins!!! I had always wanted twin boys. Nathaniel James and Justin Walker were going to be their names. Smile Only two years, because then medically it was considered an unsafe pregnancy.

I didn't have or want a boyfriend at the time and wasn't going to run off and get knocked up just to have a baby. Lo and behold, when the two year window closed, it closed completely. I started peri menopause at the age of 32 and have been full blown menopausal for about five years now. *sigh* Hot flashes still suck... Lol

However, I still think if ever given the chance to experience that moment for myself... I would. Undoubtedly, I would. That's why it being instinctive makes sense to me. The desire has never gone away, though the ability to do so was never there.

Quote:
If I sound cynical, about that it is because the real reasons most people have children are for selfish reasons far removed from love, even though they may come to love them after the fact. Growing up in my own family, I had no clue about what love was until I was about 6 years old. I learned about it at a drive in movie. It happened to be "Bambi" . It blew me away! The idea of having someone special to love and be loved by was an ideal I worshipped for many decades afterwards.

I was 19 years old when I discovered love is real. Through one beautiful young woman, who chose to look beyond the ball of mess exterior of mine, and find some value that no one else could see, or was even looking for... In me.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 04:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
I was going to tell you not to tell me i'm lazy, but then i considered that i waste my time talking to you, rather than doing something more useful, like playing a video game or reading a good book, so maybe you're right.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
I was going to tell you not to tell me i'm lazy, but then i considered that i waste my time talking to you, rather than doing something more useful, like playing a video game or reading a good book, so maybe you're right.

Ok. Bye.