A God That Makes Sense?

Banana Breath

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
So add Orotidine 5’-phosphate decarboxylase to the lab experiment. In fact, add every amino acid you need, optomize the temperature, stir the pot as often as you like, add any kind of energy to the sample you think is needed, do anything you think will increase the likelihood of a DNA string containing the required encoding for life (EXCEPT DESIGN INFORMATION) and see if you get it. The only reason this experiment is not done is because scientists know intuitively (or unconsciously) that it ain't gonna happen - ever in 13.8 billion years.

On the contrary, such experiments are going on in many laboratories around the world, including the laboratories of Nobel prizewinner Jack Szostak of Harvard University and colleagues, some of which you can read about in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/33/13492
but it is an erroneous assumption that there needs to be a jump from a stew of amino acids to DNA for life to begin. Most evolutionary scientists agree that Earth life was based on the simpler RNA prior to the appearance of DNA, and probably even earlier and still simpler self-replicating molecules are hypothesized akin to the synthesized PNA and TNA.
http://discovermagazine.com/2004/jun/cover
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:31 am
@Banana Breath,
Abiogenesis is outside the scope of the thread but I like the subject anyway.

'RNA world' approach has been widely rejected for many reasons but for the sake of argument, let's say it or even the hypothesized chemistries you mentioned were feasible.

RNA is just DNA without the complementary string attached. The complexity of the instructions, the language, the required machinery for execution is still the same. The RNA hypothesis (or any other chemistry) does not solve the problem.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 09:35 am
This thread strayed onto another one so reposting this here.

Quote:
@Leadfoot (from InfraBlue)
Well, you started by asking if it was possible to hypothesize a God that answers all the objections to religion(s) and at the same time is compatible with reason and human nature. Frank suggested a god that always existed and that occasionally just creates things to see what happens, one that can create beings incapable of comprehending a true creator.

You dismissed that as being too boring. You suggested a more interesting scenario in which the beings could comprehend the creator, and that every religion that you've been exposed to tells you that you can't comprehend God and that you're just not buying that story.

I responded by saying that already, you are introducing contradictions to the circumstances that we find ourselves in, what with your desire for an interesting god that isn't boring to you. You object to religion, but you're creating your own religion.

Thanks for the recap, I would have reviewed it myself but bandwidth is in short supply here. Slower than dial-up and intermittent.

My bad, I should not have blown Franks suggestion off so flippantly. I'm going to ramble a bit but here's why I don't think there is a contradiction.

When I said "a God that makes sense" I meant *to us*. The arbitrary God that did what Frank suggested fails that test but also fails in terms of what an intelligent God would be expected to do as well.

You might argue that I am anthropomorphizing God (and many have made that charge) but why not? Archaeologists legitimately draw all kinds of conclusions from the trash piles of long dead civilizations, why is it unreasonable to draw conclusions about our own creator by looking at his creations (us)?

When we try to create conscious beings (AI) what model do we use? Ourselves of course, so why would it be unreasonable to assume that God would do the same?

When I said Franks concept was boring and not interesting enough, I was speaking for humans and God. I would find a creation of my own able to relate to me, it's maker, infinitely more interesting than one that could not. I think that would be God's choice too. It just makes sense to me.

If he had wanted beings that could not know him, he could have stopped with animals. I find Zoos boring and cruel. And putting sentient beings in a zoo purely for the entertainment of the zoo keeper would be unspeakably cruel. Our creator is obviously a hard ass but not a little boy frying ants with his magnifying glass for fun.

As for the charge of starting my own religion, I'm not sure what to say. I've never wanted to do such a thing. But if it made sense, I'd do it. God knows we could use one that did.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 09:47 am
@Leadfoot,
From the other thread. Respond to it wherever you deem appropriate.

Quote:
When I said "a God that makes sense" I meant *to us*.

I doubt anyone thought you meant to aliens, Leadfoot.

Of course you meant "to us"...and I directed my suggestions "to us."

Quote:
The arbitrary God that did what Frank suggested fails that test...

The god is not "arbitrary"...it is hypothetical.

That is what you asked for...and what was delivered.

I'm not sure why the god I hypothesized does not make sense to you...but it sure does to me.

It may be that ANY hypothesized god that makes sense...will not make sense to you because you want no such god to be possible.

What do you see as so nonsensical about a god that could create an environment (the universe)...inhabit it with beings that can think and be creative...and see what they make of it?

To me...that sounds like exactly what a god would do.

Quote:
...but also fails in terms of what an intelligent God would be expected to do as well.

Perhaps to you (maybe in response to an agenda you have)...but as I said, it would be EXACTLY what I would expect of an intelligent god.

I think you ought take a careful look at what is motivating you in this area (you are the only one who truly can do it)...and see if the scenarios are actually missing the mark....or if you are simply declaring them as missing the mark no matter what.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
@Frank Apisa,
You didn't address any of my reasoning why I thought God would make us capable of comprehending him, which I thought was InfraBlue's point but I won't make you defend his POV.

But to you: I haven't said anything contrary your core statement of God putting us here to see what we make of it all. Of course that makes sense. I'm just including 'Him' in that 'all'. And I think we all do that as evidenced by the innumerable conversations like this one.

If you eliminate God from the things we are capable of interacting with (which is the God you are hypothesizing) I guess you are saying that he put us here as passive entertainment. That just seems kind of bland without the eventual possibility of interaction with your creation. It would be like me spending 10 years building an airplane and never flying it. I can't imagine that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 03:41 pm
I posted this about 10 years back:
Define God
Quite an astonishing array of answers. . .
0 Replies

vansdad

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 08:58 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Did you mean what is our purpose in this earthly life? This life looks a lot like a 'crash test' to me.

Unfortunately I think too often this life is taken for granted. There is purpose and meaning everywhere. But we miss it by seeing the negative and not the possibly purpose. Life is precious
Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 04:55 am
@vansdad,
Well, that was pretty much meaningless babble.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 06:43 am
@vansdad,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
"Did you mean what is our purpose in this earthly life? This life looks a lot like a 'crash test' to me."

Unfortunately I think too often this life is taken for granted. There is purpose and meaning everywhere. But we miss it by seeing the negative and not the possibly purpose. Life is precious
I might have used a better metaphor but you took that the wrong way.

Still, a crash test does has a very valuable purpose. The flaw in the metaphor is that this life is meant to be a non-destructive test, like testing a race car prior to the actual race. It's stressful but meant to insure that it doesn't break down on race day. But racing is inherently dangerous and some will crash. Life IS too precious to waste sitting in an easy chair. Go racing anyway.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 07:46 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Is it possible to hypothesise a God that answers all the objections to religion(s) and at the same time is compatible with reason and human nature?

No, that's why you seek to bolster your befeebled belief by broaching support.

Quote:
If an all powerful God capable of creating this universe exists, why would he bother creating us?

My hypothetical answer: Because he wanted company. Just because you are powerful does not mean you don't get lonely

Why would your imaginary super being be bereft because of a lack of your obsequious proselytising sycophantry?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 09:07 am
@nacredambition,
Quote:

Why would your imaginary super being be bereft because of a lack of your obsequious proselytising sycophantry?

Because even hyper intelligent beings like you desperately need the stimulation. What would you do without deluded idiots like me against which to hone your razor sharp wit and intellect?
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 11:44 am
@Leadfoot,
nakedmensan wrote:
(Sorry if I could not remember how to spell your name)
Leadfoot wrote:
Because even hyper intelligent beings like you desperately need the stimulation. What would you do without deluded idiots like me against which to hone your razor sharp wit and intellect?
One danger in the worship of one's brain. It's a god with a mind of its own . . . .
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 03:41 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
One danger in the worship of one's brain. It's a god with a mind of its own . . . .

Well, according to you your God did create it, in his own image and whatnot.
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 04:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
He created brains in his image?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 04:53 pm
@neologist,
Something like that.
neologist

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 05:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
Obviously you are privy to theocratic information of which I am unaware.
Kudos to you Blue.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 10:35 pm
@neologist,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 08:31 am
@neologist,
Quote:

He created brains in his image?

I get what your driving at but I'm sure you know that Blue is talking about the essence of your being. No need to quibble about terminology. Besides, my guess is the creator's character is reflected in the brain's design too. You can tell a lot about anyone by looking at what he builds.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 10:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Yeah, quibbling to avoid the issues at hand is neo's wont.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 06:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
. . . I get what your driving at but I'm sure you know that Blue is talking about the essence of your being. . . . .
Hmm.
My initial point, specifically:
Quote:
is a reference to those who are so enamored with their own intelligence, they cannot abide the simple. It's a failure to understand that what is profound may not necessarily be complex.