CBC uses racist remarks against Nader

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:16 am
Tensions between Ralph Nader and the Congressional Black Caucus flared again yesterday, after a letter from the independent presidential candidate to the caucus chairman, Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), demanded an apology for an "obscene racial epitaph" at a tense meeting last month.

Black lawmakers reacted to Nader's letter with a combination of anger and disdain, questioning his mental health and accusing him of acute and advanced egomania.

"He ain't playing with a full deck," said Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), a member of the caucus and vice chairman of the Democratic caucus.

file photo
Consumer advocate Ralph Nader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't think he gets it," said Rep. Albert Wynn (D-Md.).

"The meeting was about strategy and the pragmatic planning to defeat [President] Bush," said Wynn.

"We told him how at strategic level, his candidacy defeats a common a goal," said Wynn, who criticized Nader for adopting a sanctimonious tone at the beginning of the meeting.

"We were particularly offended by Nader's exhibitionism, his selfishness and egotism," Wynn added.

Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.) said, "If he didn't understand what the meeting was about, not only is he an egotistical maniac, he's dumber than I thought he was."

Nader's two-and-a-half-page letter, released to the media before many members of the caucus had a chance to see it, demanded an apology from Rep. Melvin Watt (D-N.C.). Nader took umbrage at Watt's choice of words. Watt, Nader alleged, called him "just another arrogant white man, telling us what we can do. It's all about your ego, another [expletive] arrogant white man."

"Exclamations at the meeting descended into vituperative (e.g., Congresswoman [Carolyn] Kilpatrick's [D-Mich.] tawdry, anatomical comment yelled loud enough so the press could hear it outside) and ending with the obscene racist epithet repeated twice by Yale Law School alumnus Congressman Melvin Watt of North Carolina," Nader wrote Cummings.

As reported by The Hill, Kilpatrick told Nader to "get your ass out" at the June 22 meeting.

The full text of the story is here...
http://www.thehill.com/news/071404/nader.aspx

Question,does this help anyone,or does it make the CBC look ridiculous and Nader look silly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 564 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Redheat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:30 am
Am I missing something?

Nadar is offended because they called him dumb? which btw many people are saying.

Is this the offending "racial" slur?

Quote:
It's all about your ego, another [expletive] arrogant white man."

Isn't he white? isn't he arrogant?

Maybe someone else can point out what Nadar is outraged about.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:44 am
Like I said Red,the whole thing makes one look silly and the other look ridiculous.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
Yeah, mysteryman, I agree.

And Nader is 'throwing in his own glasses', this way ... just last week, a Gallup poll showed that he was polling 10% among Blacks, compared to only 6% among whites (and 8% among Hispanics). With such an unexpected potential among minority groups, he shouldnt go around getting into race fights.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
Actually I can see why nader would think that was reverse discrimination "just another white man..."

Think about it, what if nader was black and the person said, "just another black man..." fur would fly and rightfully so. It is just as bad for those on the other side to say what they did in the kind of manner that they did. It sort of took away from the main legitimate main point of nader taking votes away in a close election.

peronally I am already sick of the election and it ain't even here yet. (just a side note that don't mean anything to anything)
0 Replies