Why do guys call girls hun?

chai2

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 04:39 pm
@Rollerblader9526,
Rollerblader9526 wrote:

It was March. My break was like the 13th till 20th. It was still snowing then and I had off since I lost my mom over spring break

Ah. Well then, it's totally understandable how you're concerned about whether a boy working at a deli is flirting with you, what with your mother newly dead and all.

It's nice to see how you kept your priorities staight.
Rollerblader9526

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you. I'm sure 19 and never had much like having a boyfriend when I was growing up since I took care of her. So I can't tell the difference if he's trying to hint he likes me/me reading too much into it (I probably am)/ a guy not liking me at all. Just seemed different everytime I go there. He seems to treat me different compared to others
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:25 pm
@Rollerblader9526,
I guess it's up to you then.

If you think you might be interested in him, ask him if he'd like to go for coffee after work (or something similar)

___

keep in mind that a lot of people say hon/honey/hun without it meaning anything. it is very commonly said by service/retail staff in a lot of regions
Rollerblader9526

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I know some people say it without it meaning anything. But when he called me hun he seemed like he didn't want me to go. Idk. Like he gave me a bag with my food in it and instead of handing it over like a normal person would he held it out with both of u his hands and kept looking at me when I finally grabbed it he said take care hun which caught me off guard since he never called me hun before and I never heard him call abother customer that. His coworker was helping out a girl and he just stood around instead of waiting on her/ringing her up like he would for me. I feel like I'm over reading this a lot
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
@Rollerblader9526,
A lot of us were very new to meeting people at nineteen and how to take what people said - I think most people are, no matter how smart they act. That's the thing - others are figuring out all this at the same time you are. He may be too (or not).

Do you know his name? I'm thinking I'd say hi, Mike (or whatever, and smile) when I saw him again. Maybe ask how he is, because you may be wondering about that.

That's the thing I learned once I got an afterschool job, to get off of my interest in me (I had sort of a closed life as you describe yours but not with your difficulty) and listen to other people.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:59 pm
@Rollerblader9526,
If you're interested in him, talk to him.

Don't ask us about him - ask him.
0 Replies

Rollerblader9526

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:08 pm
@chai2,
she passed away back in march and we knew it was happening. she been sick with cancer for a long time and kept going in and out of a hospital. it's been a few months since she passed away. its not like she passed away the day before i posted this...
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 06:28 am
@Rollerblader9526,
Think it's a regional colloquilism, though I've only ever heard it from women. Like how some older people may say 'pop' instead of 'soda.' Got that one during basic training way back and it really stood out as odd. Smile

'Hun' struck me at first as kinda patronizing until I realized it was just a regional thing.
0 Replies