Why do guys call girls hun?

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 09:18 am
I go to this deli and this guy works there. Everytime I am in there he'll wait on me. Even if one of his coworkers are waiting on me. He would jump into it and ring me up. My dad wanted food and I called and ordered. The guy picked up he ended up saying "I'll see you soon" I get there he waits on me put it in a bag and said "have a good day hun" never called anyone hun when I was in there. Never called me hun. I went in got a drink went out and my brother texted me saying he wanted one. I went back in and he smiled at me like he was happy to see me again. I stopped going in for a few weeks and when I went back he was with a customer. He ended up looking up seeing me then back at the cash register then his head shot up again and was staring at me. I was with my sister and he kept looking at me but that could of been because I was in pj pants(but it was winter and I had off since it was spring break for college) he looks my age

maxdancona

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 10:03 am
@Rollerblader9526,
Are you of German descent?
Rollerblader9526

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 10:12 am
@maxdancona,
No i am not a German descent
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 10:16 am
It was a pretty lame joke--nevertheless, one does wonder if you're humorless. Men call women "hun" (and, in my experience, women far more often call men "hun") as an expression of casual affection, someone they like, although not someone they're in love with. It's short for "honey."

But, come on, this is really just an ego trip for you, right? Letting us know how you are worshiped from afar . . .
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 11:58 am
@Rollerblader9526,
It's a reflex for quite a few women and some men.
No big deal.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:02 pm
You know that "hun"="hon" = "honey", right?
timur

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:14 pm
@Olivier5,
No, he was thinking it was Attila..
Olivier5

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:28 pm
@timur,
Yeah, my question was foolish. Then the answer seems to be: "because he likes you, hun".
chai2

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:57 pm
You have Spring break in the Winter?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:04 pm
@chai2,
we do
maxdancona

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:32 pm
@Olivier5,
This seems rather inefficient.

If he likes her, he should tell her more directly. And if she likes him, she should ask him for coffee after he finishes work.

It would be sad if they liked each other but all that happened is "hun".
chai2

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

we do

Why don't you call it Winter break then?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:46 pm
@Setanta,
You seem a bit cranky, Hun.

Don't mind me, I am just a troll. What do you expect from a troll?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:46 pm
I live in Maryland, when you drive into Baltimore there is the usual sign announcing "Welcome to Maryland", and for many years now, someone tapes an additional word to the sign, changing it to read Welcome to Maryland, hon. The city takes it down and somebody puts it back up.

It's an automatic response especially by waitresses in local restaurants. I'm guilty of adding "hon" when I pay for things. Clerks hand me change, I respond 'Thanks hon'. It's pronounced hun, but it's written hon. I'm sure it differs from region to region, my MIL often used "sug" short for sugar, it's more common in North Carolina.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:52 pm
@chai2,
You'll have to ask @Popular Culture
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 02:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Opp's it was supposed to read Welcome to Baltimore, hon, not welcome to Maryland.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Maybe he's just shy? Or maybe the OP reads too much in it... In any case, I agree that the only way to tell is to ask him out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 04:10 pm
Memories of a California woman -

My mother called me honey, and it was always meant sweetly. My father called me an endearing nickname for my 'formal' name.
Some waitresses have called me hon, but not many, mostly in truck stops, cafes, when I was driving across the U.S.
I use 'honey' sometimes - I should curb myself of this - in a sardonic semi-informative way, as if the other person is being stupid for a moment, as in, "honey, that politician is up to no good".
Never have called anyone "hon" or "hun", at least that I remember. I think these usages are all rather geographically distributed.

Guys have, over several decades, called me many names. Doll, or dollface are ones I remember that surprised me at the time. Darling, usually meant either nicely or with a slight twist of humor. All these years later, it's "ma'am". There have been some babes in there, off and on, which I admit to liking.

I'll take a pass on the swearwords, some deserved.
0 Replies

Rollerblader9526

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 04:17 pm
@chai2,
It was March. My break was like the 13th till 20th. It was still snowing then and I had off since I lost my mom over spring break
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 04:27 pm
@Rollerblader9526,
I'm sorry to hear you lost your mom.