Would US teens want a lower age of consent?

FBM

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:40 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

FBM wrote:

Nobody's talking about a doctor giving a permission slip to anyone for a night of banging. It would just be a medical assessment of the person's reproductive maturity.

Great, another chance to add corruption to our lives. No doc is going to say no to sex. The exam only effects the lecture these poor people will have to suffer before the state will allow what I grew up thinking was God given, mine and free. And still mostly do.

I can't even figure out what the **** you're babbling about.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:48 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I can't even figure out what the **** you're babbling about.

Welcome to our world FBM. Surprised
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:51 am
@tsarstepan,
Some people can't tell the difference between profundity and incoherence.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 07:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Heehee. At least it's not just me...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 04:43 pm
So, your question is:
Should middle school be a playground for the middle aged?

Why do you ask?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 05:12 pm
@neologist,
I think it very interesting that we seem to have no idea what youth thinks of the current AOC laws. I was only guessing that they dont care because they violate the law all the time and dont believe that the state will ever prosecute them. Is this a case of we dont know because we dont care? I have long advocated for lower AOC laws as a matter of good policy, it is not because I ever thought that teens would welcome the freedom/responsibility of being allowed to have sex earlier.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 05:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I think it very interesting that we seem to have no idea what youth thinks of the current AOC laws.

Whenever's that stopped you pontificating?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 05:21 pm
@izzythepush,
The correct word is advocating, and I never made a claim as to how young people feel about my ideas on how the laws should be changed
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I think it very interesting that we seem to have no idea what youth thinks of the current AOC laws.
What teens think about laws to protect them is irrelevant
roger

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:18 pm
@neologist,
Short, and accurate.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:27 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

pretty much that is always the story isn't it, that what we think of what the government does to us does not matter once they claim they did it to protect us. Look at the NSA for example.
roger

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't think the two are actually analogous, do you? Seriously?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You don't think the two are actually analogous, do you? Seriously?

of course I do. Government claims that it is providing "SAFETY!" do not in and of themselves justify their actions. The government might well be using this claim unjustly to forbid sex all the way up to 18 years old just as I think they do it unjustly with the NSA, the only difference is that those under 18 are even more powerless to do anything about this injustice than we are, because they cant vote. THey are the perfect victims. Powerless.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 07:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am pretty sure that if you were to ask Europeans what they would think of their government outlawing sex up to age 18 that they would say that it is a cruel abuse of the citizens at the hands of government. I also think that their courts would overturn such laws on that basis. For sure though I cant support these laws.
neologist

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 08:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
neologist wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
pretty much that is always the story isn't it, that what we think of what the government does to us does not matter once they claim they did it to protectus.Look at the NSA for example. (emphasis mine)
Teenagers mostly do not understand the difference between their elbows and their eyeballs. That is why society has developed standards of protection. They are not us.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 08:51 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
The arrogance in that statement is enormous . You can make the same argument for peasants, immigrants, anyone really .
neologist

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:32 pm
@Ionus,
Are you unable to discern the difference in maturity between "peasants, immigrants, anyone really" and the children of "peasants, immigrants, anyone really"?

That's why the laws are written by adults and not by you.
Ionus

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:38 pm
@neologist,
Everyone who has ever taken away another persons control of their lives has had an excuse . Only the arrogant believe the excuse offered . Why dont we just leave decisions on everything up to the experts ? They are the only ones who "know" compared to the voter, much like with teenagers and adults .

Quote:
That's why the laws are written by adults and not by you.
That's why people will do anything without consulting...for the greater good of course...for the majorities own benefit...they dont know what they are doing...and lots of other lovely phrases can be used to justify dictatorship .

The first step to being a dictator is to ignore the opinions of those most affected .
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 10:14 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
The Government at Westminster has today ignored the will of the people of Northern Ireland and its elected representatives by pushing ahead with plans to lower the age of consent.
A draft sexual offences order was today laid in Parliament by Minister of State, Paul Goggins. It will reduce the age of consent to 16 in the Province.
The move comes in spite of a weight of evidence showing the plan is strongly opposed by the public and politicians of different parties across Northern Ireland.
Just yesterday a majority of MLAs signed a No Day Named motion in the Northern Ireland Assembly saying they were against the proposal.
A public opinion poll published earlier this month showed that three quarters of the public (73 per cent) wanted the age of consent to remain at 17.
In February an Assembly Committee issued a report opposing a reduction. The report was passed unopposed by the full Assembly.
Callum Webster, Northern Ireland Officer of The Christian Institute, said: "This is a slap in the face to the people of Northern Ireland. The public don’t want it. Youth associations don’t want it. Belfast Rape Crisis Centre doesn’t want it. Political parties don’t want it.
"Not only is this undemocratic, but it sends out a dangerous signal to the young people of Northern Ireland. The age of consent is an important child protection measure and lowering it can only cause damage and harm."
In a statement issued by the Northern Ireland Office, Government Minister Paul Goggins said: "The Order also sets the age of consent at 16 in line with the rest of the UK. We are certainly not encouraging 16 year olds to engage in sexual activity. What this is about is defining the age at which a criminal offence takes place even when consent is given."

http://anglicanmainstream.org/ni-public-opinion-ignored-as-age-of-consent-lowered-to-16/

I have no idea if Americans feel the same way.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 10:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
"Predatory adults would be given legitimacy to focus their attentions on even younger teenagers, and there is a real risk that society would be sending out the message that sex between 14- to 15-year-olds is also acceptable,” said Liz Dux, a lawyer who has represented sex abuse victims of British broadcaster Jimmy Savile. But lowering the age of consent wouldn't prevent the U.K. from prohibiting sexual contact between people of considerable age differences. Communicating an acceptance of sex between two 14-year-olds is much, much different than legitimizing contact between a 14-year-old and a predatory adult. Maybe the law should reflect that distinction—in the U.K. and here

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/11/18/lowering_the_age_of_consent_u_k_public_health_advocate_john_ashton_wants.html

Amanda Hess, making sense for a change.