Would US teens want a lower age of consent?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 10:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
A government-appointed panel has recommended that age of consensual sex be revised from 18 years to 16 years. It has also suggested that there should be a 'close-in-age' exception for young people in consensual sexual relationships when the two are above the age of 16 years.

At present the age of consent in India is 18 years with both the Protection of Children Against Sexual Offences (POCSO) and the Criminal Law Amendment Act (anti-rape law) recognizing persons below 18 years as minor.

The recommendation is part of the "high level committee on status of women 2015" that recently submitted its report to the women and child development (WCD) ministry, headed by Maneka Gandhi. The controversial recommendation along with other suggestions in the report will be debated with significant stakeholders including ministries of home, law, health among others in a meeting on July 20.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Govt-panel-recommends-bringing-down-age-of-consent-to-16-years/articleshow/48027166.cms

who says no one is arguing to lower the AOC??.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 11:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
If you look to India (your source) or Europe e.g. Germany (age of content here is 14), this will be another topic than originally questioned.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 12:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
If you look to India (your source) or Europe e.g. Germany (age of content here is 14), this will be another topic than originally questioned.

No, because unless you can show me why America should be exceptional (different) when I look at the rest of the world I should see something like what we have. 18 year old age of consent? How do we justify that? Who else thinks that 18 years before people can have sex legally is OK? Damn with those hormones it is practically neglect.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 02:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Talk of my literacy is a diversion and claims of my lack there of are hysterical.

Not when you don't know the difference between bazaar/bizarre, patience/patients, and still don't get it when it's pointed out to you. That's not just poor spelling, that's gross stupidity.

Most people would class you as semi literate at best.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 02:29 am
@izzythepush,
After all the times I have caught and documented Firefly and others here misusing language here, using crafty words to deceive, you are calling me stupid and illiterate? OK, it is your dime, but I dont see what the intended upside is. Your claim is ridiculous on the face of it. Diversion because you think you have a weak argument on the thread topic maybe?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 02:34 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

After all the times I have caught and documented Firefly and others here misusing language here, using crafty words to deceive, you are call me stupid and illiterate?

No I called you semi literate.

Thanks for proving my point.

You do it so unerringly well that I'm worried people are going to think I'm paying you to feed me these gems.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 02:43 am
@izzythepush,
I expect that you were one of those idiots who raised his hand in class when teach misspelled a word, even though you knew what he/she was trying to say. Why are you so desperate for attention?

Would you care to take a stab at defending 17 and/or 18 yo AOC laws?

Quote:
The average male loses his virginity at age 16.9; females average slightly older, at 17.4.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37853719/ns/health-sexual_health/t/surprising-sex-statistics/#.VcHMPPlViko

Law that criminalizes something that is so normal as to be average is a problem in my books.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 04:14 am
@hawkeye10,
I went to a school where the teachers knew how to spell, they were teachers after all.

Why would I want to defend something that's completely irrelevant? Our age of consent laws are 16, I'm quite happy with that.

The law isn't designed to penalise young people, but to stop them being exploited by adults. At the moment 14 year olds are legally protected from exploitation.

You make a lot of claims about how you predict things or catch others out but I've not seen any of it. About six months ago now I asked you to give me an example of something you'd got right. You couldn't find one. I've given a list of things you got wrong.

So now why don't you give us an example of how you caught Firefly out with her use of language? It should be quite easy considering how many times you've done it.

0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 09:13 am
Interesting to note how despite asking this of US teens, adults couldn't control themselves or behave like adults should restraining themselves from inserting their opinions. Yet, it's the teens who supposedly can't make good decisions? K...
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 09:42 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
If you want the opinion of US Teens go to a forum where they frequent. It's blatantly obvious, even to the most inobservant individual, that there aren't any on A2K.

Last one was about five years ago.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 10:51 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:

Interesting to note how despite asking this of US teens, ...

Your original post did not ask a question specifically to teens, it ask one about teens. I think you are lucky to have gotten the level of debate you have. Lots of threads like this just die.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 01:11 pm
@engineer,
" like this" meaning what? If you mean controversial the idea of changing AOC, of moving it down, has become a lot less controversial since I started bringing it up. I got told that I was nuts, after I presented good arguments which were ignored that others are taking up now, I dont recall even one person at A2K being even willing to consider the idea of allowing sex earlier. We could not even talk about it.

It seems we can at least talk about it now.

I never made this argument but the one in the piece I linked is a good one: we are never clear when we consider it OK to start having sex, the states have all different ages, and I think every state tells kids " if you do it before this birthday with people your age yes the law says that you are a criminal but dont worry, we will not prosecute you". This is unacceptable. The law is the roadmap the collective hands to individuals to inform us on what our behaviour should be, laws which that state says themselves do not represent the expectations must be torn up and re made.
engineer

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 01:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
I agree. Your willingness to champion topics like this has IMO opened up conversation on the board over time. I don't know that others are taking it up... it feels like you are still a voice in the wilderness and I notice that a fair number of your threads die without much love, but at least a few people engaged.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 05:45 pm
@engineer,
If we are to talk about it here are some of the questions along with my current answers

1) what should AOC be? 14, though I can live with 15.

2) Should the AOC be uniform across the nation? Yes

3) should the feds force the states to adopt uniform AOC laws like they have forced them to adopt fed rules on speed limits, BAC limits, campus sexual assault processes and so on? No, on principle I want Washington to stop being the authoritarian bully, the fact that I want something to get done does not negate that

4) If two people under the AOC are suspected of sex, or one under and one near, what should happen? Referral to the public health system for a look see, maybe resulting in an education interview, maybe resulting in future interviews.

5) if one person is substantially older than AOC and one is under AOC, and the younger claims that they would consent if the state allowed it, what should happen? Referral to the public health system with mandatory interview, with possible referral the the "justice" system.

6) the (5) situation where the one under AOC claims they would not consent if allowed, what happens? The "Justice" system takes the lead, as they do now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 06:06 pm
Jesus, you don't need to give Whackeye any encouragement to suggest that he marches to a different drummer. He's been peddling this bullsh*t since he showed up here. He is one of the most clueless loudmouths this site has ever had.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 06:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Jesus, you don't need to give Whackeye any encouragement to suggest that he marches to a different drummer. He's been peddling this bullsh*t since he showed up here. He is one of the most clueless loudmouths this site has ever had.

In your mind what then accounts for the movement to lower and/or make uniform the AOC laws across the world? Is not there a growing consensus that 17/18 is too high? What we have here is that you put the label of "garbage" on anything I say regardless of the evidence, regardless if my argument is gathering converts. You go to great lengths to deny that my ideas have merit, to the ridiculous in this case, and others. You lack of contact with reality diminishes you. You should consider at least trying to do better.

But yes, so far as I am aware my hawk eye noticed this problem/growing issue long before anyone else here did. That is actually a quite common occurrence.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 06:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
In many cases, it's for arranged marriages, as is the case in India. But as Walter has pointed, the topic is about "US teens," not the age of consent laws in other countries. In fact, i ignore most of the bullsh*t you post, especially your own hilarious threads. I only call bullsh*t on you when you're posting bullsh*t, and i have the misfortune to read it. You should at least consider learning to master the English language, which one must regrettably assume is your native language. You make a fool out of yourself on a regular basis.

I am not at all surprised to see, though, Rapist Boy, your deluded ego in full play.
Ionus

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 07:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Ah, yes, the argument that we are getting better...except that physically, mentally, philosophically, morally, we are the same now as we were 75,000 yrs ago . You like gadgets dont you ? You make the most stupid assertions in the believe that because you made them they will be taken as fact . You dont have the intelligence to understand the depth of ANY subject you have commented on...it is all skim across the surface with you .

Tell us how we are morally better off because it is the 21st century .
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 07:00 pm
@Setanta,
You have not explained why societies where marriages are sometimes arranged would have any different AOC than the USA. And I have already explained why what the rest of the world does should be considered by us. Who the **** do you think you are, George Bush?

Anti Hawkeye rants are not going to carry the day for you buddy, and they never really did. I am persistent, I am aware, and I am right too often for that to work. If you want to challenge me you are going to have to dig down and beat me on merits.

EDIT: A long time active A2K'er bitching about an alleged tangent? Now that's rich!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 07:04 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
one of the most clueless loudmouths this site has ever had
Shocked Stunning hypocrisy !
0 Replies