Man arrested for hate crime, assault against 12 year old black boy in rural Louisiana gas station

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 10:00 am
Man arrested for hate crime, assault against 12 year old black boy in rural Louisiana gas station

On July 25, a 12-year-old African-American boy with dreadlocks went into a rural Louisiana gas station to pay for his grandmother's gas.
While standing alone at the counter, he was confronted by a 54-year-old monster of a man, Ronnie Barnes. Barnes, as seen in the video below, first attempts to pull down the boy's pants, asks him if he's a boy or a girl, then calls him a nigger, corners him up against a shelf, and then hits him in his head.

In the interview below, both the boy and his mother say, understandably, that they are now losing sleep over this assault. Doubly so because the bail amount for Ronnie Barnes' release was only $1,000. While it's important that this man be charged with a hate crime, it's outrageous that anyone who assaults a complete stranger, a 12-year-old stranger, could be released back to the public so easily.

Ionus

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 09:31 pm
I cant help but wonder if the Judge and the racist were clan members . We had a culpable driving causing death charge thrown out here because the truck driver and the Judge were Masons . After the dust settled, the Judge was removed and the guy found guilty at retrial .

Who the hell hits a 12 yr old anyway ? Calling the boy a nigger because he wears dreadlocks ? Its disgusting .

This guy should be charged with assault, sexual assault and a couple of other charges that may be relevant . Bail is a bit more complex .
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 07:24 am
@Ionus,
Check this one out also in Louisiana:

Ionus

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 07:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes, that one made local news . There is some good psychology in a demonstration of power and restraining someone with ADHD . It should be used more than drugs . Having said that, it should only be done by the right people, either family or a trained psychologist . The real cure is for parents and siblings to spend more time with these troubled kids and to talk them through their problem . Parents seem to be too busy to care for children these days .

Remember these children are like that because they feel no one cares . Being restrained by a stranger just makes the world seem more dangerous and uncaring .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 08:51 pm
Boy, there sure are some douchebags out there.

That guy that pulled the kids pants? Seriously, what year does he think he's living in that anyone gives a thought to a persons gender because of the length of their hair.

I've got short hair, so I guess I'm a boy.
Ionus

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 09:17 pm
@chai2,
And if he had of tried to pull your pants down he would be interviewed in intensive care... Very Happy

The cowardice to pick on a 12 yr old ! He could have found Mike Tyson and told him off .
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:35 am
@Ionus,
You were wondering about standards:

Ferguson spurs 40 new state measures; activists want more
By DAVID A. LIEB
Aug. 3, 2015 1:03 AM EDT

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2014, file photo, a police tactical team moves in to disperse a group of... Read more

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — When a white Ferguson policeman fatally shot a black 18-year-old nearly a year ago, the St. Louis suburb erupted in violent protests and the nation took notice. Since then, legislators in almost every state have proposed changes to the way police interact with the public.

The result: Twenty-four states have passed at least 40 new measures addressing such things as officer-worn cameras, training about racial bias, independent investigations when police use force and new limits on the flow of surplus military equipment to local law enforcement agencies, according to an analysis by The Associated Press.

Despite all that action, far more proposals have stalled or failed, the AP review found. And few states have done anything to change their laws on when police are justified to use deadly force.

National civil rights leaders praised the steps taken by states but said they aren't enough to solve the racial tensions and economic disparities that have fueled protests in Ferguson, Baltimore, New York and elsewhere following instances in which people died in police custody or shootings.

"What we have right now in the country is an emerging consensus as to the need to act," said NAACP President Cornell William Brooks. "What we don't have is a consensus as to how to act, what to act on and how to do this in some kind of priority order."

The Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old who had scuffled with Ferguson officer Darren Wilson, came just a few weeks after Eric Garner — an unarmed black man accused of illegally selling cigarettes — died in a struggle with white New York City officers. Garner's death was captured by an onlooker's video. Brown's was not, and word quickly spread that he had been shot while surrendering with his hands up — an assertion uncorroborated by state and federal investigations.

Some Ferguson protesters burned stores and threw rocks and Molotov cocktails at heavily armored police, who fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse crowds — all under the lens of live, national media coverage. The protests again turned violent when a Missouri grand jury decided not to charge Wilson. And similar riots broke out in Baltimore in April following the funeral of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died after being injured in police custody.

The AP analysis of legislation passed in all 50 states found the greatest interest in officer cameras that can capture what transpires between police and civilians. Sixteen states passed body-camera measures this year, ranging from resolutions merely creating study panels to state grants subsidizing cameras and new laws on how they can be used. Numerous cities from coast-to-coast, including Ferguson, also began using the cameras without waiting for legislative direction.

"Right now, all law enforcement has an image problem," said California Assemblyman Reginald Jones-Sawyer, a Democrat from Los Angeles whose budget subcommittee allotted $1 million for a pilot project outfitting some Highway Patrol troopers with cameras. "They've got to show that they can police their own."

Just three states — Colorado, Connecticut and Illinois — have passed comprehensive packages of legislation encouraging body cameras, boosting police training on such things as racial biases and requiring independent investigations when police shoot people. Colorado and Connecticut also are among several states that bolstered citizen rights to take videos of police.

Police groups have been urging lawmakers to proceed with caution when altering laws on the way they do their jobs. They stress that officers involved in shootings deserve fair investigations and that surplus military equipment typically is used by police for defensive purposes. Any Ferguson-inspired changes should focus on training police commanders to make better decisions on when and how to use their officers and equipment, said Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Police are frustrated by the tone of the national debate, he said.

"While we're trying to save lives, politicians are trying to save their jobs," he said.

Police unions still hold considerable sway in some states, including in Missouri, where lawmakers filed about 65 bills stemming from the events in Ferguson. Legislators passed just one of them — a measure limiting municipal court fines and traffic tickets in response to complaints about aggressive law enforcement designed to generate revenue. Most notably, Missouri made no change to its law on when police can use deadly force, even though it apparently doesn't comply with a 1985 U.S. Supreme Court ruling barring deadly force against unarmed fleeing suspects who pose no serious danger.

"As a state, we have not done much," said Missouri state Sen. Maria Chappelle-Nadal, who represents Ferguson and was among the protesters who were tear-gassed by police. "We have a bunch of chumps who are elected right now who are more comfortable keeping the status quo."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who has rallied with relatives of Brown and Garner, described Missouri's response as "disappointing" and indicative of an "institutional denial" of the need for change.

But Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says the "landmark" municipal courts bill is an "important step." A commission he created has proposed 148 steps to improve police and court policies, racial and economic equality and local schools. Nixon also created an Office of Community Engagement and a summer jobs program for young people in the St. Louis area.

Other governors also have acted without waiting for legislators. After a rookie Cleveland patrolman fatally shot a 12-year-old boy who was holding a pellet gun in November, Ohio Gov. John Kasich created a panel to develop the state's first-ever standards for police use of deadly force. And New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed an executive order directing appointment of special prosecutors to investigate police killings of unarmed civilians.

In South Carolina, the Ferguson-inspired bills didn't pick up steam until the issue hit closer to home, when a bystander's cellphone video showed a white North Charleston officer fatally shooting an unarmed black man in the back in April. Two months later, Gov. Nikki Haley signed a bill allowing state aid for police agencies to buy body cameras.

Advocates for police accountability pushed hard in Maryland this legislative session with limited success, winning passage of bills covering body camera policies and fatal incident reporting. Gray's death occurred shortly after the session ended. Now Maryland lawmakers have formed a panel to further examine public safety and police practices, and civil rights activists there are urging lawmakers to do more.

Ezekiel Edwards, director of the ACLU's criminal law reform project, said states can't expect to make real progress by merely equipping officers with cameras or providing more training. He said states must also provide better education, employment and housing opportunities for residents.

"There's been a tremendous amount done over the past year," Edwards said, "but there is a massive amount of work that is left to do going forward."

___

Associated Press writers Brian Witte in Annapolis, Maryland; Seanna Adcox and Meg Kinnard in Columbia, South Carolina; Andrew Welsh-Huggins and Julie Carr Smyth in Columbus, Ohio; David Klepper in Albany, New York; and Don Thompson in Sacramento, California, contributed to this repor
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 02:23 pm

Northern California police department is reviewing a video showing one of its officers pulling a gun on a man who was recording him on his cellphone.

The video, posted on YouTube, shows a Rohnert Park Public Safety officer driving toward Don McComas as he's filming. As McComas moves in closer to record the license plate number on the officer’s police SUV, the officer stops, gets out and tells McComas to take his hand out of his pocket.

McComas replies: “No sir, I’ve done nothing. I have done absolutely nothing. No.”
Body camera video undercuts police account of skid row shooting, suit says
Body camera video undercuts police account of skid row shooting, suit says

The officer removes his gun from his holster, speaks into his radio and says, “Seriously.”

McComas responds, “Put your gun down, really?”

The video shows McComas backing away as the officer motions the gun toward him.

Interested in the stories shaping California? Sign up for the free Essential California newsletter >>

McComas repeats he did nothing wrong and tells the officer not to touch him.

When McComas asks why the officer stepped out of his vehicle, the officer responds, “You taking a picture of me. I am taking a picture of you.” The officer then asked whether McComas was “some kind of a constitutionalist or crazy guy or something like that.”

“Why are you doing this?” the officer asks McComas, who responds, “Why are you sitting here with your gun on me? This is why I am doing this. To protect myself from you.”

McComas was not detained or arrested.
See the most-read stories this hour >>

As the officer walks away, he tells McComas, “Go ahead, have a nice day and put it on YouTube. I don’t really care.”

Rohnert Park Mayor Amy Ahanotu and City Manager Darrin Jenkins said in a statement that an internal review will be conducted to determine if the proper protocols were followed.

“We’ve been made aware of this matter, and we are taking it seriously,” they said. “We understand the concerns that have been raised by our community and others and we want the public to know that your trust in law enforcement in our city is a top priority.”
cComments

@rickyjay1 Wreck less. Get it? No wrecks and not reckless. They even have dictionary apps these days but spellcheck won't help idiots...duuude.
surf city rod
at 11:46 AM August 06, 2015

Add a comment See all comments

McComas said he was in front of his home and hooking his boat to a trailer when he saw the Rohnert Park Public Safety officer drive into his neighborhood.

The officer, he said, made a few turns before stopping to face McComas. The officer did nothing but point at McComas and his home, McComas said.

McComas became concerned, so he pulled out his camera and started filming.

“The arrogance he showed me shouldn't come from an officer of the law,” he said. “They should de-escalate, not escalate or provoke.”

For breaking news in California, follow @VeronicaRochaLA.
NSFW (view)
engineer

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Yes, we all have rights. Does that mean we are correct in choosing to exercise a particular right every single time?

Yes. Every time we decide not to exercise a right because we are scared, we lose it. If the police can threaten you to make you give up your rights, you don't really have any.

chai2 wrote:
Come on people. If a cop tells you to take your ******* hand out of your pocket, do it. Don't act appalled when a gun is drawn on you.

Why? This police officer approached a man and with no reason demanded he remove his hand from his pocket and pulled a gun on him. I'm appalled, everyone should be appalled. By asserting his rights, HE WON! The cop backed down and left, effectively admitting he was wrong all the time. What if he stops filming and pulls his hand out of his pocket? With a cowed citizen, does the policeman take it to the next level? Maybe taking the phone, maybe arresting the man? Maybe when the guy pulls his hand out, the policeman shots him claiming he felt threatened.

Quote:
Police officers are now expected to be perfect, and flawless every instant.

No, I think police officers are expected to be guardians of the public at every instant, not enforcers of the peace.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

“The arrogance he showed me shouldn't come from an officer of the law,” he said. “They should de-escalate, not escalate or provoke.”

it seems too many officers have forgotten that this is their job

provoking people is not their job
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I believe it has to do with the militarization of police. Add to it that in some big cities less than half live in the cities they "patrol". Plus all the shoot exercises they do when we all know the vast majority of cops will never draw and fire their weapons in real life.

They're way too juiced up to get to a shooting situation they sometimes forget that the kid they just shot was 12 with a toy.

They aren't in combat. They're on American soil protecting Americans.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:52 pm
Back tomorrow and I will probably differ.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 10:00 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Every time we decide not to exercise a right because we are scared, we lose it. If the police can threaten you to make you give up your rights, you don't really have any.

No. Sometimes you choose not to exercise a right not because you're scared, but it's the smart, for the situation, thing to do.

Just because you choose not to exercise a right doesn't mean you are scared.

chai2 wrote:
Come on people. If a cop tells you to take your ******* hand out of your pocket, do it. Don't act appalled when a gun is drawn on you.
Why?

This police officer approached a man and with no reason demanded he remove his hand from his pocket and pulled a gun on him. I'm appalled, everyone should be appalled.

Wait. Let me make sure I'm hearing you right. You're a police officer and tell someone to take their hand out of their pocket, not knowing if that person has a gun or other weapon in their pocket, and you're appalled? Why would anyone in their right mind have an objection to taking their hand out of their pocket, and be surprised if the officer then drew their weapon when they wouldn't comply?
Frankly, I'm appalled at the entitlement people are exhibiting that they can do anything they want that in the larger picture is totally against their self interest, acting like they are suffering some enormous harm because someone is violating their "rights" to prove some sort of point on youtube or other social media circus side show.

If a cop tells you to take your hand out of your pocket, take your ******* hand out of your pocket. What possibly reason beyond some whiny "it's my right" would you have not to do so unless you were hiding something?

Quote:

No, I think police officers are expected to be guardians of the public at every instant, not enforcers of the peace.
[/quote]

Why? If they are enforcing peace, they are guarding the public. More importantly in this case, I would say the officer was looking after making sure he was safe himself.

It's like the country has lost its collective mind and forgets that every single time an officer of the law stops a car, approaches someone (and in this case how do we know the officer didn't have cause to approach this person) he or she is literally putting themselves into a situation where anything might suddenly happen.
All of a sudden the average person who has no police training, has never been confronted with a situation where the tables were turned in an instant, and does not see anything beyond some video taken on someone's iphone knows all about how the cop should have acted, and is the expert on what should be done. Where are all the videos where the cop is pulling dangerous armed people off the street, protecting the public?

You know, a few years ago at the bottom of my street, an officer pulled a car over for a traffic violation, got out, approached the car, and when he got up the the drivers window was shot dead on the spot.

There were many cars standing still by the car pulled over at the time, since it was at a light that takes a few cycles to get through. Witnesses said the police officer had barely made it up to the window when he was killed.

These people are putting their lives on the line every day, and I for one am not going to second guess every instruction they give me if they approach me on the street or in their car. Not out of fear, but because they have a job that I choose not to make harder for them by acting like some self righteous jackass.
chai2

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 10:07 pm
BTW, that guy that wouldn't take his hand out of his pocket sounds like a paranoid jerk that's off his meds.

I love it when he says "you know I don't have a weapon"

Now how would the cop know that?

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 07:05 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Just because you choose not to exercise a right doesn't mean you are scared.

No, but if the police can scare you into giving up your rights, something is really wrong. Right to remain silent? Freedom from unwarranted search? Do we really want the police to think that they can pull a gun on you and void that right?

chai2 wrote:
engineer wrote:
chai2 wrote:
Why?

This police officer approached a man and with no reason demanded he remove his hand from his pocket and pulled a gun on him. I'm appalled, everyone should be appalled.

Wait. Let me make sure I'm hearing you right. You're a police officer and tell someone to take their hand out of their pocket, not knowing if that person has a gun or other weapon in their pocket, and you're appalled? Why would anyone in their right mind have an objection to taking their hand out of their pocket, and be surprised if the officer then drew their weapon when they wouldn't comply?
Frankly, I'm appalled at the entitlement people are exhibiting that they can do anything they want that in the larger picture is totally against their self interest, acting like they are suffering some enormous harm because someone is violating their "rights" to prove some sort of point on youtube or other social media circus side show.

Yes, I'm appalled. This police officer came across the street because this guy had a camera and with no provocation pulled his gun. Shouldn't you have a legitimate concern before pulling a gun? Every citizen should be appalled. As to entitlement, yes, people are entitled to rights. Rights aren't something you earn, they are something you are entitled to and every citizen should have a strong sense of entitlement about them.
chai2 wrote:
If a cop tells you to take your hand out of your pocket, take your ******* hand out of your pocket. What possibly reason beyond some whiny "it's my right" would you have not to do so unless you were hiding something?

What other reason do you need? If a police officer comes to your house and says I want to search and no, I don't have a warrant, what possible reason beyond some whiny "it's my right" would you have for saying no? What about waiting for a lawyer before questioning by police?

chai2 wrote:
engineer wrote:
chai2 wrote:

Why? If they are enforcing peace, they are guarding the public. More importantly in this case, I would say the officer was looking after making sure he was safe himself.

I completely disagree. To me it clearly looks like he didn't like being filmed so he was going to "enforce the peace" to the exclusion of "guard the public". No way the public got safer when he pulled that gun. When police safety is a higher priority than public safety police are not guarding the public. In 2014, 126 police were killed in the line of duty, a spike up from 2013 when it was 102. Of those 126, 50 were by firearms.Police killed 1106 people. Some of those were self defense, but a good number, as we are hearing more and more about, were not. A policeman has no more right to pull a gun on a camera wielding citizen as you or I do. Are you ok with me pulling a gun on someone taking a picture of me? I expect police to be better trained and more restrained than the average Joe and if the average Joe pulled a gun, I would want him in jail.

chai2 wrote:
You know, a few years ago at the bottom of my street, an officer pulled a car over for a traffic violation, got out, approached the car, and when he got up the the drivers window was shot dead on the spot.

And that is terrible, but a few weeks ago, a police officer walked up to a car and shot dead the unarmed driver then lied about it. Only the video showing the officer was lying gave that victim any chance of justice. I do not want police officers treating each citizen interaction with gun drawn, rights suspended.

chai2 wrote:
These people are putting their lives on the line every day, and I for one am not going to second guess every instruction they give me if they approach me on the street or in their car.

I appreciate the work the police do and have nothing but good interactions with the local police, but I am not willing to grant them a free pass to do whatever they thing is right. Being a taxi driver is more dangerous than being a police officer (taxi drivers are right behind firefighters in terms of occupational risk). Should all taxi drivers approach their fares with gun drawn? A police interaction should not be a life threatening event for the average citizen. When a policeman pulls his gun, it becomes one. No way I give this policeman a pass for creating a potential life threatening situation where one should have never existed.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 07:54 am
I reread and I agree with engineer's viewpoint. At the same time, I likely would have taken my hand out of my pocket.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 08:09 am
@ossobuco,
I would, too, after all: keeping your hand in your pocket may well be a capital crime. And without any sort of due process. Where do we think we are anyway? The US of A?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 08:45 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Being a taxi driver is more dangerous than being a police officer (taxi drivers are right behind firefighters in terms of occupational risk). Should all taxi drivers approach their fares with gun drawn? A police interaction should not be a life threatening event for the average citizen.

I wanted to explore this line a little more so I found the 2013 breakdown of occupational deaths. What makes this interesting is the "shooting by other person - intentional" column, total 322 in 2013. (These are on the job shootings, not all shootings and not homicide by other means.) Some interesting numbers:

Police and sheriff patrol officers: 23
Security guards: 26
Food preparation and serving related occupations: 21
First line supervisors of sales workers: 43 (WTF?)
Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 19
Retail Sales - cashier: 24

These numbers aren't normalized. There are more cashiers (3.3M) out there than first line supervisors of sales workers (2M) and more patrol officers (653K) than taxi drivers (233K) so normalizing would make police look worse than first line sales supervisors and taxi drivers worse than about everything.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 09:01 pm

'He Probably Has AIDS' -- Cops Yell Anti-Gay Slurs as they Brutally Beat Innocent Gay Man
The incident was over an alleged noise complaint.
By Matt Agorist / The Free Thought Project
August 3, 2015

Staten Island, NY — Louis Falcone was lying in bed on the night of June 19, when four NYPD cops showed up to his front door, pulled him outside and began beating him.

The incident was over an alleged noise complaint. According to Falcone, his brother showed up at 4:30 in the morning “obnoxiously drunk,” and the pair got into a heated argument.

“We had words,” Falcone said. “I was yelling at him; he was yelling at me.”

However, the argument quickly ended, his brother left, and Falcone was attempting to go back to sleep when the four public servants showed up to dole out a beat down.

“As I’m talking to them through the screen door, they’re saying to come outside,” Falcone told the NY Daily News. “I said, ‘For what?”

Then, according to Falcone, his dog began barking, at which point the cops threatening to kill it.

“The cops said, ‘Get your dog out of here or I’ll f***ing kill it!’” Falcone says. “I was like, ‘What do you mean you’re going to kill my dog?’”

As he was attempting to tell his dog to get back, he was pulled outside by one of the cops.

“They threw me against the concrete in front of my house,” he said. “My first reaction was to try to get up a little bit.”

A neighbor from across the street captured the incident on video.

In the video, you can see an officer go into the house and Falcone is dragged out into the yard. All four officers then proceed to pile on top of him and begin their attack. At one point, an officer can be seen stomping Falcone.

It was at this point, according to Falcone that the officers began yelling their homophobic slurs. While the only audible sounds on the short video, are Falcone’s screams of agony, he says as they beat him they called him a “f**”and a “f****t.”

Falcone recounted the beating to the NY Daily News, “While I was on the ground, I had mud and blood in my mouth,” he said. “One (of the cops) said, ‘Don’t let it get on you, he probably has AIDS, the f****t.’”

Falcone, who had just undergone surgery on his foot and was wearing a boot, was beaten to the point of hospitalization. Falcone says he was left with a broken nose, two black eyes, cuts to his face and body, and needed more foot surgery.

After Falcone was brutally assaulted by these officers, he was never charged with a crime. He has since hired an attorney and plans to sue in federal court for civil rights violations.

“How can you do that – four people on one skinny, scrawny little guy?” Falcone’s lawyer, Eric Subin asked. “They’re criminals; they belong behind bars.”
0 Replies