The Hammer Is Going To Be Nailed

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:14 pm
Things are getting worse for Tom DeLay. News broke this morning that he has been subpoenaed to testify about his office sending Homeland Security agents after his political opponents.

He has to be in court on Monday.

The news comes the morning after your contributions put the first-ever TV ad by Democracy for America on the air in his district.

The ad went up at 6:00 p.m. last night and is still running. Next week Al Franken will be headlining an event in New York to beef up the rotation and keep the ad up through Election Day. It will stay on the air as long as you keep it going.

This race is close--and getting closer. An Associated Press story from before the subpoena picked up on the discontent with DeLay in his hometown. From that article:

"I think he ought to quit," said Amin Abdulla, 45, who owns an ice cream shop and who has voted for DeLay in the past. "I was in denial for the last year. But the reality is I'm disappointed to see how much he's abused power. He takes it for granted.

"I would recall him in a heartbeat," Abdulla said.

A lot can happen in the next week and a half. Don't just follow the story of Tom DeLay's collapse--be a part of it:

retiretomdelay
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:25 pm
Is the redistricting issue in Texas a done deed?

Was it "legal"?

Any idea if / how it will affect the election ?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:28 pm
The courts are still reviewing that. I feel the GOP will prevail and that the impact will be mainly on local elections at first. However, it will result in less elected Democrats to help on all levels.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:36 pm
angie wrote:
Is the redistricting issue in Texas a done deed?

The Supreme Court remanded the case back to the state of Texas. The three-judge panel, which established Congressional districts in 2001 when the Lege couldn't agree, will do so once again.

But not in time for this year.
0 Replies