farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 12:00 pm
@farmerman,
I gotta say though, why anyone with more than a nerve ganglion for a brain responds to QUAHOG, is beyond me. He is obviously a follower of Crisco Dollar the fuckhead e-preacher and "HOG has a super fondness for ONLY Creationist clips and he is a major liar to boot.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 12:12 pm
Hey Setanta and Edgar. Can we get a list of who the trolls are?

If we are supposed to shun them (as you have each suggested), we should at least know who they are. Ostracizing someone doesn't have the desired effect if the in crowd doesn't all know who is being ostracized.

It isn't fair that you call on all of the good people of Able2know to shun a group of people if you don't specify who they are.

Quote:
As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list — I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed — who never would be missed!
There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs —
All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs —
All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat —
All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like that —
And all third persons who on spoiling tête-á-têtes insist —
They'd none of 'em be missed — they'd none of 'em be missed!
Chorus.
He's got 'em on the list — he's got 'em on the list;
And they'll none of 'em be missed — they'll none of 'em be missed.

NSFW (view)
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 12:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, the other thread which called on the good people of Able2Know to ostracize the people known as "trolls" was yours, was it not? You did refer to your thread from this thread.

You and Setanta are very clearly dividing people on Able2know into "trolls" and "non-trolls" group. And you have put each other in the "non-trolls" group, that's how these cliques work.

I am objecting to the calls to the community at large to join you in shunning people who disagree with you. That is the reason that reasoned discussion is so difficult on Able2know.

Shunning is not a good thing for a community such as ours with diverse opinions. The only reason to label someone a "troll" is to get the community to shun them. If you don't like what someone is saying, or how they are saying it, you can either ignore them, or you can answer in a reasoned way (without name-calling or personal attacks).

This bullying behavior from you, Setanta, EhBeth, Izzy and the rest of the "non-trolls" against the "trolls" is not a good thing.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 12:37 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Beyond that, there might be a little bit of... "The only thing necessary for the triumph of ignorance is for knowledgeable men to say nothing" (a small twist on an old saw).

<nods>

worth remembering once in a while
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 01:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, if you really want a list, start with maxdancona. I will get back to you on the rest. Or not.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes Edgar. I am definitely on the "troll" group, and you are int the "non-troll" group. I have never been one of the cool kids. (I have always stood up to bullying though).

I guess the real question is, why do you and Setanta feel the need to divide people into groups this way; trolls vs. non-trolls. Opinions and arguments should be judged by the merit, not by some personal label assigned by the in crowd.

These labels make Able2know a much nastier place, and the attempts to get everyone to shun the out-group of "trolls" is nothing but bullying. Let's call it what it is. The "non-trolls" are attempting to exert social control to stamp out dissent.

Who cares if someone believes in Creationism? I don't agree with them, but I see no reason to treat labeling them a "troll". The name-calling and personal attacks against people simply for disagreeing with what you, Setanta and the other "non-trolls" feel is true isn't warranted.

If you don't want to discussion Creationism with a Creationist, that is fine. Just don't be a bully about it.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 01:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Comedy and humor - a dying art on a2k. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 06:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
what are the "lefties" saying about the A bomb??

Briefly, they say that Japan was already offering to surrender but we bombed them anyway just to freak out Stalin, and sometimes they say that we intentionally targeted civilians.

And they offer a bunch of untrue nonsense to further those untrue claims.

farmerman wrote:
I always assumed your name came from a past job association at Y-12

No, it is more symbolic of passionate interest.

It's kind of cool that I've been able to figure out the Obama Administration's plan for new nuclear warheads, while the experts who work for various disarmament groups are still struggling to figure out what is being proposed. Some of those experts have impressive credentials.

Without going into too much detail and boring everyone, the Obama Administration is proposing new warhead designs that are designed to be interchangeable between ICBM and SLBM. But once you figure out the details of what they are doing, it is pretty clear that most of the new warheads will also have a significant yield increase over the warheads that they will be replacing. The Obama Administration isn't advertising the yield increase though.

I'm curious how many years it's going to take those nuclear physics PhDs to catch up with me. A few years from now we're probably going to hear the anti-nuke groups start a frenzied yammering once they catch on to the hidden yield increases.
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:16 pm
@oralloy,
So you consider all the denomination members of the "National Council of CHurches" (whatever they were called in 1946), as "LEFTIES. Also D Eisenhower, when informed of the plans to drop a bomb, QUESTIONED its necessity .
We were already fire bombing Osaka and Tokyo (etc etc) and killing more people with napalm (pwr visit) than we would with an atomic bomb. But noone seems to have been questioning the use of Napalm bomblets that essentially burn down these balsa cities in an evenings raid.

Did the Japanese really surrener unconditionally? How come we let em keep the damn emperor??
neologist

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:25 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
. . . The other nice thing about a Creation/Evolution debate (at least if you're on the Evolution side) is that you don't have to think very hard to win the debate. . .
Thank you for that observation. Most professing belief in evolution are, indeed, not familiar with serious thought.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:34 pm
I gotta say. Rosbourne nailed it.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Congratulations Rosbourne. I think that means you are part of the in-crowd (and therefore not a troll).

I like you anyway.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Aw. Max. Is Max sulking? You know, if you take a poll to see who gives a damn about this, you are likely to be standing in the turnip patch practically alone.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 08:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
By way, i want to thank Roswell for what appears to have been a candidly honest response.

It was an honest response. I thought it was a fair question; why do we spend our time in threads where we are not going to make any headway? I've heard it said before that debating a Creationist is like banging your head against a brick wall, except far less likely to succeed.

On rare occasions I find some level of philosophical difference at the heart of the disagreement, but those instances are extremely rare.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not at all Edgar, I am happy for Rosborne. And with the angry tone of your responses, you obviously are a little sensitive about the "in-crowd" thing.

You really shouldn't be though, you are one of the cool kids. You don't have to pay us "trolls" who aren't part of the in-crowd any mind.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 08:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am a bit curious about where the line is between "trolls" and "non-trolls" really falls. I think I have most of the members sorted out as far as who you, Setanta and friends consider a troll, and who you consider a "non-troll", but there are a couple people who I am not sure about.

Is Frank a troll or a non-troll?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 08:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Congratulations Rosbourne. I think that means you are part of the in-crowd (and therefore not a troll).

I'm not trying to be part of any group. I'm just trying to answer the questions and to offer my own perspective on things.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 09:12 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I'm just trying to answer the questions and to offer my own perspective on things.

That's what I am trying to do too Rosborne, answer questions and offer my own perspective. I didn't mean to put you down, I like your posts.

My comments are directed toward the in-crowd who decide which of us are "trolls" and which of us are not. Somehow you made the cut and are accepted by the "non-trolls" as one of them. That is not your fault, enjoy it. Just remember to put in a good word for people who aren't so lucky.

Those of us who aren't part of the in-crowd deserve to have a voice too. That is all I am saying.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 09:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
trashed two threads i started...also trashed a thread
Oh NO ! Not threads YOU started ! That must be awful for you ! Do you cry yourself to sleep ?

I have read many of your posts and most are direct steals from books like "How Wars Begin", so much direct copying without acknowledgement that you are in danger of breaking copyright law .

You are here to kick people when you think they are down . If anyone wants to read opinionated bullshit you cant go past history but you dont understand that ....your inability to understand science means you have to think of yourself as an historian and you usually get the unplagiarised parts very wrong . Such as forgetting Napoleon was exiled 1814/1815 .

I have seen some of the "scientific" attacks on religion by clowns here, and they are as full of emotional bullshit as some of the religious nutters defense of the literal Bible . Science DOES NOT prove religion is wrong nor that God does not exist . The Bible does not say anything on the subject of science . There are fools on both sides .

Quote:
i advise that no one else do so either
I wouldnt take your advice if you warned of a train coming . You are here to kick people when you think they are down . You are a coward, a bully and hold severe delusions about what you know .

0 Replies