Leaving before I get banned.

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
wonder what makes the Dutchers so admired?

Dutchers? Admired? By whom?

(Hey, this could get interesting)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:00 pm
Hey, maybe nimh could help me out here. When my grandfather died, years ago, I inherited a bunch of liquor, including a bottle of Dutch gin he brought back from WWII. I think it was called Fokking gin. I found that pretty funny. It was horrible. Do you know if it's still produced? It would make a great 'gag' gift.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:43 pm
There is a simple reason why the Dutch were so negatively portrayed by the English (through proverbs): JEALOUSY. The English just couldn't bare the thought that the Dutchmen were just a perfect nation :wink: That's why they started to discredit the Dutch in their proverbs. That's just the whole thing!

PS: I do understand this is a subjective opinion.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:42 pm
nimh--

Thanks for the explanation of your Left, and Right! It was really helpful.

Phoenix, husker, Ash andsome others who made nimh's list---

I tried to focus on the regular players on political threads. Phoenix was iffy, because I don't see her nearly as often as I'd like, and because I don'tfind her predictable. (Predictable is not considered bad--as I am pretty predictable, meeself.) And hardly see Husk, or Ash there anymore. There were others on nimh's list I didn't think fit--but it IS HIS list... Smile

I was working from the pool of regular suspects, which IMO are overwhelmingly liberal--as contrasted with the small motley crew of conservatives...

This has been a neat couple of pages!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
. . . wonder what makes the Dutchers so admired?

Heineken does it for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:49 pm
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:56 pm
Dutchies are good, especially if they're fresh out of the oven.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:32 pm
Sofia wrote:
Hard to believe you'd even question the numbers--percentages of political posters.
joe
(thinking; I know there's plenty more.)

Could you be more specific?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:35 pm
did anyone mention perception?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 11:37 pm
I'm very glad, no-one started to conclude until now that 'Dutch' in the USA is often 'German' originally. :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:37 am
ehBeth wrote:
did anyone mention perception?

he doesnt post anymore, does he? i tried to leave the people who dont post anymore off of my list. Scrat and Tarantulas I still put on there tho their last posts were in May, and MichaelAllen disappeared in January but returned last month for a handful of posts.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:41 am
Sofia wrote:
There were others on nimh's list I didn't think fit--but it IS HIS list... Smile

Damn right! <grins>

I'm curious tho - which ones on my list would you not consider right-wing? It would be interesting to compare - if people dont take offence, I mean ...

hhmmm ...

I guess you might get a bunch of posts going, "Sofia, you dont think those are right-wingers! Are you crazy, you must be a rabid one yourself! etc etc" ... ok, so perhaps not ... <sighs>
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:59 am
Actually the media has done a pretty good job of making it look like being right wing is something to be ashamed of. I don't get it. It's like "you're only cool if it's not a priority for you to be as success-oriented and economically stable as you can be." Meanwhile, who are the richest people in America? Those who control the media are right up there, I guarantee it.

Then the media fans the flames and seems to try to stir up as much anger in these very same people trying to make them really resent the right wing as if someone's personal success or failure is someone else's fault aside from their own.

Anger, anger, anger.

Which is it, media? Is it cool to be successful or cool to not care if you are?? And if financial success isn't a priority with someone, why should he/she be angry with people to whom it is of utmost importance? We're not all the same, why should we be?

Seems to me it's "all about money," so the media moguls are hardly cool themselves, but they are pretty hypocritical.

I see this all as being very destructive and it accomplishes nothing but create more of a divide in the general public, which is exactly what the media seems to want. The old "us against them" mentality.

Just more manipulative hot button topic crap in my opinion.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
What media those be, SueZCue?

Its not exactly like being "liberal" or "leftist" is bandied around on the airwaves by ways of respectful compliment either, is it?
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:19 am
Doesn't matter which side it is, I just find the manipulation and hypocrisy insulting and have learned to ignore it as much as I possibly can. Don't buy into it.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:00 pm
SueZCue wrote:
Doesn't matter which side it is, I just find the manipulation and hypocrisy insulting and have learned to ignore it as much as I possibly can. Don't buy into it.

So you never watch Fox, then? Confused
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
nimh wrote:
Sofia wrote:
I don't think we have an authentic Conservative here.

Timber and I are very liberal socially--but I guess we would count.

Bird
Me
McG?
Brand X
Fox

We've lost most of the others I'm thinking of...
(More thinking)

OK ... <grins>

Here's my very subjective list of prolific right-wingers and doubtful cases

Fishin'--yep
Asherman--not a regular player anymore, sadly.
Timber--yep
Finn d'Abuzz--yep
Ican711--yep
Karzak--so new, and I haven't read that much, but possibly yep.
McGentrix--yep
Brand X--yep
Steissd--rarely here.
Phoenix--not a regular on political pages, and not so easily definable to me.
cjhsa--not a regular on political pages.
mysteryman--seen alotof'pro-American stuff, but I haven't seen much else--doesn't mean it's not there. Possibly yep.
au1929 (he may be anti-Bush, that dont make him no leftie) Pro-Israel doesn't make him a Rightie, but I couldn't easily place him. Often has the opposite view from mine--Possible.
swolf--Haven't read much.
James Morrison--Not on the pages much at all, unfortunately!
Sofia--yep
Thomas--I don't think so.
Coastal Rat--Political pages?
Moishe 3rd--Only seen him on one or two issues.
Foxfyre--yep
LRR Hood--I don't think so. A recent post makes me think he/she has gone to the dark side. Smile
Miller--Not enough info. Haven't read enough.
Fedral--Absent.
Occom Bill--yep.
Jim--Not a regular in politics, to my estimation--(When I say this, it is largely because of my own recent absences.)
MichaelAllen--never see.
Brandon9000--OK, newish.
Husker--Not on pages regularly.
General Tsao (?)--Yep.
Jarlaxle (?)--Iffy...
Scrat (gone?)--Gone
Tarantulas (gone?)--Gone.
Georgeob1 (missed)--Gone.

Oh, and Gus of course Razz

So, I see a net gain of 4, with some possibles, owing tomy lack of knowledge about their posts.

I still see overwhelming liberals posting regularly in politics.

Not that that's a complaint, just wanted to back up my belief in whoever asserted it was a fact.

------
joe--

I put you on that list, because I consider you to espouse liberal views as compared to the conservative posters here. Just sort of playing around an issue I think is interesting. No insult or negative characterization intended. I always enjoy reading you.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
I don't know the difference in a right-winger and a conservative...

I thought all left-wingers were liberal thinkers--and all right-wingers were right-leaning. I really don't think there's a difference.

Perhaps the 'connotation' is meant to be a little more negative, but I don't mind being called a right-winger.

It would be incorrect to refer to me as being from the right-wing of the GOP, however.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 01:08 pm
Sofia wrote:

joe--

I put you on that list, because I consider you to espouse liberal views as compared to the conservative posters here. Just sort of playing around an issue I think is interesting. No insult or negative characterization intended. I always enjoy reading you.

Sofia, no offense taken. I just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about Joe Nation or joeblow or any of the other joes that might be hanging around here.
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 01:16 pm
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:45:24